1. onimaso

onimaso New Member

I need help with my story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by onimaso, Sep 19, 2011.

i'm not writing a book or anything but i am creating a video game using world editor program for War Craft 3. So I'm creating a medieval fantasy world with the tools i have at my disposal. I'm basing my map off of another player made map called Wars of Azeroth, which is basically a Risk style ATS(real time strategy game PACKED FULL OF WARCRAFT LORE. My Main goal is to make my own Original map and my put into it my own Lore. My own story, but i have a few more goals. This is a multiplayer game and i wish to pull people in and get them addicted to any characters they can identify with. I Them to not only enjoy taking over my fantasy world and beating other players in the dirt i get victory, but i want them to find something enchanting and enriching about the story and what ever hero they take to claim the world.

Now i'm not the best story teller and my plot lacks a lot of character. I need to create factions and conflict between along with hero's that lead them. I need a Concert landmass As well and a creation story for my world, because Holy magic is real in this game so That's proof of a god as far as this game goes.

I'm Hoping to find people here that are interested enough to pass off and think of ideas with me. I work better with people that get me thinking. If anyone reads this and would like to get to know my world and are willing to learn more and are willing to try to help that would be amazing. I hope this world i create can also be the foundation to other story's i write and other games i make. thank you for your time.

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

You'll need to give us a little overview of your story first. We're not going to think up ideas for you that's for sure. What have you got so far and what parts do you need improving upon?

3. onimaso

onimaso New Member

World name: Traloisa

My creation idea so far is The world was once covered in darkness and gods influenced the world by sending there worriers to spread both there light and and to spread there dark powers over the Cosmos. the leaders sent and aspects of the gods were called the Ancients. In time the ancients died but most of the world taken by the light and evil forces were pushed out.

Note i don't want the evil forces totally viewed as evil. i want that to be a point of view left to the players. idk how to do that yet.

Time goes buy and a i priest maybe paladin named Drakul turns to evil forces. out of being power hungry or something idk the reason yet, because im trying to stay away from the whole Starwars darthvader thing and In Warcraft 3 there is a hero named arthis that is a paladin turned evil. I need something orignal for him. He is an important character because he is gonna be the important player for one of the evil forces.

After Drakul sides with evil after a bloody war between the light which is know as "The Crystal Temple" and a group made to protect the world called the "Order of Traloisa" pretty much the United Nations but Magic users of high power. Theses to forces are able to destory drakul but not for good. unable to completely be destoryed for for what ever reason they rip apart his body and lock him away throughout the world.

time goes by and a necromancer that was a servent to his lord Drakul starts the quest to raise his master and start the conquest of darkness again.

The temple and the order are both looked at as different. the Temple are the Holy man almost jedi like faction hell bent on destorying any and everything that appears evil, but appearances can be deceiving. During the Cleansing (the claiming of the world by light) The Ancient allied with creatures that seemed worthy of this new order. In this ranks a Highly gifted group of magic uses rose to protect the world and created a the Order of Traloisa to protect the realms for peace not in the name of any god. But some are holy men. Note just because the Crystal temple is referred as the light it does not mean there's a dark side. There Ancient has a darkside that i have been working on.

I'm going to look some details about the Crystal Temple now. The Ancient claimed the world under the rule of his god, he granted the powers of healing and other holy magic to his followers. All this Power came from a Crystal given to him by his creator. This Crystal Is the only realistic way i could think of putting presence god in the game and have it not The player wondering why The "all mighty god light god does not just take the world himself. Its not a god really its just a powerful creator that is in mystery. This Crystal is the source of the paladins magic.

Now The Order of Traloisa are just human like creatures with magic powers the evolved or whatever they just have magic.

Humanity is still going to act like Humanity Nations are going to rise and fight for control. Besides the order of Traloisa and Crystal Temple which are not really nationsas of now there are 2 human nations by the start of the game and a elf nation and dwarf nation. theses are the Nations that are allied with The order and are also allied and neutral with Crystal Temple as long as they see some common evil forces that need to be dealt with.

The elfs and dwarfs don't see eye to eye because of the nature of both races and the 2 human nations are fighting over power. yes they are all allied with the order but that means nothing when forces of darkness are thought to be destroyed.

I'm typing fast, I'm typing a lot, and I don't really care as long as you get the point, but ill work on the grammar if that helps. Sorry.

