1. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

I'm a newb here with some questions.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Nick Kilcoyne, Nov 6, 2012.

So in order to submit works for review, you have to review other works two times consecutively? This sounds good but how is this stuff tracked? How do I know what I am ok to submit work? Is it self tracked or do I get permission from somebody?

So anything posted on the workshop must stay there indefinitely? Does writingforum.org have ownership or rights to everything posted here or am I still the owner of my work? How do most people deal with this? Is it best to just not post things that I want to use commercially in the future?

Also, why isn't here a general off-topic board?

That's all for now.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

We have automated code on the site, so that once you've done your two reviews (as well as having 20 posts overall and being a member for 14 days) then you'll find you're able to start a thread in the Writing Workshop. If this doesn't happen, or there are any problems, feel free to PM myself or any of the staff.

We leave works on the site as a resource for learning writers, so they can see how it has been critiqued, how problems have been isolated and resolved. You are still the owner of your work, but in posting you licence us to host it. As long as you're only posting an excerpt of a piece, it shouldn't impact on any first sale rights, but only posting things for which you have no commercial aspirations is also a wise idea. And, for the record, non-members cannot view the Writing Workshop. It's a long way from infallible, but it is an extra line of security.

The place for off-topic discussion is The Lounge. It's not unrestricted (the rules still apply), but if you take a look around you'll get the idea.

I hope that helps.

That's all for now.[/QUOTE]

3. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

What about the two consecutive reviews before you can post your own. Is that tracked somehow?

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This shouldn't be an issue because you should want to review regardless. It is useful to help with your own writing as well as understand what other people are doing right/wrong in your eyes. If everyone is just reveiwing to make up the numbers, then the review process becomes pointless; and that goes for your work. So don't worry about how guidelines are enforced, worry about reviewing honestly and with interest. The rest takes care of itself.

And yes, moderators look at your reviews very closely.

5. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

I am just afraid that I won't be paying attention and at some point I won't have reviewed twice before posting.

6. Banzai

Constructive. Not consecutive.

All you need to do is make sure that you've done at least two reviews for each piece of your own work that you want to post. The software automatically detects replies to threads in the Writing Workshop, and that's what it judges it on.

As for the constructive aspect, the mod staff look through critiques periodically to check it.

I wouldn't worry, really. Just get stuck in, and before you know it you'll have met the requirements.

7. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

OOOOH! Reading comprehension for the WIN! That actually make a lot of difference in my understanding of the procedure. Thanks for the clarification.

8. Nick Kilcoyne

Nick Kilcoyne New Member

Ok I've got another one.

Do you bank critiques? In other words, if you do 6 critiques does that then mean you can post 3 of your work? Or is it at least 2 critiques for ever 1 works you post but you can only post 1 works between critiques no matter how many you posted as long as it's at least 2?

Does my question makes sense?

9. Banzai

Yes, your question makes sense, and yes you can bank critiques :)

10. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Hullo,

I'm taking advantage of have your say and getting to touch with sb (as you're a newbie as well, which is the
    connecting part - how I feel it). I would love to hear sb's opinion on foreigners or ppl with English as their
    second language posting here, with love for English who want to start writing. Generally, I get little encouragement
    and at the thought that I am expected to give a constructive critique in order to post my own stuff,
    I'm almost petrified (having seen and read some of the workshop posts already, I'm just in mood to give up
    completely). But I'll just assume I post my 20 comments, which is easy peasy anyway and than try my best
    to constructively comment on sb's writing in hope of being given a chance to show sth of myslef to the world.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you don't feel qualified to adjudge the writing quality, then just critiqe the work from a reader's pov... that will satisfy the requirements so you can then post your own work for review...

i mentor many aspiring writers whose first language is not english, so if you want any help or just an opinion on something, feel free to email me any time at all...

and welcome to the forums!

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com