Newcomer's Game: THE ORB OF PYRITUS

Discussion in 'Archive' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Riley grinned and waved. "Enjoy the show? Sorry if I sort of took things into my own hands; I get angry sometimes," he admitted as he advanced toward the man. Patting him on the back, he continued, "The name's Riley. You say you're called Drake? Nice to meet you. Now, where the hell are we? I remember walking through this insane-looking portal, and all of a sudden I'm fighting a dragon. Not the greatest welcoming committee, but at least we're alive, eh? I'd really like to figure out where it came from. One of the men mentioned that it arrived from the east, but those villagers acted like it wasn't exactly a common occurrence; I'm sure there's some sort of dark force behind it all. It usually seems to work out like that."

Chuckling, Riley retrieved and sheathed his sword. "My apologies," he added, "I've really been ranting, I suppose. Where are you from? How did you find yourself in this place?"

---

Magnafire shrugged, "I've see demons, half demons, crazy worshippers, and gods, but never that. Rage shifting into a maelstrom of power. I keep mine concealed here," he pointed to Blade Edge who he had sheathed, mainly to muffle the bombardment of its thoughts.

He stole my kill. Slay him! Kill him! Kill him now!

Magnafire punched the sheath dismissively and muttered, "Leave it." He looked back at Riley, "It is strange, I was in a desert, on a..." he trailed off "On a adventure. I'm a soldier, well was a soldier. Kind of exiled it's a long story. As for where we should go. I suggest east. Who knows there may be more Dragons we can kill. If you come across any Black Dragons try to kill it with some dignity. My...." he trailed off again, "again it is complicated."

Magnafire, wake up.

"Shut it, Blade Edge."

Magnafire looked back at the dragon. I thought Blade Edge needed a leash. This guy is not someone I'd be double crossing. Still if he goes like that when he's mad. watch my tongue. Magnafire approached the dragon and knelt in front of it and whispered, "Thele dena tu ska bu pessa." He stood up and faced Riley, "My knowledge of the language of my ancestors is a little weak but that roughly translates as 'Creature of the skies be at peace in heart and soul' we follow dragons, and in turn we fight side by side. Not all dragons mind. Just some."

2. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Leila Scarlet

"Thief, Thief!" A bald man in an apron yelled, gasping for air as he jogged after a young girl.

'Tis my favorite word. Leila grinned. Each time she heard it she knew she would live another day. She continued to pump her legs, roughly shoving people out of the way as she went through the streets. One woman flew into a bread cart, another in a bucket of steamed fat. Leila laughed hysterically at the scene, causing many other shoppers to join the chase. She rounded a corner and under a mud archway. Took another turn and flipped over a wooden cart full of pomegranates, letting them roll and land in the dust. Not much farther now. Leila looked down at her bulging bag, quite pleased with herself. She wouldn't have to go out again for days, and it would give her plenty of time to plot out her next expedition.

Though, the chase was not yet over and more yelling told her that they were still at her heels. Leila took a quick peek behind her shoulder expecting to see her pursuers angry stares. But, instead they had wide eyes and faces paler than the white sands of the East. The most surprising of all was that they were still. My many thanks to you! Leila wanted to shout. She could already taste the rich morsels melting in her mouth.

She gave one last triumphant smirk at the people, but her vision blurred turning them into a mass of strange colors. Her eyes went dim. Leila rubbed them, slightly confused, her eyes weren't usually sensitive. All her life she had lived on her home desert planet, and not once had her eyes burned like this. She slowed to a walk, but stumbled feeling a soft sensation under her feet. With another rub, her vision cleared, and she looked around her.

Green had swallowed up the dirt, dust, and sand dunes. Thick vines were hanging from high up trees. "Great Sandingers..." Leila said under her breath, taking in the bright color she had never seen. How did she get here? Leila instinctively opened her bag, feeling for her solar energy gun. She better not take any chances. She continued walking through the dense jungle, and despite her confusion, was amazed at the vast amount of foliage. Would any of it be good to eat? Leila suddenly tensed up, peeking through the vines. There in the distance was a girl, sitting on the ground, her legs pulled up close to her chest. She wondered what the girl was doing. Had she fallen asleep?

Leila's curiosity got the better of her, as she quietly walked closer to where the girl was, watching for any sudden movements. This will be fun... Leila chuckled. Still hidden by the thick vines and tree leaves she yelled, "Tell me what you're doing on my land, or I'll shoot!"

3. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

While soaring through the air at tremendous speed, Faramar bursted with adrenaline. His mind was empty of all thought, his only objective to save his people. The roar he had heard had faded by now, but that didn't slow him down the least bit.
    And suddenly, another noise echoed through the air. Only this time, more articulate, more sentient, almost as if the sound itself was alive.

He looked at what seemed like the origin of such vivid sound, however, he didn't have much time to assess what he was looking at. It seemed like a mass of pure energy that was headed directly his way. Instinctively, he tried to dive to avoid whatever that was, but it was to no avail. The... thing stroke him directly in his right upper arm and suddenly, everythign went black.

Faramar could not see, hear, or smell anything. He could only feel millions of tiny needles puncturing his body. His very mind was completely disorganized and he could't even think. Another kind of pain added to the puncturing needles. This one much more intense and crushing. And this pain went on for indefinite time, but it slowly faded away. The peace keeper lay there, unable to move until the pain was reduced to a mere buzz.
    When he finally regained his vision, he looked at the source of the strange tingling. There was a pink scar, in a rounded shape where before there was only skin.

Faramar looked around. His memory was still hazy but he did not remember any trees around that strange land. Around him, however, was a dense, thick forest. His sword lay not five meters away from him. He tried to stand, but his legs were still weak, so he crawled to his sword, his wings and tail dragging on the ground. He leaned against a tree and stood again.

«I am not in the same place anymore. That is for sure».

4. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Igor

The beast had dropped.

