1. Aktive

Aktive New Member

No peace!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aktive, May 24, 2009.

Why am i always attacked for sayin my take on things.....do people not accept free writing as a way to come to some understanding in this madness of a exsitence....must i always use periods and proper grammer when unleashing and revealing true intentions....intentions that are well intented and maybe not even well thought out??.....it comes out of us all i feel if we open the doors of our own perseption......desire to hate on our fellow man must ultimetely cease to transprire....i know what i write is deep.....complicated in form and verse but its real.....its my feelings.....its more then worthless issues that have no bearing on what i would like to call destiny.....i shall seize the day and milk it for all it's happiness and worth.....understanding of ideas or beliefs that you can never understand is true self growth....acceptance.....whatever you wanna call it.....okay im done....lord knows i wanna rant and rave to the critism of many who hate all who dream and envision greater things to come.......due time.....press ever forward and the rest shall be revealed undoubtably i would hope.....find inner peace and excitement in the things that really matter......for once.....you could actually find yourself content......if not their is always myspace....or twitter.....

2. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

1.) This is a writing forum, and part of writing is use of proper grammar and syntax. Keep in mind that the only impression we can get from you is what you put in text.

2.) This is a social part of the forum, for chatting and debating. If you feel like philosophizing, each member has a free blog. Use yours for that.

3.) No one is attacking you, please quit it with the over defensiveness and condescension. We mean you no ill will. In fact, hi! My name is Mallory. Want to be friends?

3. Aktive

Aktive New Member

okay....ill behave

okay. Sorry. Im still workin on the whole humble thing. So where should i free write my thoughts and opinions? And yeah i would like to be your friend. ~jacob-Austin

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You do have a member blog to post in. It's a good place for airing thoughts. The Lounge is generally for social interaction, not for use as a personal soapbox. Although we do allow discussions of sometimes controversial current events, the purpose of the Lounge is not for debating or polls.

It's one way of trying to keep the atmosphere as friendly amd peaceful as possible.

5. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

We all have the issue every now and again of breakdowns and thinking people are juding or ingnoring you. But you get over it and move on. Welcome, and say hi to everyone, they may not agree with you but that is how you improve.

6. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Aktive,

You could have the greatest ideas and insights in the known and unknown universes, but explaining them, in Chinese, to someone who ony understands Lithuanian wouldn't get very far. If you need to share your ideas and have them taken seriously, at least a nominal nod to the standard structures would be a tremendous help.

Besides, the giant wall of text interrupted only by ........ is a real female canine on my eyes.

7. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but 'ramming', which is how I perceived your piece, really won't garner you many return readers, never mind fans. Structuring your writing in such a way that its message will be understood would go a long way to getting you closer to your objective. Also, posting it in the right thread would prove helpful. Last point - try exhaling. Welcome to the forums.:)

8. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Oh Aktive

You're hilarious.

9. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

People are always going to challenge your opinions. It is nothing personal, and doesn't mean they don't respect you or your opinions. People just like being right, or have fun debating.

10. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I'm sorry Aktive, I am not intending offense by what I am about to say, but it might seem a little harsh.

All I got from your two postings are disjointed thoughts presented to me in one long, never-ending paragraph.

As much as you may have or currently hate English classes in high school it is taught for a reason. IF you want people to take your thoughts seriously you need two things: A) The ability to pick your main point and B) the ability to present it logically to others for consumption.

While spelling and grammar are important parts of presenting a clear, thought out point, they are not as important as logical sequencing of your thoughts.

You start out with a hypothesis, and write paragraphs to show support your conclusion.

Yes, some people think using ellipses is "cool" and "edgy", but most times it is just annoying to the reader. They have their place in thought processes of fictional characters and dialog, but in a non-fiction opinion piece, they have no place. There is no place in non-fiction that you need to take that kind of pause.

If you want people to read your thoughts, you need to give us something to read, other than incoherent rambling. Gather your thoughts, come up with a point, and set out to support it. That will grab your reader and get them either nodding their head in agreement or cursing the screen in disagreement.

As much as you probably hate hearing this, you are young in the world of writing. I know I hated hearing this and still do every now and then, but it is the truth. When we are young and starting out we tend to think we are special and brillient, and our thoughts should be shared with the world. After being torn apart and spit out in the world of writing year after year, we start to realize the importance of the craft itself, not just what we have to say.

Since you are young, you have plenty of time to hone your skill and learn the craft and then mold it into your own voice. The elements of writing are like a skeleton that we add our own personal voice to. The rules of writing are there to help us present our thoughts in a clear, consistent way to our audience.

If we wanted to just write for ourselves we would write in a journal. If we want others to read what we write, we must write for the audience. Right now, your audience is saying they don't like your lack of consideration for even remotely proper use of the English language.

The best advice you are going to get is to just keep practicing. Write stuff and present it to people and ask how you could make it better. Take suggestions to heart and learn how to better write for your audience, rather than writing for yourself and expecting others to want to read it.

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Because I think we all forget for a second that we are all writers. We all are opinionated people and we're going to get heated in conversations. Just because we are writers and we have observed so much. Or that is my take on it.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No one is forgetting that, Leaka. But everyone here is still responsible for how you express it. ESPECIALLY as writers.

13. Aktive

Aktive New Member

Thank you. Really. You said just what I needed to hear. That was dead on.