1. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

alter ego and half-dragon plot help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Honorius, Apr 5, 2008.

i have a great plot for my story but ive come to two road blocks. i need a way for an alter ego (mean alter ego) to be instilled in the protagonist and a way for him to become a half-dragon without being born that way.

2. Klee

Klee New Member

I'd like to help, but can I ask more or less what your plot is?

3. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

im relunctant to say much (slight paranoia of someone stealing the plot)
    but ill give the basic overview

essentially the protagonist (none of my characters have true names yet:p) and his brother are out to defeat a half dragon overlord (born as a half dragon) who is responsible for the destruction of the island village that was their home (takes place on an archipelago)

somewhere along their quest the protagonist and his brother are separated and the protagonist meets an old friend of his (childhood friend crush type character) and she joins him

then i get stuck... i know what i want to happen but not how to execute it.
    i want the protagonist to become instilled with an alter ego (he is the hero type character; justice, good, etc. the alter ego has the same goal but it ruthless and savage will kill anyone in the way eventually becoming as much a tyrant as the antagonist) and for him to become a half dragon (humanoid with dragon features i.e. wings, tail, teeth, fire breath, etc.)

and then a sort of redemption cycle for the protagonist
    of course i've left out some details and the rest of the plot (more about the brother)

4. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Psychedelic drugs are a great way to become a half dragon at a low price. Just have the character eat a bunch of mushrooms or drop some acid, and then he'll become a half-dragon if he tries hard enough!

5. Klee

Klee New Member

Well, there's lot of ways to execute it. You could have another character curse/poison/trick/transform/pass it on to your character, at least that's how I would resolve it. Or could start writing your novel already and just go with the flow, maybe that way the solution will come on its own.

6. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

i considered just going with the flow but thought it'd be better to have an idea of what to do first.

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I had a concept plot for a romance novel awhile back. Romance *shivers* not my usual territory... which explains why it remains a concept XD. I did the whole protagonists dies and is brought back to life by an actual dragon who has magical powers as a dragon... of course that's about as far as I got. You could do the same thing but modify it to fit your storyline. Maybe the character doesn't actually die. Maybe he/she makes a deal or something, or you could go a different direction. Magical items always work (and make convieneint titles).

8. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

thank you so much for that last coment "deal" that word did it... along with walking my dog (there isn't a better way for inspiration to strike... walk your dog and listen to your i-pod)

it needs fine tuning and more detail but how bout this...
    protagonist meets finds the half-dragon and attacks him... protagonist is beat down and left to die... an elderly mage/sorcerer finds him (i think i'll make this the human brother to the half-dragon)... the mage heals the protagonist by infusing dragon's blood (or a magic item) which makes him a half-dragon (fortunatly half-dragons can change between humanoid and dragonoid form)... but the protagonist must help the mage (mage wants to defeat the half-dragon; but also has malicious motives behind it)

9. Klee

Klee New Member

just a question, why would the protagonist attack the half-dragon? it sounds good and all, but that's the only thing that jumps out to me

10. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

WOAH.

I'm amazed. I thought that my character having the Half-Dragon with an alter ego( Kind of, not really its actually really hard to explain..) thing going on, that no one else would think about. I do like your idea, just PM me and we can talk about it.

11. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

as to why the protagonist is attacking its somewhere along the lines of his island being attacked, him going out for vengence, finding out that the half-dragon is the son of the dragon that his father gave his life to defeat, and vengence for that

... i haven't had a chance to walk my dog recently... it rains... so that part which essentially the begining needs some tuning