No Handgun Ban!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Slippery

Slippery New Member

Is it weird if I am against gun bans, but I also don't have a gun and don't really want one?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Firearms are not for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. But attempting to ban all firearms generally means the law-abiding citizens will be the ones disarmed. They follow the law. Criminals, on the other hand, who are in the habit of breaking the law anyway would be the only ones armed, except for the police. However, there will never be enough police to protect everyone at all times. How long before they can respond? Five, ten, twenty minutes?--if someone is able to place the call.

The result of banning is that the criminals are armed and the innocent citizens are not. That's a recipe for lopsided results in favor of the criminal.

There is a variety of firearms my the house, and both my wife and I are proficent in their maintenance and use.

Terry

3. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

Ok. I guess I will have to ring in with my two cents on this one.

First. Banzai...if increased gun control has led to more gun violence...does that not tell us something in itself? Where there's a will, there's a gun. What happens when you strip people of the right to possess weapons? It ensures that the criminals are the only ones who are going to have them, and thats not the situation I would prefer. The likelihood that the world could be stripped of weapons is impossible. not improbable, impossible. So the idea that every country should put a ban on weapons is absurd. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you in desiring for peace, but pragmatically, I see no way where this could happen, ever.

I know that the rest of the world is probably used to/fed up with our American "Dirty Harry" mindset, and I can 100% understand that. There are a lot of people who come off as completely ignorant on this subject, but you also should realize that the issue at hand is completely relative to the environment in which we were all raised. Does this make one side better, smarter or more right than the other? Absolutely not. What works in one country is not guaranteed to work in another. The second amendment is so ingrained in our culture that it would be near impossible to remove it, and I certainly don't think they should.

I have handled firearms since I was young, as I have been an avid hunter for about 15 years now. I have completed many safety courses as well as my training from the U.S. Army, so I am proficient in handling a weapon. Sadly, just about anyone can go buy a gun. The best I think you would be able to do is to place harsher restrictions for people to have access to purchasing firearms, but yet again, it's impractical. So many people over here own weapons, that all you have to do is buy it from someone you know.

I guess the whole point of this rant is this. Guns will be present in America for a very long time. The only feasible way that they are going to be removed is over a long period of time in a phasing out process. Any abrupt changes would have catastrophic results, as many of us realize. I, personally, advocate for firearms. I have several myself that stay loaded (since I have no children) and I sleep comfortably at night knowing that I have immediate protection if I need it. Police response times aren't very good here, and I feel much safer knowing that I have another option to defend the most sacred thing to me, my life.