1. Sierra4

Sierra4 New Member

Literacy Practices

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sierra4, Sep 27, 2008.

Hi Everyone!

I am a student at a university in Tennessee and I am an English Writing Major. I have been given the assignment of studying and writing about the literacy practices of a particular community and I might decide to follow through with studying this online writing room. I was originally going to study a middle school English class, however there are too many privacy issues. Before I make a final decision, I will need the support of some of the people on the board or as many who would like to participate.

The main assignment is:

To find out what a particular group of people reads and/or writes and determine how those people are affected by what they read and/or write.

Could you all give me some feedback on that topic? I would like to explore the reading and writing aspect; it will give me more to work with. Even though I am a writer and an avid reader, I am only familiar with what I read and write, so I believe this will be very interesting.

I have thought of some direction for this project and I will probably end up dividing my paper into different types of literature/writing. So, if you write on and/or read about multiple types (sci-fi and history, or whatever combination) please provide some feedback on each type.

I wanted to note that I am just completing this assignment for a writing course and the information I gather would not be used for any type of publication. Names or anything of that nature will not be used, so privacy will not be an issue. Also, if you don't feel comfortable posting here on the message board, feel free to contact me through private messaging.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

2. destinationless

destinationless New Member

You have come to the right place! One thing that makes this forum unique to any other one I have ever been a participant of in the past is our Review Room. It has been designed to be much more than a bullitin board for material; it's a real writing workshop, and, so far as I can tell, slim to zero pieces go unreviewed. We do have designated reviewers (they're usernames are a lovely lime green color) who do intense, thorough reviews, but anyone is allowed to review a piece. We also strive to make sure that we review the piece instead of offer opinions on the topic or anything similar. Reviewing is also a necessity in this community; there is a minimum 2:1 ratio of reviews to submissions.

Instead of waiting for people to come to you, I suggest you go to them. Check out our forums. I think any subforum in the Review Room and the Book Discussion forum you would find beneficial.
    You can also search through user profiles and see who is a published writer, who is self-published, and who is not; that might be interesting for your paper. PM them, ask them for a moment of their time...

I would be happy to offer help to you, but I'm afraid I could only provide insight as to how what I read affects how I write individually. If you would like me to answer that, send me a PM and let me know.

Perhaps the best way to figure out how our community -as a whole- reacts to what is read and what is written, might be a roundtable with some of the more dedicated and esteemed members of the forum. You can find out who's who by the color of their username in the directory. Try talking to some of the senior members, in a deep blue; super moderators, cyan; and the administrator, Daniel, who shows up in sort of a brick red.)
    Of course, none of that is up to me; I joined this forum very recently.
    I'd wait for one of the supermoderators like Cogito or our administrator Daniel to respond to this thread, which if I assume correctly, should most definitely be within the next 24 hours.

Best of luck; your paper sounds like it has a lot of promise to it! (And Tennessee. :) My favorite state. I live in the midwest; I'd love to spend my entire adult life --I'm 17, in Tennessee.)

-D

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm moving this from Suggestions and Feedback to the Lounge, for anyone who wishes to take part in it.

4. lessa

lessa New Member

I would be glad to help but I think it would be easier if done by emails or pm's.
    but any way I am willing able and available.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'd be happy to help out, too. Just pm me the questions and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Me too. If you have any questions just PM me. I'd be happy to help. :D

7. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Because there's nothin' funner than rounding out a demographic, I'd love to be a part of this study! Feel free to message it to me and I'll do my best to answer your questions thoroughly and helpfully.

8. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I'm willing to help out, and just out of curiosity, which UT are you at?

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can email me any time...

love and hugs, maia

10. Sierra4

Sierra4 New Member

Thank you all for replying and I will be contacting each of you shortly. I am wrapping up the first large paper of the semester and once I have finished that paper I will then be moving on to the next which pertains to the literacy practices.

Oh and for the person who asked about the university I attend...I am currently a sophomore at Belmont University. However, I am a die hard UT Football Fan. Go Big Orange! :D

11. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

ohh, okay. I thought you said you went to UT. And I live close to Belmont, so, I know where you are. ha

I see where I misread it. You said "University in Tennessee" I read "University of Tennessee" Close, but not quite.

12. Sierra4

Sierra4 New Member

Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. UT-Knox was an option-I got accepted, but Belmont was/is my dream school...so it was a hands down decision. I was born and raised in TN and that is probably why I am such a big UT fan. I will be at the game on the 4th. Wow, you are a local. I am on various online forums, but it is rare for me to find someone who lives in TN.