Igor was sitting on the wooden bench once again, with his hands inside his pants' pockets. With his eyes closed he had disjointed his mind from his body once again, and he was now observing the newcomer. Should I attack him?

Don't do it, he helped you, and he might do it once again. Like these farmers you killed used to say: Milk this cow for all it's got. replied the voice in his head.

He knew the arriver had seen him so Igor decided to wait for him to come. While waiting his eyes opened and he started looking at the sky. Night was falling and Igor needed a place to stay. After dealing with the stranger he'd get surely go inside the former village leader's house once again and rest.

Already lost in his thoughts Igor was interrupted by an uncommon yet assertive voice.

"Koh?"

"Megronoti?"

"Tompey?"

"Hello?"

He didn't feel like speaking, but still decided to turn his head to the side and nod in order to show the newcomer that he had acknowledge him and that he could understand what he spoke.

Scan him. advised the annoying voice.

As Igor was about to expand his mind and follow the voice's advice, he stopped suddenly. I've been doing what you tell me way too much lately. Stop nagging me, I can take care of myself. he replied.

Ahhh, you finally decided to speak! Congrat- Igor suppressed the voice.

Standing up, Igor opened his eyes and gazed at the stranger. He looked similar to a man but he had some reptilian features such as his prolonged jaws. Looking into his eyes he saw someone fierce and ruthless. I could manipulate him into helping me find the orb. And if I'm to travel with someone this seems like the least disgusting option.

Igor penetrated his mind just enough to transmit a sentence: Feel free to join me.

5. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

Pyree had long since calmed herself. Her ship rations helped greatly, reminding her that her food and her world still existed. Her situation was no better, but a fresh mind was crucial to her survival.

The portals she knew were the greatest irrationality. If gravitons from her world could also travel through them, then without the original matter to bind those gravitons, they would be dispersed into a wave like pattern. This would cause ripples altering the shape of space. While they would be very minute, and if there were a whole bunch of these ripples overlapping and crisscrossing, any travel over a great distance would be out of her control. This rationalization gave her new hope. Her and Atlas' portals were closed almost immediately, but if she could find another one, and measure the initial influx, maybe she could adjust for the disturbance.

She curled back up against the tree. There was still too much for her to think on. This forest for one was obviously dangerous, and her most important resource, space-time threads, were extremely limited.

Then she felt it. A wave of gravity, and it was crystal clear. That must be another portal opening up.

Pyree resisted the urge to jump up and run straight towards it. The last time she found a portal, there was a monster snake as well. With so many impossible things happening she couldn't gauge the appropriate action. Space travel was so much simpler for her.

The voice of a woman cut the jungle's silence, "Tell me what you're doing on my land, or I'll shoot!"

Pyree turned her head to the dense tangle where the voice originated from. This was getting ridiculous, she thought, what world was this where everyone wanted to shoot each other?

Pyree closed her eyes and teleported directly behind the hostile stranger. Brown hair, with dusty looking clothes, the girl was able to get so close to her without even making a sound, just like Atlas could. And, just like Atlas, she had approached with a gun drawn.

Raising her own gun left to her by the corporal, Pyree whispered, “So this is your land? Then maybe you can tell me what kind of sick trick you are playing on me with these portals.”

6. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Riley Burstion

"My knowledge of the language of my ancestors is a little weak, but that roughly translates as 'Creature of the skies, be at peace in heart and soul.' We follow dragons, and in turn we fight side by side. Not all dragons, mind. Just some."

"Oh, shit," Riley muttered, at once realizing the weight of what had just happened. He glanced at the burnt corpse of the dragon, and then back at Drake. "So, what I just did," he continued, his usual grin replaced by a somber expression, "was a big no-no? Please forgive me, friend. If I had known, we could've found a way around it. I had no idea that you were a friend to dragonkind."

The man said nothing in return, but simply nodded; this Riley took as a sign that the conversation was over, and to drop it. Still feeling somewhat guilty at this newfound information, Riley absentmindedly kicked at a burnt patch of grass, at a loss for words.

"Well, what's done is done, I suppose," Riley continued, trying to shake off the awkwardness of the revelation. "You're right, we should continue east. To be honest, I have no idea where we are, and I'd like to find some sort of civilization that isn't being mauled by a monster. If you're ready to go, we can head out immediately."

7. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

"Oh, shit," Riley muttered, at once realizing the weight of what had just happened. He glanced at the burnt corpse of the dragon, and then back at Drake. "So, what I just did," he continued, his usual grin replaced by a somber expression, "was a big no-no? Please forgive me, friend. If I had known, we could've found a way around it. I had no idea that you were a friend to dragonkind."

---

Magnafire looked back at Riley, and said, “You did what you did out of defense. It’s difficult to reason with dragons. This one wasn’t from my world. It saw me as a threat. And I helped you take it down by taking its wings.”
    He stood and stared in the direction east, “It could be a long walk, are you up to it? We may need supplies. The village may be able to give us something to last maybe two weeks. I’ve experienced what it is like to go starving and it’s not pleasant.” The Trial of Intent, travelling across a desert, with heat and hunger draining my reserve, the first time I’ve been so close to death I could taste its bitterness. The second was a knife wound that nearly exhausted my power.

The Magnan approached Riley, and noticed somber expression; he considered shaking the man out of his senses but then decided that wouldn’t be advised. “Things aside Riley, a storm is brewing, and where going into its maelstrom. So lighten up. I could do with some one like you in the Burnt Legion, you can consider yourself a Captain if you like and if you survive the Silduinor, Darnmar and the White Tallon then you may reach General in no time at all,” he said with a half-grin. I’m not kidding; I wouldn’t need an army if I had you fighting at my side.

“What about me?” Blade Edge asked.

What about you, oh I’ll still need you.

“Good!” it exclaimed in his head.

Magnafire held out a hand, he hoped Riley knew that it meant a sign of trust. “Then let us, go to war friend.”

8. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

Eslana managed to reach the area where the thing had fallen, and saw it crawling on the ground. Perhaps she hadn't used enough power, seeing as it had already regained consciousness and was crawling towards a sword on the ground.

As she got closer, she notice more about the strange harpy-beast. It had a tail, which made it look like a flying monkey with gills. Yes, the creature had gills. What sort of strange twisted monster is this, she thought. Putting the thought to the back of her mind, she drew her sword and pointed it at the thing.

"Unless you want a second round of that, I wouldn't do anything stupid. Who are you, and where are the rest of the harpies? I slayed every one of them myself, so I demand to know where your nest is. For that information, I won't kill you... yet."

Eslana smiled as the thing stood up near a tree. It was still too weak to hurt her. Harpies were smart, but they didn't have any magical powers. So, she was perfectly safe. This harpy would probably try to attack her, but she'd hit it again with lightning if she needed to. Just enough to knock it unconscious again, and continue to torture it that way until it gave up the information.

"Tell me where the nest is," she reiterated.

9. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

"Tell me where the nest is"

Faramar's ears were still not in perfect conditions, but he had heard it. He looked up, still gasping for air as he leaned against the tree for balance.
    In front of him was a tall creature. These ones, he had seen before. Infact, he had battled them time and again for the dominance of Gharr'tash. They looked a little like his race, the Trael, only they had no wings, tail or guills. Inferior beings, were it not for their advanced technology and ability to use what they called "magic". This one had long hair, colored like the skies of his planet on a day of storm. Her outfit too was the color of a regular day in Gharr'tash. She also carried a sword, black like the oceans he knew. She was looking at him, a determined look in her eyes. He tried to reach for his sword on the ground, but the female immediately grabbed the hilt of her sword.
    Between gasps, he was able to say:

"I am neither friend nor foe to you, creature. But strike again and I shall smite you with all the power and might of Jor'Reda."

She looked surprised, even taken aback a little. Were he in better control of himself, Faramar would have taken this chance and ended it right there.
    It was not the energy mass that had caused more damage he realised. It was probably the crash landing straight into the ground.
    In his current state, he thought that maybe he could get some answers. She seemed to have understood the dialect he spoke in, she had spoken it herself earlier. So he tried again.

"Where am I?"

10. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

"Where am I?

The words struck Eslana with a blow that she'd never experienced in physical battle. No, she'd fought enemies ten times her size, five times her power, and been outnumbered 500 to 1. But never in those battles had she felt something like this, like the feeling she got when she'd heard those words.

He doesn't know...

"I... I don't know," Eslana said, admitting her own weakness. She lowered her sword, but stayed at the ready just in case this was a trick. But in her mind, she knew it wasn't so. The creature, man, whatever it was, he had spoken out of confusion, out of fear, out of.... sadness. He, if it was a he, was in the same position as Eslana. Neither of them knew where they were.

"I had hoped you were from this world, but I see the error of my ways. I am terribly sorry I injured you. I hope it wasn't too bad..." She'd used enough power to stun him, but hadn't taken into account the crash landing he'd done.

"Here, perhaps this will help." She put her sword up, turning it so the swirling black and white stone was facing this man-bird thing she had come across. "Helial."

The stone glowed bright white, all of the black disappearing in a few moments. The white glow bathed the creature, covering it completely. She had used the healing magic many times on herself, and on others. If neither of them were from this world, though, she wasn't sure if it would work. The lightning had, so she hoped the healing would as well.

11. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

As the sword's gem turned momentarily white, a very bright light shone from it. It was warm and comfortable, embracing Faramar and traversing the whole of his body. Little by little, his aches started subsiding and he reacquired full control of his limbs. He glanced at where the energy mass had struck him. The scar was still there, but it was fainter.
    This female... she was apparently in the same situation as he was. She claimed to know nothing of the place and she seemed honest about it too.
    Normally, he would treat this creature with hostility and coldness, but she seemed to have no intention to harm him. She had even apologised!
    A hint of a grin showed on Faramar's face.

"It was you then? Your sword packs quite a punch! What's your name? How did you get here?"

With his tail, Faramar reached for Jor'Reda. He passed it from his tail to his hand, keeping it lowered at all times and folded his wings behind him. She didn't seem to feel menaced by him anymore, so he went a little closer to the creature, to better analyze his strange agressor. He noticed she tensed up a little, but made an effort to remain calm.

"I am Faramar, the Jor'tash of my planet, or the "peace keeper", as you would call it."

12. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Relagator Thum

The figure turned as he approached but didn't speak.

Feel free to join me Something spoke into his head, the voice was using a human dialect. Thum froze, so he was a psychic. He pulled up his hood lowering the hammer slightly and smiling.

"You're going to have to speak human." He said tapping the hood. "Your tricks won't work with this on."

Thum wondered if he could use the human. A psychic could be useful for getting the orb and getting any other lesser creatures he found to assist him. He pressed his hand to his coms unit. If he radioed the supremes he could get them to send back up and weapons.

"Supremes, I'm on a gra-ZZZZ" His hand leapt as te coms unit sparked fizzling out of life. He cursed throwing it to the ground, the psychic would definately be of use now.

"So human, what can I offer you in exchange for your cooperation?"

13. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Leila Scarlet

“So this is your land? Then maybe you can tell me what kind of sick trick you are playing on me with these portals.”

Leila turned around to stare at the owner of the soft voice, trying to wipe the look of surprise off her face, as well as ignore the fact that she had jumped nearly a foot in the air. It was the same girl she had seen just moments before sitting on the ground. Leila had barely blinked, but the girl had somehow crept up behind her, even better than she herself had done.

Although, she now realized this was no girl, but a woman years older than her. The woman wore an odd skin-tight suit with protective padding, and her hair was cut short like a boy’s. A determined scowl was on her face, as she pointed her handgun at Leila. Leila gripped her energy gun tighter. She was not often challenged in this way, and couldn't recall the last time she had been cornered. Lately, the only contact she made with people was strictly a business relationship. Being a wanted girl in almost every province forced her to make these sacrifices.

