1. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Newbie basic question

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gottagocit, Jan 1, 2011.

Hello board. I hope you don't find this question or others I may come up with to be too basic for the board.

A couple years ago I got an idea for a book that I just couldn't let go of and even though I had no real experience writing I decided to give it a shot. Since then it's been an on again off again project but I've enjoyed it tremendously. I was very near the end of the story back in the summer and got busy on a job related porjected and had to put it down.

On a trip last fall I realized I needed to answer a most basic question about writing and have finally gotten around to finding a forum where I felt I could ask it and get good advice.

Here goes. The characters in my story travel to a couple areas where well know landmarks exists which I"ve used in the story. They'd compare to the Seattle Needle and a private owned building. The landmarks are important to the story given the specific location the story is related to. Can I use the actual names of the places in the book without written permission from the structures owners?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Yes you can.

And don't worry, it's the type of question that these forums are for. Just don't ask any questions like "I have this awesome idea, (insert description), should I write it or not" or "I've got this awesome MC all figured out, but feed me a plot." Some people post stuff like that, glad to see you don't. :D

Now, if we're talking about songs, you need permission...places, no you don't (unless it's a random person's house or something)

Welcome to the forums!

3. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Thanks Mallory for the quick reply. I promise not to ask the board for help coming up with a plot or story....lol. That sounds like something that someone should be able to come up with if they are thinking about writing. Maybe I'm strange but the high level story or plot was easy. I've struggled a bit with details like keeping the reader interested in the characters I introduce by trying to give them details like facial features and such. Dialogue is sometimes a strain also as I try to explain what I'm wanting the reader to extract from the words and where it's taking the story. I'm getting there though and will try to finish the first writing and begin the cleanup (I call it) with editing and making sure the entire thing flows. Hopefully I'll get that done in the coming weeks and begin the long process of trying to get it published. I'll come up with many questions between now and then I'm sure. Thanks again! Chris

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

No problem! And asking about plot-related stuff is okay if you have a specific plot hole or something, but not for simple verification or feeding of basic ideas. People will jump on your throat if you do, but aside from that this forum is VERY nice. And very addicting. :)

5. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Mallory has answered your question.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and good luck with the writing.

What's your story about? :)

6. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk Member

Welcome to the boards. I too would like to hear a little more about your project. :)

7. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Re: Newbie question

My story is about one civil war mission to use the spoils of war to finance Lincoln's war against the south and how the bounty of the secret work is lost to history. Over a century later the mission is discovered and a trail of clues heats up the search for what may remain lost to time.

I have around 350 pages on paper and just need to complete the final climatic ending. You know the line....I have that in my head bust just need to write it down and get to the editing.