1. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

How to nudge??

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by bsbvermont, Jul 27, 2012.

Dear folks... I have had a few partial requests, a few rejections and also some from whom I have heard nothing, but have on their website to nudge,after 6 weeks if i hear nothing back. What is the proper nudge format? Do I re-query or write a gentle nudge note and put my original query into the email? Is there a format for this? Appreciate any suggestions you've got!:confused:

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if they actually say to 'nudge' then do that... put 'nudge' in the email subject line and maybe start the message with 'did this get lost?' and follow with your original query...

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

What is the purpose of the 'nudge'? Because you're impatient, excited, annoyed, worried your submission got lost in the shuffle? Will 'nudging' cause the editor or agent to move your submission ahead of others and read it out of order? If it were me, I'd wait at least twice the posted timeframe for a response.

In my experience, the replies from editors/agents that meet the posted timeframe are usually those that are rejected--often a form rejection. If a partial has been requested, the agent/editor is interested. And it's very rare for a mansucript package to get set aside indefinately or misplaced.

How and when you communicate with agents/editors is a window into what they might expect, if your work is accepted for representation/publication. This is important to them too. So whenever you communicate, be polite and professional. By posting your question and concern about nudging, I stronly suspect you are professional/polite, bsbvermont, but chances are a lot of others will read this thread as well, so I thought it worth mentioning.

That's my two cents. Good luck!

4. bsbvermont

bsbvermont Active Member

TWErivin2, great advice... Yes I am probably way too impatient and should let the 6 weeks turn into 12. I do realize also that it is summer and that can mean less time at one's desk. I keep looking at response stats for the agents I've queried and there is considerably less activity this time of year. I need to breathe and concentrate on other projects...GOOD ADVICE...thanks for keeping me in check!