Newcomer's Game - The Orb of Pyritus

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Love to Write, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

"Dana... you said your world doesn't have many dragons, right?"

"Yes." She replied sadly. "The War between Mortals and Mages has either killed or scared them all off."

Drake gingerly stepped over a large rock. He'd never really been embarrassed before, but now he struggled to get his idea out. What if she didn't like it? "I-I um... if we get the orb... my world has been all but destroyed. If we do win our war, i know that we will all just die out. But I don't want that. I-if there were a way to defeat the Fell and then bring the dragons from my world to yours... do you think it could work?"

"I don't know." Dana said thoughtfully. "The wizards have a reputation of domesticating and enslaving any dragons they come across, forcing the mortals to destroy them. But if the Rebellion allied with them, then..." She smiled, "We might have a chance to end the war on our own world and save it before it's too late." She looked at Drake. "We should try. If we get the Orb, we might be able to save both our people's."

Drake nodded in agreement, then curled his muzzle in a draconic grin. "Just saying, if you think to compare us to animals, albeit unusual ones, then you are going to be surprised." he chuckled. Then picked up the pace.

"Let's get him!"

2. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

The traveling party ventured further down the path underneath the lake. Fish could be seen swimming above them through the plant life that seemed to exist solely on the sunlight and what minerals it could get from the water. Dana couldn't help but be in awe of the way Theta Prime had managed to manipulate the gravity in order to create such phenomena.

Her fingers reached up, just barely managing to touch the crisp cool water of the lake, sending ripples across it's surface. The fish suddenly scattered and movement in the water above them ceased. Dana held a fist, motioning for everyone to be still. She felt a shiver go down her spine as a dark shadow appeared in the water above them. From the shadow's center stretched out longer skinnier shadows.

"Everyone look up. I think we've got company." Dana said quietly. She reached for her daggers, and just as she had pulled them out of their sheaths a huge octopus tentacle snaked out of the lake and latched onto her arm, pulling her up into the lake. At the same time 5 other tentacles broke out of the lake, resisting the gravity that held the lake up and attempted to grab other members of the party as well.

3. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Schadenfreude looked up at the shadows as soon as Dana was snatched up, but he did so calmly. His calm demeanor in such alarming situations always scared anyone he worked with in the past. He would be rather unsurprised if the people he was with were shocked by it.

Only a second after he looked up, his right arm was grabbed by a tentacle much like the one that had grabbed Dana. He tugged vigorously to get his arm out of the tentacles grip. There was a time long ago that he had strength far greater than this...whatever it was that had his arm. He could once punch clear through a man's skull. It was depressing that his abilities had deteriorated so much. This only motivated him even more to acquire the orb.

"Let go you disgusting octopus! I have an orb to get to!" Schadenfreude yelled, angrily tugging his arm. Maybe he should have borrowed a weapon from someone before walking under this lake

4. Keitsumah

"Dana!" Drake roared and sprang up into the water before the tentacles could even drag him up forcefully. Fangs gleaming as he pulled back his muzzle into a fearsome snarl, the dragon sank his teeth into a thick, leathery tentacle and grabbed at Dana with his fore claws. He had to get her out of here.

Then he remembered the two missiles strapped to his sides. Letting out a jet of bubble from his nostrils, the Dracon jerked to one side and kicked at the left-hand missile with his hind-leg, hastily aiming to send it catapulting at the octopus.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Dras

Dras Active Member

Chi's claws were in her hands as soon as the first tentacle dragged the Dana lady away. With a swipe and a kick she had promptly sliced off part of the arm reaching for her and sent the severed piece into the water above her. Battle-lust now ran thick in her veins and caused her pupils to contract into cat-like slits, her tail to bristle, and her ears to lay flat against her head. A constant warning growl issued from her throat and she bounded around slicing at the arms of the strange creature.

Suddenly a drop of water fell on her and she froze for an instant.

"Raow! I hate this water!" In that instant a tentacle had wrapped around her ankle and yanked her feet out from under her. Hissing and spitting as she was being dragged away she bent almost double and sliced the arm away from her ankle. She fell to the ground, landing nimbly on her feet, and preceded to hack away at the rest of the arms.

6. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

Roland saw the tentacles whip out at the others, and he quickly attached his ENPA, feeling the narcotics surge through his body. Adrenaline flooded through his body, and he felt like the most powerful being on Earth. The tentacle wrapped around his chest, and lifted him into the air. Roland breathed through his ENPA, feeling the pure oxygen from his reactor flood through his body.

