1. kdthomas

kdthomas New Member

Hello ...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kdthomas, Nov 23, 2014.

My name is Kerry, and I'm from Texas ... but don't let that fool you. I am, in fact, a gun-owning, pickup-driving, hard-drinking hillbilly John Birch conservative right-wing, constitution-thumping, fox-news-watching good ole boy.

Well ... not quite. Some of that's true, but not most. I just wanted to make a wisecrack. The truth is, I want to be a better writer. I hope this community will help me do that.

The truth is, it's 7:36 pm, and I'm already drunk. I'm an IT wage slave in his late 40's who's still not sure of a lot of things. I've felt these same keys under my fingers for the past 29 years. I feel them a different way now. They still write code, and write it well, icy logic made to optimize inventory and logistics so as to better enable my masters to sell furniture and decorations to women and gay men in their mid-thirties. I use them to perform a task to get money. It's the lever I pull to get the banana.

But the keys feel different now. Oh I still feel them under my fingers, but now I feel the flow of the stories they tell, not user stories -- in the IT vernacular -- but human stories. Now, I want to let go of them and let them make their way. I am finding a part of myself I never found before. The part that doesn't feel like a real human being unless he can call out to others, and say here ... this thing here ... is what you're missing. Life isn't life unless you see ... this.

Art is more than visual, more than verbal, it is felt ... experienced ... lived. And ... there's a little bit of power in art. An ability (power?) to make others feel what you want them to feel ... maybe even what they don't want to feel. Or, at least expect to feel. I sometimes have the conceit that I ... this man with the keys under his fingers ... can do exactly that.

Maybe I can.

I'll shut up now ... and try to learn something.

Your friend,
    --Kerry

minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. If that John Bircher stuff wasn't a joke you might have an interesting contribution or two to make in the debate room. Fox news, on the other hand, not so much. :p

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Kerry! (Love your name, by the way. When I was about eleven or so, I had a friend whose name was Kerry and he was a great boy. I've had positive feelings about the name ever since.)

Here's our New Member Quick Start Guide. It'll get you going around here. Participate and have fun!

4. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Art is visceral. Welcome to the boards.

- Darkkin, the Tedious

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forums.