1. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

No, plot bunny! I don't want to chase you!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Penny Dreadful, Jan 23, 2009.

All right, so maybe I'm using a pretty fanfiction-specific term here... It still works with my question.

What do the rest of you do when that little obsession of an idea pops into you mind? You already have a project or two you're busy with. Both projects were going just peachy, but now when you write the new idea is just sitting there... doing its little sexy dance... daring you to cheat on the project you need to get done.

When I was little, I loved writing fanfiction. I've always written original work, but fanfiction was something I could write, finish, and give others to read for feedback. I picked up a decent following in later years, but essentially dropped writing it a few years back. Writing fanfiction had given me invaluable experience, critique, and, best of all, confidence... but, I needed to apply all that to my dream of working toward working as a writer.

Unfortunately, fanfiction is sort of like good smut for me (with the exception of when it actually is good smut). I want to write it. I love to write it. I don't have the time. But, occasionally, the plot bunny wins and I drop constructive work for something fun but pointless.

My boyfriend started re-watching an anime called "Hunter x Hunter" recently. I blame him. HxH is, easily, my favorite show. If someone I know is watching it, I'm there. This, of course, triggered me to look up some of my old contributions to the fandom and now has me itching to make one more.

I haven't written it yet, but I'm sure I'll give in soon.

I apologize for my rambling. I just had to vent somewhere. :rolleyes: I'm certain I'm not the only one with this problem.

2. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

I think that happens to everyone. Or at least it happens to me all the time. This problem has lead to countless discarded projects laying all over the place, all abandoned with the intention of "finishing them later."

I don't personally write fanfiction. Well, you could consider what I'm writing now to be Sesame Street fanfic. It's, uh, kinda weird. But this happens to me with all sorts of ideas. The best thing to do is try and ignore it. It's a rotten habit to break if you get into the jumping from prject to project mindset. The best way to do it, I've found, is to set up the sexier idea as a reward. Like "OK, when I finish this then I'll be able to work on that!" That's actually motivated me to finish even boring projects faster thanks to the 'plot bunnies' as you call them. Then when you finish the less-sexy but important project, you're eager to write the new one. And then when a new bunny comes by to distract...rinse and repeat?

Of course, other times my will subsides despite this strategy and I find myself jumping from project to project like a madman. :meh: It's not a good thing to do though.

HunterxHunter, eh? I read like the first three books of that manga series a while back. Don't remember it at all, it was during the phase when I was into graphic novels.

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't think it being fanfiction has anything to do with this problem in general (though it is for you). Most writers have so many stories they want to tell that they can't keep up with it, and sometimes something sparks a new one that they have a hard time resisting, despite being in the middle of two or three other projects. There is nothing wrong with having lots of projects as long as you can get stuff done and focus on one when you have to. Do you really think that writers who publish novels and short stories wait until they don't have a novel to work on to write short stories? They'd miss out on a lot of opportunities, especially if they are well-known enough to be asked to contribute to short-story collections.

4. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

I was refering to all little story sparks. I know all writers aren't sidetracked by fanfiction. It just happens to be one of my own vices, so I mentioned it. ;)

I use that strategy myself. At the moment it's, "Finish that flash fiction you were doing all the research for and then you can work on your pointlessness... as long as you leave yourself time to finish up that chapter in your novel."

I've only ever glanced at the manga. I'm not a manga fan, though I have peeked ahead in HxH to see when a new OVA might be released. I'm not even a huge fan of anime. I've just been hooked on HxH since I was introduced to it. Torture, self-mutilation, pedophilia, child abuse, and fanservice in what seems to be a kids show? Gotta love those wacky Japanese animators...

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

BTW, loved the spouse cheating analogy. ;)

Yes, this happens to us all. Sometimes I even find a way to merge the new with the old.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why is it a problem?... most writers work on more than one project at a time... some can work on many... you're the one in control, so just write whatever you want to write, whenever you want to!

7. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I wish I wrote fanfiction. I love anime as well and have some great ideas in mind based off some of my favorites.

I plan on writing some stories that are influenced but not based on anime I like. I love big robots and the cool powers.

When I have an idea pop in my head I write it down in my note book and flesh out a general possible plot line and ideas I may want to convey. That helps take it off my mind for a little while.

Is Hunter xHunter really good? What kind of anime is it?

