1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Using Astrology to Develop Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jaclyn, May 14, 2008.

I haven't really played around with this concept a whole lot, but I found that using astrology to help define a character can be very helpful.

What I would do was decide which astrological sign I felt my character could identify with the most by searching up all of the signs on Wikipedia and studying the traits associated with them. I probably wouldn't use every trait, but I'd definitely draw inspiration from most of them.

For example, if I chose my character to be a Gemini some of the associated traits include: charming, intellectual, over-talkative, and ego-oriented.

What is also cool about Wikipedia is that it shows you the positive traits and the negative traits the sign has, physical traits, ideal careers, likes and dislikes, and which signs you are and are not compatible with.

This idea was super helpful for me and I thought I'd share it with anyone who may be struggling with new characters.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Each unto their own, I suppose.

Myself I wouldn't use this, simply because I don't believe in astrology- I fail to see how balls of superheated gas and rock millions of lightyears away can have an effect on our lives. But yeah, if it works for you, go for it.

3. Sayuri

Sayuri New Member

I think the point is that the traits go together in a sort of system, whether you believe in astrology or not. I certainly don't, but I can see how some personalities are like water, fire, or earth--at least in terms of how we ascribe personality characteristics to an element. I'm a fire sign, and I'm definitely an angry little bee-yotch. Along with angry bee-yotchness comes egocentricity, self-righteousness, fierce loyalty, and courage. It just makes sense. People with one trait are likely to have the others. And people who are loyal are likely to have conflicts with people who are ambitious and switch loyalties on a dime.

People with my sign are also supposed to be "athletic." Well, I'm about as athletic as a slug with Epstein Barr. That's not the point in terms of character creation. It's what sorts of traits go together.

4. Beth

Beth Member

Yeah! I do that too!!!
    My main character is a Leo and acts as a Leo! His best friend is Pisces and she is a typical Pisces.. possessive, jealous, lazy.. ^^
    His girlfriend is a Sagittarius and they are constantly burning together in the good and in the bad sense! Obviously I don't say that in the story, but it helps me a lot to define what the character would act like in a certain moment..

5. Beth

Beth Member

Sagittarius? :p

6. Sayuri

Sayuri New Member

Yup. :D November 30, same birthday as Winston Churchill, who also did not appear to be athletic. I could be wrong, though. Oh--and my sister is a Leo. We get along fabulously. So much so that often we simply have nothing to say. We just yammer on at each other without even expecting a response, because we automatically agree on everything. But my mother? She's a Virgo. And we both can't exchange three sentences with her without an explosive fight.

ETA - Oh, I see you're from Italy! What part are you from, if you don't mind me asking? I studied both Latin and Italian for years. I'm terrible at it, but I :love: Italian culture. (And I know, Italian culture consists of Milanese, Venetian, Sicilian, Roman, and German culture! I LOVE ALL!)

7. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Well, I work a lot with astrology and I have to say I think it is a very good way to get to know a character's personal traits, and how they interact with others as well. Even if you are not a subscriber to the idea of astrology, searching out characteristics can add inspiration when personalizing your characters.

Great thread Jaclyn!!