1. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

No dialogue

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chinspinner, Apr 2, 2015.

I am most of the way through a chapter which necessarily has no dialogue. I think there is enough action and internal monologue to carry it. I don't particularly just want to throw it on the internet for review as it will be an entire chapter.

What are peoples thoughts on a complete absence of any character interaction or dialogue for extended periods?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've read books where there was no dialogue for dozens of pages. Samuel Beckett's trilogy falls into this category. In fact, the final book in the trilogy, The Unnamable, is just one character's thoughts. There's no dialogue at all.

So to answer your question, I don't mind not having dialogue.

3. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

Internal dialogue is the same as dialogue for me. If you have both the objective and subjective, it should be a good read. But I wouldn't like only action, action, action.

Chinspinner likes this.
  4. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I mean action in terms of the plot progressing, not some chapter long fist fight, although that could be bloody entertaining to write.

lustrousonion likes this.
  5. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

As long as it's written well - eg. it's interesting to me lol - I don't see a problem. I think it might take greater skill to carry so much narrative without any breaks, you might need a stronger, wittier voice than if it had been a more conventional chapter with dialogue, but I don't see any problems in not having dialogue in and of itself.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Zero dialogue would be easier to carry off in First person POV, where you've got plenty of internal dialogue.

But no reason why, well written, 3rd person couldn't work.

7. HistoricalScience

HistoricalScience Active Member

My entire first chapter has almost no dialogue and I don't think that hinders it in any way. You don't need dialogue to tell a story.

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I've read plenty of books that can go on and on with hardly any dialogue at all. But that being said what's your genre? Are you going to upset your readers?
    I'm usually not one for keeping them in mind but if you are going that route you might want to check out books similar to what you're writing and see if they got away with it.

9. Wolfmaster1234

Wolfmaster1234 Member

Dialogue at the end of the day as with everything else in a story is a literary construct. As long as your story goes where it needs to and does what it needs to it doesn't really matter how you get there.