A sly smile crept over her face, as Leila looked intently at the gun the woman held. It was a nice looking weapon, black and sleek enough to fit in the palm of a hand. Much different than anything she had seen, even compared to the guns the soldiers in her land bared. She wondered how it worked, since it seemed to have no energy source.

Without taking her eyes off the woman, Leila lowered her own gun slightly. Her forefinger brushed lightly against the trigger, and without a second thought, she pulled it.

Leila had to keep from laughing when the woman fell backward in surprise; dodging the fiery bullet she aimed at her feet. With her free hand she bent to pick up the gun that had tumbled to the ground. Leila went to stand over the woman, twirling her new gun a few times.

"Now tell me, what are these portals you speak of?"

14. Exclusive

Exclusive Member

Thatratar, Sword of Kingdoms (feat. Corporal James Farmer)

It spoke. There was stillness in the air and it seemed, if only for a moment, that anticipation itself was taken aback.

"BEHOLD THE GLORY AND EXCELLENCE! I am that which is Protector of the First Garden, Fifth Weapon of Esriel the Seraphim, Three-Hundred Hundredth of the Fallen, Grand Architect of the Fifty-Seven Halls of the Celestial Gate, Architect of Mount Orion of the Infernal Valley of the Fire, Breaker of the Two Hundred and Seventh Seal of the Final Judgment, Seventy-Fifth Judge of All, Seer of Three Billion Billion Worlds, Erector of the Cathedrals of Atlantis, Orator to the Seraphim to the Archangel to the Cherubim to The One Whom Speaks on Behalf of The One...!"

As soon as the first words were spoken, the Corporal snapped his weapon forwards and quickly spun around. "Who's there? Who are you? Show yourself!" he shouted, after Thatratar had spoken.

He frantically probed his surroundings, searching for the source of the voice.

"Imperially, I grace your presence! James Farmer, bow your head! Transfix your eyes! I AM THE SWORD OF KINGDOMS! I AM THATRATAR! You have been chosen..." said the sword. “--Search child! Search for me, your destiny!”

The Corporal continued to wave his weapon blindly.

"I swear I'll goddamn shoot if you don't show yourself! Come out where I can see you, and keep your hands behind your head!"
    "The SWORD, CHILD! I am Thatratar, Sword of Kingdoms!" instructed Thatratar, shimmering in teal radiance. "This SWORD that impales the ground before you! Explore me! Grab me! Feel the power that was THREE HUNDRED HUNDRED years in the making!"

The man hesitated, and then slowly turned back to face it. His weapon was still raised, but his eyes were narrowed on Thatratar.

"You're kidding me," said the corporal, under his breath. "There's no way in hell..."

He approached Thatratar cautiously.

"What in the fucking hell are you?" asked Farmer.
    “I am that which is Protector of the First Garden, Fifth Weapon of Esriel the Seraphim, Three-Hundred Hundredth of the…”
    "--A goddamn talking sword! I swear I've gone nuts..."

The Corporal lowered his weapon, cautiously and unassumingly.

"--And you want me to what? Grab you?" he shook his head, "You're as goddamn tall as I am. How the hell do you expect me to drag you around?"
    "Understand this, child," explained Thatratar. "One does not drag the most powerful sword in the universe! Should you choose to ally yourself with me, I shall provide you with the strength necessary to hold me ...as well as the strength to do other, splendid things."

The soldier looked at Thatratar suspiciously.

"Splendid things? Look, whatever you are, I don't even know what the hell is going on. I don't even know if I'm sane right now! Why should I trust some voice in my head?"
    “You ask for incentive? I see the universe and beyond in its entirety, at ALL TIMES! As I speak, a behemoth slithers toward our direction …a creature that you’ve seen before,” insists Thatratar. “Alone, you are afraid. Together, you will be a stranger to fear, as I am. Your choice at this very moment will be the most important one of your entire life. If you don’t wield me, another will and you WILL regret it.”
    "A creature that I've... shit," said the Corporal.

Instead of heeding Thatratar's words, however, Farmer lifted his flimsy weapon, and turned to face the cornfield. Alone, he would decide to face this impending "behemoth".

15. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

“Back for more, you slimy bastard?” muttered Atlas, as he waited for the snake. The sword wasn’t lying; he could hear something shifting through the cornfield. Something very large.

Then he saw it. It slithered in and out of the field, its black body weaving through the swaying stalks. Atlas lifted his M-4, and looked down the sights. The snake was moving too much for him to get an accurate shot off, but it was big, and the chances of hitting it were in his favour.

With a quick flick of his finger, Atlas switched his rifle setting from burst to automatic. If the snake still had any senses, it would run as it did before. Getting into a crouched position, Atlas pulled the trigger, laying down a base of fire in the snake’s general direction. He watched with satisfaction as a few bullets met their mark. The snake let out a hiss of pain, and recoiled back into the cornfields.

“Stupid damn snake. I should’ve killed it last time.”

Convinced that it had run away, he turned back to face the sword. But the moment he did, a row of cornstalks collapsed, and the snake came charging back out.

“Shit!”

Atlas spun back around to see that the snake was closing in on him fast. It was moving in a sharp zigzag pattern, making it hard for him to aim. It had learned. On top of that, Atlas realised with horror that the thing was almost twice the size it was last time. How could it have grown so quickly?

Gritting his teeth, Atlas opened fire, spraying bullets into the beast’s face. Unlike last time, the snake didn’t get knocked back. The bullets struck what looked like a layer of bone plating, covering the snake’s head.

“That wasn’t goddamn there before!” Atlas grunted in frustration.

The snake closed in on him quickly, and he had to roll out of the way to avoid getting trampled by it. He managed to shoot the rest of his clip into the snake’s side as it passed him. The bullets drew blood, but the creature didn’t stop. Instead, it coiled around, and encircled Atlas’ position, trapping him in a small circle with the sword. Then it reared up to strike, with its tongue flicking.

