1. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

non-exclusive English Language anthology rights

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Darkhorse, Apr 4, 2013.

What are they exactly?

I am considering submitting a short story to a magazine and "non-exclusive English Language anthology rights to publish the Work for a period of at least thirty-six months. The rights period begins on the day of publication of the Work." is part of their conditions.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Non-exclusive = They don't demand to be the only publisher that has the right to publish the story.

English Language = They want the right to publish the story in English.

Anthology = They want the right to publish the story in an anthology.

Period of at least thirty-six months = They want you to give them these rights for thirty-six months. They have this long to use them (by publishing the story) before they expire.

Are these the only rights they ask for? If they are a magazine I would imagine they would mainly be concerned with serial rights (the right to publish the story in a serial publication), and that the anthology rights would be an additional thing they ask for just in case they feel like putting together an anthology at the end of the year.

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

They ask for other rights as well, but I understood those.

Thanks for your help.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Most of the anthology contracts I've signed included non-exclusive rights, but they also were non-exclusive, after publication of the story in the anthology. In other words, they requested first publication rights, and the work could not appear anywhere else until after they published it. If this is the case, a listed date for publication in the contract, or reversion of rights clause is important because a work could be tied up for years--until they publish the anthology, if ever.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are they paying you for the rights to publish your story?... or do you have to buy a copy of the book?...

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Member

If I do submit my short story for consideration and they accept it, they will pay me to publish my story.