1. Endricte

Endricte New Member

Newbie Alert!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Endricte, Mar 6, 2010.

Hello all!

My name is Joe, but I'm fine going by my alter ego, Endricte, too! Joe is probably easier to remember, though.

Actually, I've posted a few times on the site and this is the first I've seen this section. Whoops!

Anywho, I've been writing off and on for a number of years, and love it and am dedicated to it, until life gets in the way and I have to focus on other things. Right now I'm at a place again to start writing and read other stories.

I hope to contribute something to the site, and hope I can be of assistance. I'm by no means an expert, but I like to critique fairly. I have the belief that doing so can also be benificial to my own work.

Well, right now I'm working on a novel. It's been two years since I've written anything, so I'm probably pretty rusty. Hopefully, when I get around to posting something on here anything anyone has to offer will enlighten me to the blindspots I've developed.

Glad to be here!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hi Joe, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Tigress

Tigress New Member

Hi Joe! :)

4. Endricte

Endricte New Member

Hi Tigress! I just moved from Athens, GA up to Michigan. I do kind of miss going into Atlanta. But not the traffic!;)

Thanks for the info Cogito. :)

5. Tigress

Tigress New Member

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the traffic either, but it's not bad enough to get me to move. I actually live in Lawrenceville, NE of Atl, and have been here for 20 years this July.

What prompted you to move to MI?

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forums. :)

7. Endricte

Endricte New Member

My family lives up here. I'd been moving around since '94, and thought it was time to come back home. It's really different around these parts. I wasn't very interested in the slow pace of life when I was younger. Now, though, I kinda like it. :)

Yeah, I remember going into Lawrenceville on occasion. Can't remember what for exactly for now, though, but I did like to visit. Doesn't Lawrenceville have that mall with the awesome movie theater? If so, I think that's where we went to watch movies, rather than the Mall of Georgia in Buford.

I do kind of miss the 70mph speed limit along 85. Roads aren't so straight and smooth up here. :(

8. Endricte

Endricte New Member

Thank you! :)

9. Tigress

Tigress New Member

AMC Colonial 18? Or are you talking about the other AMC at Discover Mills? Been to both, and yes, they are awesome. ROFL

10. Endricte

Endricte New Member

Yeah, Discover Mills! :) Loved the ticket kiosk out towards the front. And their huge food court and that Applebee's was a good way to kill some time while waiting for a movie. Ah, good times, good times.