A fifth tentacle whipped out at him, water gleaming from it's spongy tentacles. Powerful yet flexible, it quickly wrapped around Roland's leg and lifted him off the ground. Roland felt his chest being crushed, and quickly grabbed the tentacle, and using a burst of chemical-induced strength, ripped it off him.

He sent energy into his beam laser, which was attached to the right side of his head. With a flick of his head, half of the tentacle was cut off, and landed, twitching and flopping, on the ground. Foolish water creature; Roland was no prey.

7. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Schadenfreude looked over at Roland and saw how he took care of the tentacle. He smirked at how the tentacle was now flopping around on the floor.

"Machine man! I am in need of assistance!" He called to Roland, hoping Roland would shoot the tentacle and set his arm free. He was mildly jealous of Roland, though reminded himself that Rolands combat abilities would not last very long.

8. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

"Machine man! I am in need of assistance!" Shouted Schadenfreude.

Machine man? Was that really how the others saw him? Roland set off on a sprint, then leaped in the air, and with quick accuracy, he used his beam laser to slice the tentacle so that the part holding the creature was now flopping on the ground.

"You're welcome." He said. He activated the reactor at his back, feeling it flood his veins with energy created from nuclear fusion.

9. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Everyone fought together, easily hacking through the stupid and yet large octopus which was attempting to simply get a meal large enough to satiate it's appetite. Drake shot out of the water with Dana in his claws. Were it not for his speed he would've never made it through the gravity holding the lake up. Dana coughed and heaved water from her lungs once she was on the ground.

"Thanks." She rasped. Looking up she watched as the Octopus, with half it's tentacles gone and it's body damaged by the missiles Drake had sent off, it decide the group wasn't worth the loss of more limbs, and floated away, leaving a cloud of dark ink in it's wake.

"Well I feel utterly useless." Dana mumbled getting to her feet. "Almost done in by a damn octopus. My men would be in hysterics right now if they had seen me." She looked across the lake bed they were walking on and noticed an old looking man holding a bright ball of light on the other side. He was hunched over and his legs were bent like he was perpetually squatting. His thin hair was matted and his clothes were on their last threads. And yet he looked so happy staring at the Orb in his hands. Dana could feel the energy of the Orb from here and instinctively took a step towards him. Every fiber in her being screamed to get the Orb.

Gree suddenly looked up, a shocked look on his face like he couldn't believe they'd defeated his octopus so quickly. He shrieked and raised the orb in the air above his head. A pulse of energy and light shielded him for a moment, then he was gone. For a moment Dana stood there, confused as to how he could just vanish. She was so distracted by the thought that she didn't notice the place around them getting darker. She felt a tug on her belt. The moth child, Gypsy, pointed up anxiously. "Oh crap!"

The pulse of energy had caused the gravity to shift and the lake was now falling, slowly but it hadn't been that high above them to begin with. "Move!" She exclaimed sprinting forward to the dry bank nearly 200 yards away

10. Dras

Dras Active Member

"Ack!" Chi noticed lake dropping and froze on the spot. I knew we could never trust water! Trrricky trrricky water!

Once she got over her initial shock the rest of the group was already far ahead of her.

"Hey! Don't forrrget Meeee!" she called out frantically. Sheathing her claws she bounded towards the others, using her strong legs to cover several strides at once. Slowly gaining ground, Chi chanced a glance behind her. The lake bottom was dropping but what was worse was the fact that the lower it got, whatever was holding it up weakened and water begun to separate from the main body.

"Grrr, why must it be water?" As the lake begun to drop like rain Chi picked up her pace.

11. Keitsumah

"No good!" Drake shouted, then scooped up Dana and slung her onto his back, taking off as fast as his legs could carry him. "We'll be crushed before we get there! If we swim with it, it won't damage us as much -the water will just pulls us around!" Then he looked back. "Hold your breath! i can swim just about as fast as i can fly." Spying Chi in trouble, he slowed down a bit and grabbed the feral with his forepaws. "I know you won't like this, but please don't claw me." he asked, then sprang upward and into the lake.

The silence was deafening. Spreading his wings wide, Drake pumped hard and was soon skimming under the water as fast as the others were running. Then he surged upward, aiming to hit the top of the lake and take flight before it struck the bottom.