Tags:
  1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Need help with a name!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marcelo, Jan 13, 2010.

Ok, so here's the problem. In my story, there are beings who resemble humans physically, but are much more powerful and adept at magic. Every time one of these beings die, another one is born anywhere in the world. I first thought of naming them Oracles (Prophetic vision, didn't work) and then Ancients (Used to death), and so I'm breaking my head trying to come up with a name. So, can you help me?:redface:

2. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

What about changelings. You could play up the old superstition about human babies being replaced by "faerie" ones.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Choose any name for now. As you write, you'll probably come up with something that fits better, as they take shape in the story.

4. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Maybe one or two of them could have sort-of human sounding names, to make it flow more naturally... Perhaps "Dean", "Castiel", and "sam?" (supernatral). Just joking of course.

5. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Well, if there's a constant number of them, what about Constants? Or Absolutes? Or Finites?

Or, hell, Pheonixes if you're really desperate.

But really, this is a part of your mythology, part of your story. Just choose a filler for now and you'll find something eventually.

Or, pop open a text file and write names that you think sound vaguely interesting. Get at least thirty or forty of them. You'll find, after a while, that you'll be aiming at something, though it might not be what you intended. I (with help from a friend) chose the name for my savage race of warriors- the Ailar- this way.

6. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I agree on using a placeholder name. Don't force it. For about a year, my protagonist was called "Hero" throughout my text and I thought I'd never come up with a name I'd like. Then one day a name popped into my head, out of the blue, and it seemed in my mind as if he had always been called by that name. I think letting it happen naturally gives the best result.

7. Onie

Onie New Member

I really love the idea that when one dies, another is reborn; very creative.

As far as the naming dilemma: You could take several names which are appealing to you and combine to create your own. It would add a new dimension to your novel as they would be beings of which readers do not already have preconcieved visual images. I would definately be interested in reading some exerpts of your novel.