1. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

ah ok my first hello went into the ether...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tessadragon, Dec 29, 2009.

hiya,
    this is my second attempt to say hello (for some second the home network isn't working through the wire but is through the wireless, albeit weakly.)

I write fantasy and sci-fi for children and teens. I don't get free time much for it as I'm doing an unenjoyable degree, cleaning my parents' house and work nights.

Tessadragon

2. RiftwarFan

RiftwarFan New Member

Well, interesting stuff you writing there. Did you publish some of your work?
    Either way, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Best regards, RiftwarFan

3. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

nah, haven't published it yet. i accidentally got my first publishing when i sent an admonishing letter to the writing magazine about a teen author's uninspiring advice, and my own list of points was long enough that they published it as a filler article.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Tessadragon, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Your first Hello was probably rended and swallowed by the Ether Bunny.

Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. RiftwarFan

RiftwarFan New Member

Oh, and do you write more Fantasy or SF, or is it equally represented?

Best regards, RiftwarFan

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Welcome. :) What is your unenjoyable degree in? Just curious.

7. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

Thanks for the warning Cogito...i won't be posting anything for a long time anyway so i'd be unlikely to post it up. Too many first drafts.
    RiftwarFan...mostly fantasy. Got currently betwen six and seven fantasy series and one sci-fi series in the works.

The degree is in holistic therapies but there's a lot of case studies, which is awful as people volunteer to be case studies because they see it as free massages (aromatherapy, reflexology, indian head massage), then balk at like the last treatment when they need to take the time to come in for a treatment, plus think they can get away with writing fake diary entries for the week long diary they need to carry out after each treatment (i.e. whether they slept well, were very hungry or not, etc). Then add in the crazy weather and the recession, and it makes case studies downright unpleasant.

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

welcome to the WF.

9. Joel

Joel New Member

What's your degree in, if I may ask?

10. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

The degree is in holistic therapies. (Aromatherapy, swedish body massage, Indian head massage and reflexology).

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds like a stimulating field of study.

12. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
    Writewizard

13. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

I don't think I've been here in a long time....

I was just googling writing forums because I felt like chatting to like-minded people, found this site and randomly checked the username I almost always use and it said it was in use...so here I am.
    I'm currently fighting back against writers block, I've got all the time in the world this week to write because I finally handed my notice in to the tyrants employing me who thought they were God's wives. But yes, joyfully unemployed.

Managed a whole 5 pages double spaced of writing yesterday, I just need to make sure I keep at it, to get that particular story finished. I look forward to chatting with you guys.

Tessadragon

14. Kash

Kash New Member

Hey Tessa,

I'm new to this forum. I'm at an earlier stage still where I need to constantly remind myself to get writing! :) Unemployed too, thanks to my wife! I wish you good luck and look forward to reading your stories.
    K.

15. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Welcome!