Atlas pulled his gun up to meet with the opened jaws of the snake. He pulled the trigger – and nothing happened. The snake shot forwards, missing Atlas by mere inches. He stumbled to the side, and his gun clattered to the ground, useless. He reached reflexively for his pistol, and then swore when he remembered he had given it to Lasstor.

The snake curled up even farther, leaving Atlas only a couple of feet of space to work with. Its head towered above him, ready for another strike. Without thinking, Atlas reached out and grabbed the large teal sword next to him.

“Yes! Feel the might of the Sword of Kingdoms!” bellowed the voice of the sword.

The effects were immediate. A sense of great empowerment soared through him, and he felt an outlandish strength fill his arms.

Without another moment’s loss, Atlas pulled the sword out of the ground. The earth around him trembled and shone with an intense teal-blue radiance. Staggered by the brilliance, the snake hesitated, and Atlas swung Thatratar at its body with as much strength as he could muster.

There was next to no resistance, and the snake collapsed into two clean halves. The side with the head of the beast swiftly slid back into the cornfield before he could finish it off, leaving a trail of sickly dark blood as it fled.

The ground dimmed down to normal around him, and despite himself, Atlas couldn’t help but grin.

“And that was but a taste,” Thatratar hissed.
    As its voice faded out, a teal afterglow coated the long body of the sword. When it finally dissipated, the sword was covered in a stunning golden-teal sheath.

Atlas shrugged. “I guess… we could be friends."

16. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

"I am Faramar, the Jor'tash of my planet, or the "peace keeper", as you would call it."

"Peace keeper? You and I aren't so different then. I'm Eslana Forcanus, a hero on my planet. I've defeated just about every selfish tyrant, each rampaging monster, and am known around the world, at least on my planet." She bowed, letting her guard down, but she trusted this Faramar.

"I suppose you came through one of those portal things to get here? I didn't have much choice myself. Your entrance to this world must have at least been a grand one. I was just going to the washroom." She turned red. "Which, I still haven't done. You didn't see a town nearby, did you?"

Eslana felt relaxed now, calm near Faramar. She could trust him, she was sure of that. They might make a great team, though she'd never worked with anyone before. Sure, she'd commanded armies and fought alongside soldiers, but she'd never had an ally that she'd worked hand in hand with. It would be different for her, but clearly this planet was different than her own. An ally might come in handy.

17. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

"So human, what can I offer you in exchange for your cooperation?" asked the alien.

Igor tried to communicate with him mentally, but as the lizard-man had said, his hood kept out psychic waves. This fact ticked off Igor, since he would now be forced to speak if he wanted to communicate.

He seems to believe he's in control - that's fine with me, if that's how he needs to feel in order to help me steal the orb... I'll play the role of thankful, innocent and friendly companion.

Looking at the reptilian once again, Igor adopted a friendly expression.

"You killed the behemoth who was about to eat me alive, and that is enough. I'm much obliged, and for that, I owe you my cooperation. I would just like to ask one small favor of you, which is to take the hood off. I detest speaking like this. If you allow me to talk to you mentally I can not only exchange words much easier but I can also exchange images, sounds, sensations. The mental link created between us, if you let me, will turn us into an unstoppable duo!"

The creature seemed to be weighing its options.

"You can decide in the morning. I'm heading into that big house over there - Igor pointed with his thumb at a house behind his back - to rest for the night. Tomorrow we will travel towards our destination."

Igor turned his back to the newcomer and he started walking slowly towards the house. As he lay in the bed he rememberd the pile of corpses in the middle of the village. He'll probably think it was the behemoth. Igor fell asleep with a twisted grin on his face.

18. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Riley Burstion (Feat. Magnafire)

Magnafire held out a hand, he hoped Riley knew that it meant a sign of trust. “Then, let us go to war, friend.”

By the time the duo had searched the village for supplies, the sun had already begun to creep up over the horizon. The events of the previous night were still fresh in Riley’s mind, and he still felt slightly uneasy. He didn’t know much about this newfound ally, but he had a gut feeling that his intentions were indeed pure.

After gathering all necessary materials, Riley and Drake set out eastward toward the rising sun. And, as they walked, they talked.

“I come from the kingdom of Driath,” Riley explained as he trudged up the grassy hill, “I travel as an explorer throughout the world in which it exists, seeking thrills and new discoveries. I have seen the massive expanse of the Al-Musar desert to the east, and the strange traditions of the elves in the mystifying forest to the west. It is through my travels that I was led here, actually.”

Riley absentmindedly snapped his fingers and a small blue ball of flame materialized in the palm of his hand. It flickered steadily, dimmed slightly by the light of the morning sun, as he continued. “I was exploring a small island off the coast of Driath when I stumbled upon the portal,” Riley explained, “In all my travels, I had never seen anything like it. Dark, abysmal, chaotic. The vortex intrigued me; I’ve always had a bit of a curious mind. And so, not being one to back down from an adventure, I came through it, and found myself right near that village.”

Drake had remained silent throughout Riley’s story, but now spoke. “I too have encounter a portal such as this, friend. I suppose that I could be considered a traveler as well, though my journey seemed to have a bit more purpose. Finding myself in the ancient ruins of Drax, I set about searching for answers; something, anything to save me from my destiny.”

Here Drake broke off and muttered something incoherent. Slightly irritated and angry, he seemed to be speaking to his sword.

Confused, Riley questioned, “Did you just…speak to your blade?”

With a slight smile Drake replied, “Ah, yes. I forgot that you haven't been formally introduced. This is Blade Edge. My sword, bound to me in soul. He is a sentient being, speaking to me in my mind through our spiritual bondage. It is a long story, and one for another time. Let us get back to the one at hand.”

“Right, right,” Riley muttered, still confused about how a sword could speak at all. It seemed demonic, unnatural. Then again, he was no one to talk. Beckoning for his companion to go on, he said, “Continue, Drake.”

