1. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

Under the dome

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by SuttonMichael254, Mar 10, 2013.

Been reading it and I love it but I do have a question and it may have been ask before so forgive me if it has but......... Did anybody see the resemblance to the Simpsons movie lol. I'm only halfway through so don't spoil it for me but I thought it was kinda funny. Did anybody else think this though

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Simpsons movie undoubtedly borrowed the concept. The book came out shortly before the Simpson's movie.

As for Under the Tome: One of the worst written, disorganized novels I have read in a very long time.

3. TheRuler

TheRuler New Member

What? The book came out in November 2009 (according to wikipedia) and The Simpsons movie in 2007?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmm. I know I had heard of the novel when the Simpson's Movie came out. Maybe it was advance press releases.

Not that I trust Wikipedia's word on it though...

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yeah, the movie came out about 2 years before the book. King posted excerpts of his earlier drafts on his website to show that he hadn't copied the idea from the Simpsons.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The novel was started back in the 1970s, then called The Cannibals. That's what King has said anyway, and honestly, I can believe him. Apparently he started it when he was still a student at the University of Maine, and couldn't handle the task so he put it away, thinking he just wasn't a mature enough writer yet to take the idea on.

7. TheRuler

TheRuler New Member

Yes, I've heard about him trying to write it in the 70's, then in the 80's and finally doing it so it's published in 2009. I don't either one has plagiarized the other, because the only common thing is there's a dome over the city. Nothing else really. You can't even see it in the King's book

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

That's true. Also, one of them was really really funny. The other, The Simpsons movie, was a depressing waste of a lot of my time.

Stephen King's book is hilarious. Either that or he just don't understand children anymore. How many times must Stephen King have pre-adults using 70s and 80s slang without irony?

9. richardclayton53

richardclayton53 Member

I enjoyed Under the Dome, as i do almost all of Kings books, but yet again i felt it was let down by the ending. I wont explain further as the OP might not have finished it all yet, but it seems to be a weak point of King in finishing a story (Although i still love him!) :)

10. TheRuler

TheRuler New Member

Yes, I also felt like he had been writing it for years and years, and then someone said he would need to finish it in a day...

11. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

Just finished it. I Liked it. Would have liked to see big Jim get a little harsher ending but overall I liked it.