Here is some history about the two human nations there's not much, but here it is. One is called the Northern Kingdom the other the Southern Kingdom. I'm sure you get the idea where they are located, Ones in the South ones in the North. They use to be the same kingdom but the King died and his son is to young to take the thrown. The country is split now between who should be the next king. I have been thinking about maybe on nation wanting to overthrow monarchy to began with, but i want it to be drama packed, so and i'm holding out for something original. getting help for that would be nice.

lol sorry Protar i didn't see your post i'm typing a lot and lost track! XD I hope you are starting to understand this is a big project for my little mind i also have to do alot of programming to make the events work in the game. I really lack with my typing skills and spelling i know. :(

I was thinking about expanding on my creation story and the who time period of The cleansing. I picture the Holy ancient to be a little less holy then what the myth are gonna say about him after his death.

It's a really odd story really. Pretty much I was trying to add more taste to the world post cleaning period and Game wise player wise add more items in the game that have lore behind them, because this is gonna be a video game i need to also plan about now i can make it work so players like it. Anyways What I got a few weapons right now the Idea is about 2 sword. They are holy right now called Justice and Judgement.

I'll just type copy what I was typing when I was brainstorming.

and i hope my grammar is doing a little better as of now. haha

justice and judgment, (The blades of the sister)

Theses blades are both shrowded in mystery and Legend. many have heard the
    Roumors of the Wolf god of northers lands of iarna and his great fang that was tore from its mouth by the Temples Anchent after being labeled a demon during the worlds cleasing. Many more have heard and have witnessed his so called desedents his sons and daughters that stalk the night the iarna raging chaos in the north, but few only have heard of the son and ture heir of the wolf god that would unite the wolfpacks and bring fore ............

Idk what I want to bring fore yet haha XD

Anyways the idea i got for the Son of the wolf god is i have this character that's a holy swordsman named Agnar that but unknowingly even to him his carries the last true blood of the wolf god. All that he needs to awaken it is The something to reconnect him with his blood line like justice and judgement his fathers fangs. I know this idea has a lot of holes, but I think it can go somewhere.

For the player if he or she chooses this path it will be nice because all his units will change and alliances may change also, so the game would change routes drastically.

I just need that idea to sound better and to clean up all the holes. Its really sloppy.

I'd like to use a holy swordsman because because it relates to my favorite game Final Fantasy tactics: War of The Lions
    If there's anyone like me that loves that game I hope that they will like where this character is coming from from.

4. Protar

Protar Active Member

Well first off youre grammar needs improving a bit (it's kind of a struggle.) and you can post more than one paragraph in a post :). Anyway, story wise you have a firm basis but it just needs fleshing out. Personally I don't think a detailed creation story is necessary at least not to begin with. It's taken place possibly millions of years ago so it seems unlikely that your characters will know anything about it except a myth of a myth of a myth, if that. A vague idea is fine for now.

I'm glad you're taking a gray morality route, as that's always more interesting. Rather than just having villains do things for the giggles give them complex motivations. As for this Drakul fellow maybe his evil comes from religious extremism. He's a paladin after all. In his quest to purge the world of sinner and non-believers he could lose track of his vision. The details are up to you of course.

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

really?

6. Protar

Protar Active Member

woops. still my point stands

7. Protar

Protar Active Member

You ever consider decaffeinated coffee?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

And you're the writer - the ideas should all come from you.

9. onimaso

onimaso New Member

Thank you Cogito for cleaning up everything, it all looks a lot nicer. I know everything's been done before, but is it possible to mask it in a different way?

I'm have a dilemma writing it, because I'm not really writing there story from start to finish. I'm putting a lot of cause and effect into a video game. Meaning multiple scenarios per player taking part in the game. I'm just hoping to give the the proper lore to intrigue people to play there faction and also allow the player to portray there faction in there own way, so In all truth i'm trying to give the player free will to handle his faction and if they win they conquer the world I have created. If they lose then hopefully have a heroic there own heroic lore to end on as well I hope they had a great time during the game.

Lol this is a joke, but god for bid i write a book, because my spelling and grammar are horrific. :eek:

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Of course. But the difference doesn't show up in a plot synopsis. It shows up in the totality of the writing. Not in weird twists, not in changing the species of the characters, but in the characterization and the writer's unique voice.,

11. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Cogito, I do agree with you somewhat, but it is possible to come up with an idea that has never been done before, though the theme of the idea (like love, selfishness, pride, hate, care, God vs. Man, magic, etc) is almost impossible to come up. Otherwise, if a new theme that has never been done before, it would be hard to market that theme to a massive group of audience.

A novel, book, or movie can be written from a pitch and not necessarily through just execution if the idea. But most likely, like you said, most stories are written through execution and not from a pitch.

12. echughtai

echughtai New Member

don't worry about the grammar it can wait its not as important yet and really your just getting ideas on to paper.