He nodded and spoke once more, “During my searching in Drax, I stumbled upon a door deep within the structure. Behind it materialized a portal, much like the one you described. Hoping to find answers, Blade Edge and I entered the vortex and arrived here.”

Riley stopped walking and interrupted, “Wait. There are more portals?” The flame in his palm flared up as the realization hit him. “Do you understand the implications of this? If there is more than one portal, it is entirely possible that we are not alone! There could be other dimensional travelers!” The warrior began pacing on the spot, exhilarated at his newfound discovery.

Drake nodded, agreeing with Riley’s theory. “Blade Edge and I have actually considered that possibility and believe that it is indeed likely. However, even if they do exist, what are the chances of us encountering anyone not already native to this world? The portals themselves may be cleverly hidden or widespread; it could take days of traveling to come across even one.”

By this point, Riley was not listening. He had stopped dead still, staring eastward into the distance. Gradually, he raised his arm and pointed. “What,” he murmured in measured, even tones, “is that?”

Suddenly a blue radiance filled the air and a small tremor shook the earth. Caught off guard by this strange occurrence, it took Riley a moment to realize what was going on. When he did, he shouted, “Drake! I have a bad feeling about this. Hurry; I sense conflict!”

Without hesitation the pair dashed forward, quickly closing in on the source of the disturbance. Upon arrival, Riley, awestruck, whispered, “Damn.”

19. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Magnafire Drake

Suddenly a blue radiance filled the air and a small tremor shook the earth. Caught off guard by this strange occurrence, it took Riley a moment to realize what was going on. When he did, he shouted, “Drake! I have a bad feeling about this. Hurry; I sense conflict!”
    Without hesitation the pair dashed forward, quickly closing in on the source of the disturbance. Upon arrival, Riley, awestruck, whispered, “Damn.”

----

Magnafire Drake listened to Riley’s story in silence, and found himself admiring the man for his dedication to exploring, uncovering mysteries and witnessing all manner of things. The only difference between them was that Magnafire had served most of his life as a soldier; from seventeen when he was inducted till now, leading a broken army, against impossible odds. Yet success always followed along with luck’s driving hand. Drake responded to Riley, in pleasant manner, comparing the fact that he had stumbled upon a similar portal. He even told him that he was in Drax to find away to save himself from destiny and that he possessed a bound sentient sword. From Riley’s face he saw mixed feelings, confusion and suspicion, which Drake understood, not many races had such a power. His thoughts wandered to his destiny.

I am not what everyone expects of me. I am flesh and blood, nothing more.

Oh but you are Magnan. I see into your soul, a burning energy to redeem yourself. In your efforts to avoid destiny, you are sweeping inexorably closer to it. You can’t stop fate.

Drake growled, “I can run from it.”

And what then, once you reach the edge of everything you believe? What then Magnafire!

“Then you will be my comfort, my sanities edge. I will fight for my will. This destiny speaks only of my death. We flesh beings hold onto life, and its value. We wish only to live,” muttered Drake.

Death is inevitable.

Death is a misunderstood thing, and you wouldn’t know’, answered Drake in his thoughts.

Blade Edge didn’t get a chance to respond as Riley drew his attention to something in the distance. They quickly approached, Riley looked awe struck. Drake looked at the large sword, the man wielding it and simply muttered, “Provenance Edge is so similar yet so different. It is not of my culture but its sentience is unleashed.”

I know that feeling.

Drake ignored his sword, and awaited the man wielding the large sword’s response. If anything he looked as shocked as they did. Then Magnafire Drake saw the large snake, and Blade Edge’s laugh filled his head.

20. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

"You didn't see a town nearby, did you?"

"Before you hit me, I was headed towards a place where I heard a roar. You must have heard it too." Faramar said. "Wait here"

The peace keeper unfolded his wings and jumped up in the air. He flew above the treetops of that peculiar place and noticed that the sun was already rising on the horizon. He scanned the ground around him and found what seemed to be a village. Furthermore, there was a big... thing lying on the ground near it. «That must be the creature that let out that ungodly shout» Faramar thought. Upon closer inspection, he was able to make out what seemed to be a pile in the middle of the village. But a pile of what?
    Irregardless, he went back down to where Eslana awaited.

"I found it, but first we need to get out of this place. I'll guide you from above, if you think you can handle your own down here." the peace keeper said in a mocking tone.

Eslana smiled

"Please, don't make me regret healing you."

And thus, Faramar went back up, but this time, he flew only barely over the treetops, only going higher from time to time to check if they were going the right way. he would not make the same mistake twice.
    The sun was nearing its highest point when they finally got out of that miscellany of trees and vines and the peace keeper came down to rest his wings for a while. Eslana did not seem tired at all, which Faramar admired about her. The jungle was already far off in the distance when the ground beneath them started to shake.

Faramar and Eslana looked at each other, confusion on their faces. Then, a shout came from behind them and they rapidly turned to see where it came from. In front of them was a human-like creature, almost twice as high as Faramar's sword with eyes as dark as the void he had come from, wielding a massive club with metal spikes protruding from it.

21. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

The sword didn’t respond. Whatever voice he had spoken with before was completely absent. Atlas shook the sword in front of him, as if it would do something.
    “Maybe I have gone insane,” he muttered to himself.

Speech or not, he could still feel the power of the blade course through him. It seemed to make him much stronger, giving him the ability to swing the blade around with ease. He pulled the sword partway out of its sheath and admired its glow.

The snake had gotten away. At least half of it had. The other half remained dead on the ground. Atlas stopped staring at the sword for a moment, and picked up his rifle, which was partly lodged under the snake’s body.
    Then he looked back at the sword – Thatratar, and contemplated his next actions. He sure as hell wasn’t just going to leave something like this lying around. It was a powerful sword, and it would be a waste to ditch it. He tried to wedge the sword onto his waist, but realised it was too long for that. Instead, he holstered the sword on his back, in the holder meant for a sniper-rifle. It fit well enough.

