1. marshmellow

marshmellow New Member

Good morning

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marshmellow, Oct 18, 2013.

Hello everyone. I'm new. I've been writing since I was seven or so, but I've just recently started taking writing classes and attempting to write serious work for profit. Maybe. Hopefully. I'm a psychology major and aspiring forensic psychologist, so a lot of my stories involve criminal and/or abnormal behavior. I'm currently in a creative non-fiction class which I enjoy greatly, but I prefer fiction overall.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Marshmellow. :)

Ok, I have to tell you this true life story of mine about marshmallows! I thought they grew on trees until I was 13. I saw a skit on Sesame Street as a wee lad about a farmer and his marshmallow orchard. They weren't the kind of thing my parents bought, so the misinformation I had from Sesame Street went uncorrected. I'm at a birthday party for my across the street neighbor (Paula) and her mother puts out a bowl of marshmallows along with the other birthday yummies. I feel a moment of unfettered smarty-pantsness come over me and proclaim "Funny, how you can never tell which end is the end that had the stem like on an apple or an orange." Silence followed by uncontrolled laughter at my expense. I became the unwitting entertainment for the rest of the party. :oops: Absolutely true story.

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

@Wreybies - shame your story is invalid, as her username is "marshMELLOW". ;) You tried, man, you tried!

Anyway, welcome, marshmellow. I've been reading "Forensic Psychology for Dummies" for a while now, in-between other books. Interesting stuff. If you could apply it, you would have some great fiction in terms of ideas, at least. See you around the forum. :)

4. marshmellow

marshmellow New Member

Wreybies, that is awesome, and I could see myself believing the same. BBC pulled an April Fool's Day hoax by creating a fake documentary about spaghetti trees and spaghetti harvesting. At the time, few people knew about spaghetti or its production, so many of them believed the story and wrote to the network asking for advice on how they could grow their own spaghetti tree.

Thomas, it does help the writing process quite a bit. I use it often for characterization.

See you around. :)

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Marshmallows growing on trees? I think I've heard about that before...

Well, welcome, marshmellow. I hope you will have a nice time here, and I hope you will get something interesting out of your psychology studies!

The FAQ link is not working, try www.writingforums.org/faq instead. :p