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Well, I'm not into the fanfic thing, but I get the same issue. It's usually not so bad since most ideas that come to me can fit into my serials, which are my main projects, though now and then there's a short story idea. I don't consider it "cheating" since either way I get the important stuff done and I love all my work equally. Granted, I'm not trying to get published, so there's not as much stress on finishing things in a timely manner, but I have my own goals. For example, I really want to start work on my next serial, but I tell myself I must finish the current one first. So, no "cheating" there.

It can get distracting, but the only thing one can do is decide what project holds most importance to them (and in how much time they should get it done). IMO it's okay to put things off now and then to pursue a frivolous project, but when it keeps you from reaching your goals, whatever they are, then it becomes a problem. It's all about priorities...

...not cheating. But that's just my opinion. *shrug*

9. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

tehuti88. Do you blog your serial at all? If you do please let me know where, if not hit me up sometime.

I would like to speak with you about something.

10. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

Yup, i totally understand. I was working on one story, then plot bunny hit me with an other idea so i was working on two and now last week, plot bunny hit me again... and now presently working on 3 stories.... All vampire related... :p
    And to tell you honestly, i literally have over 30 story ideas, some developed and others not, so TRUST me, i know your pain!! lol

11. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I used to do a lot of fanfiction(anime mainly), though I don't know that I had a very big following. My sub-genre really ticked off a lot of fans. Every now and then, I make a plan to do some again. But then I consider all the work I have to do for various original fiction stories, and I manage to put it off.

Instead, I get side-tracked by all the work I have to do for original fiction stories. /ramble

But another thing I like to do is poetry, and I do manage it like others have mentioned. I take a little break if I have a really good idea, and otherwise I keep it on the back burner.

Not sure how useful this post is, but I can relate to the problem and the desire to vent a little.

12. Xina

Xina New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. It has been a bane of my existence since I first learned to put pen to paper. It seems my mind is never without a new idea.

That's not to say that I wish it were any other way, it's just a matter of needing to learn how to organize my time and my work better.

I've written my share of fanfic and a few other things that I find more simple and fun. The ideas come easily and the lack of necessity for developing the characters yourself can be a welcome break from the more complicated stuff. But more often than not my plot bunnies are my own stories brought on by a walk through the grocery store, spying an old house between the trees, or a religious discussion with my mother.

I've read books written by authors to take their minds of a more serious project. I suppose if they can do that and still get both works published then perhaps I can allow myself a little leeway as well.

13. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

I never knew there was a proper diagnosis term for this condition until I came to WF recently. :rolleyes:
    Fan Fiction Addiction, lol. And now...plot bunnies? Hahaha.
    An idea for a 'book 5' to a 4 book series I just read keeps plaguing me. I didn't know what to do with it. It's not like the writer is going to say "Oh look, one of my fans sent me a plot summary for my next book! Thanks!" :p So now, I know I just have to write it up myself and post it here. Cool. And even if people think it's strange to write fan fiction, I won't be alone in it anymore. Enough rambling. Sorry. I'm just happy.:D

14. Darker Rarechild

Darker Rarechild New Member

Ah, fan fiction. I haven't written any of the sort in a long time. It was fun as a child and teen, but I haven't had a real urge to write anything of the sort.

I wrote only a small amount of fan fics, but I think they seemed well received by the few people who read them.

Lets see, I've done:

Pokemon
    Yu-Gi-Oh
    Legends of Zelda
    Undertaker from WWE(WWF when I wrote it)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I wrote this as a fan script for a Halloween class project in 7th Grade and got a B)
    A short story sequel to a book we had to read in 8th grade. This was the Teachers idea for an assignment. I also got a b or so on it.

Then I had a small host of Ideas for other things.
    Script Idea for Degrassi:The Next Generation

I even came up with two Ideas for Freddy Vs Jason 2. I didn't use Ash though in my Ideas. One used Buffy. lol!

I don't write any fanfics any more, but I have had ideas hit me from time to time. I try to ignore them or store them away or work them into original ideas.

My advice to you, since you enjoy writing fanfics is why not do it as a treat for yourself? You always hear writers saying to do something nice for yourself when you get done writing something. FanFic is your thing. When you get x amount of words or pages or whatever on your original writing, why not treat yourself to writing some of that Fanfic? I think it would create a nice balance for you and you will still get stuff done.

Just a thought.