Atlas quickly did an equipment check, and reloaded his M-4.
    When he finally turned to face the smoking village, he nearly jumped out of his skin. Two men had materialized, and were blocking the path towards the village. These men were not civilian. They both wielded deadly looking blades, and the one to the right was covered in an intricate suit of plate armour.

Atlas took a step back and trained his gun on the men in front of him.
    “I suggest you back away, nice and slow,” he warned in a low voice.

"Great, a trigger-happy soldier," muttered the man in the plate armour. His eyes drifted from Atlas’s sword, to his gun, "Wait. Your uniform... where do you come from?"

Atlas kept his rifle forwards. Were these men from the village? Perhaps they were natives.
    “Drop your damn weapons,” he said, “Or at least put ‘em away.”
    If they were natives, he didn’t want to get into a fight with them. He had to figure out what kind of hole he was stuck in.

To his relief, both of the men in front of him sheathed their blades. “I suggest you remove your… weapon… as well,” said the man on the left.

Atlas assumed a less aggressive stance, but kept his weapon up.

"Look, man," said the one in armour, "I don't want to fight you. Just answer the question. Where do you come from? Your uniform... I recognize it. It seems familiar."

Atlas narrowed his eyes on him. Would it be safe to tell these men that he was from some other world? They looked almost medieval. Would they accuse him of heresy, and attack him?

The man in armour continued, "Are you from... Earth?"
    Atlas’ eyes widened. It was as if someone had splashed him with cold water, and brought him back to his senses. He lowered his gun.
    “You know Earth? I mean, yes! That’s the goddamn planet I’m from,” said Atlas, nodding his head, “What the hell is this place? How do I get back?”

The warrior replied, "I was born on Earth, though I haven't been there for years now. I live in a kingdom called Driath. It exists in a world parallel to Earth. I don't know where we are, or how to get back. My companion and I are traveling to discover just that." The man paused, looking Atlas up and down. "What I wouldn't give to be able to visit Earth one more time."

So they were like him then. They were from entirely different worlds, and managed to get transported here somehow. Probably through portals, like Lasstor had once said.

“Shit. It looks like we’re all in the same bucket.” Atlas lowered his arms and shook his head.
    “Corporal James Farmer, alias Atlas one-four, United States army,” he said, holding out his free hand.

The man to the left looked at the out stretched hand, and accepted the shake “So it seems,” he said. "General Drake, of the Burnt Legion."

General? Burnt Legion?

"Ah, a military man," the armoured warrior remarked. He enthusiastically shook Atlas's hand. "The name's Riley Burstion, my friend. Born and raised in Seattle, but sent to the world of Driath a few years back. Been living there ever since." Burstion chuckled. "Strange that we'd all end up here. You didn't happen to arrive here by portal, did you?

Atlas shrugged, “Hell if I know. I just went through a door, and ended up here. Where are you two headed?”

"Funny thing that. Happened to me too," answered the General. "As for where we are going, Corporal, east. Something… urges me there.”
    Atlas glanced towards the east. It was opposite the village, but these two looked like they knew what they were doing.

At least, more than he did anyways.

22. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree picked herself up from the soft jungle floor, thankful that her suit prevented any tedious injuries like a bruise or scratch. She was upset at herself for being surprised so easily. Despite her ambush, she had lost the upper hand. This girl was formidable, it showed in her eyes and her movements. Next time, Pyree would remember that just because a gun wasn't pointed at her didn't mean its owner was friendly. Maybe a bluff would help her reassert herself, if she was lucky.

Setting herself in a casual stance Pyree waved dismissively, “That toy, you can keep it if you like, but it was a gift from a friend. I'd rather hang on to it. That is, if these gloves weren't so bulky I wouldn't have dropped it in the first place.”

The girl kept spinning the gun casually, regarding the statement like an offer to barter. Pyree instantly recognized her error, those sharp eyes were not just skilled in battle but adept with trading and leverage. She didn't have much time for games. She could still feel the gravity waves not far off. If she could get there before it disappeared... If this girl didn't know about the portals either perhaps that would grab her attention.

“These portals I speak of,” Pyree tried intoning the melodic accent of the young girl, “I think there is one nearby and I'm desperate to get a good look. From what I can tell they are doorways to other worlds. You came from that way, right?”

The girl merely nodded.

Pyree turned to leave. Brushing aside a vine, she looked back, “You can come if you like.”

The environment was much more foreboding than the calm field she teleported from. The trees creaked as she passed, accompanied by a swell of chittering noises. When she arrived to the portal, she knew it was there, but there was nothing like the glowing orange gateway she had seen on D prime. Also, nothing like a giant snake monster. Waving her hands around she felt right where the portal should be. Apparently neither light nor her hands could interact with it. She pulled out her pocket calculator and started taking measurements.

Sitting on cross-legged on the ground she lost herself in her calculations. Using this portal as an control sample, she extrapolated there must be hundreds, no thousands of similar such portals. Did they all travel in one direction? Would they all be tied to planets with breathable atmosphere?

Pyree raised her head, the young thief girl had decided not to follow her. It was a shame about the gun.
    A sound broke her chain of thought completely. The chittering noises had grown very loud. She looked around, staring at trees, branches, and the lush undergrowth. There didn't appear to be a single source of the noise. A scream broke out nearby, its echo followed hollowly.

“That girl!” Pyree jumped to her feet

23. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Relagator Thum

"You killed the behemoth who was about to eat me alive, and that is enough. I'm much obliged, and for that, I owe you my cooperation. I would just like to ask one small favor of you, which is to take the hood off. I detest speaking like this. If you allow me to talk to you mentally I can not only exchange words much easier but I can also exchange images, sounds, sensations. The mental link created between us, if you let me, will turn us into an unstoppable duo!" The human said.

Thum grinned, unstoppable? He like the sound of that. And the human had promised him his cooperation, mabye this alliance would be useful after all.

"You can decide in the morning. I'm heading into that big house over there - Igor pointed with his thumb at a house behind his back - to rest for the night. Tomorrow we will travel towards our destination."
    The human said heading to a house behind him. He lay down on a pile of straw and headed off to sleep. After a moments pause Thum followed. He sat down opposite the sleeping human trying to remember what he could of their race. He remembered they had 24 hour sleep cycles. Thum smiled, he wouldn't have to sleep for a good while. In human terms he had a 72 hour sleep cycle but his adreno pills could extend that.

Mabye he should offer the human one?

He decided against it, the human probably needed to rest. Against his better judgement he pulled the hood down, showing the human some trust might help his obedience. Thum waited through the night, not sleeping but resting while he waited for the human to wake. He woke mid-morning as Thum was looking around the house.

"Ah human you're awake. I spotted a jungle to the north that wasn't there earlier. We should head towards it at once."

24. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

The earth below her shook, and both she and Faramar turned to see a troll wielding a large club with metal spikes protruding from its blunt edge.

"Ah, fantastic, a troll. There's something I've fought before. I can take him easily." Eslana raised her sword to the creature and ran at it. She knew it perfectly: the troll was dumb, and was only focused on trying to hit its target. So, she would let it attack her, hesitate so it would miss, and then jump up and chop its head clean off. She smiled as she thought the plan through. She would impress her new ally, and show that she had skills to be the true leader she was.

"AH!" She charged at the troll, which pulled back the spiky club and took a swing at her. She stopped, inches from getting hit, and then ran forward. The troll, in mid-swing, stopped at thrust his knee forward into Eslana's head. She fell back, stunned for only a moment.

"Okay, so you caught me off guard. Big deal." She kicked her legs up, and got back to her feet. Then she ran forward and jumped up, pulling her sword above her head to deliver the final blow.

"Fool!"

It talked! Trolls only grunted! And they didn't grab people like Eslana out of the air either, but that's what this troll was doing. Eslana was confused by the troll's skills and its language skills.

"Now I shall kill you!"

Well, Eslana thought. This land is sure different.

She held her sword close to her body and jerked her body, spinning in the troll's grip and freeing herself. She did a half-flip on the way down and landed on her feet, her sword instantly at the ready.

"Care to join me friend," she called out to Faramar. She waited until she saw him fly over her and catch the troll's attention. As Faramar flew over the troll's head, Eslana ran at the troll, sword pointed straight out in front of her.

The troll's eyes followed the flying peace-keeper, and Eslana thrust her sword forward at the troll's vulnerable belly. As the troll turned to follow Faramar, he lifted his right leg and kicked Eslana full-force with a roundhouse in the head.

She flew back to the ground. "Son of a Cuuf. An intelligent troll! That's not fair!"

25. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

Her first instinct was to run toward the scream. The hundreds of bugs that were flying straight toward her had other instincts, and their instincts were stronger. Pyree ran the other way.

In her frantic escape she managed several observations: The bugs were large, each one twice the size of her foot. Their heavy carapaces did not crack when she trampled over them with her feet. They only flew short distances, collapsing their wings underneath their shell upon landing. They scraped their mandibles together to make those awful noises. They couldn't cut into her, but every bite left a fierce bruise underneath her suit.

Each time before she was completely surrounded, Pyree would teleport a short distance away, only to find more bugs and more jungle. She was very tired from running, and each teleportation she made brought more strain onto her mind. She knew that if this continued she would die.

“Where to next?” she asked the bugs, “I can't teleport much farther than I can see with all these godless trees on this godless planet.”

She swatted one away with a heavy backhanded stroke, at the same time digging her heel into an unfortunate bug that overturned itself. Individually they weren't more than a bother. The droves they moved in practically smothered her.

The trees were wide, and tall, they blocked a majority of light that trickled from above. Pyree had an idea. She wouldn't have to see where she was going if she just went up, and the gravitational disturbances caused by the portals wouldn't matter greatly as long as she still went up. She looked longingly toward the sky, trying not to think of what would happen if her thread led her somewhere other than "up". Matter displacement, was ugly when dense materials were involved

“Fine,” She reassured herself, “A mile into the air should be fine. Nothing to worry about.”

Closing her eyes she drew out another space-time thread. She stretched it up and up as high as she dared. Within the instant, she was up in the air. The cold wind brushed gently against her cheeks and tossed her hair. She could breath again; the godless bugs were gone. She was flying and the air ripped past her. Actually she was falling, and the ground grew steadily closer.

She was tired of wandering this world aimlessly. The sun was rising, she marked its direction in her mind. She must have been evading bugs for a very long time, unless this planet had fast revolutions. The jungle lay below her, a dense mass bearing a sickly green color compared to the golden fields all around it. A vast sea bordered the far side of the forest, and a wide ravine split the jungle into two sections. She took note of a small clearing at the jungle's epicenter.

With the wind tearing at her more fiercely now, she was out of time for observations. She rolled over onto her back and pulled out her calculator and gravity device. With the data she gathered from the portal, she programmed in new formulas for the cheap tourist device from planet D prime. The sensitive piece of crap didn't automatically adjust for complex shapes of space that the gravity ripples caused. Another quick minute and that would be taken care of.

She turned the devices dial sharply to inverse her personal gravity field. The gut-wrenching sensation was mildly unpleasant, but just in time. She stuck her foot out to land lightly atop one of the jungle's highest branches. It bowed slightly in response. Her fall brought her right back down onto the tangle of trees she'd escaped from, but at least she had her bearings. The ravine was the nearest location not complete covered in trees.

With some time and a closer look at the data, she might be able to solve this world's greatest impossibility. Skipping lightly from branch to branch, she made her way toward the nearby ravine. Her gravity device was back, but she wouldn't feel safe until she could teleport through the gravity ripples spilling out of the portals. For that, she needed more time to test the different hypotheses suggested by her data.