1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Non-Fiction Outlines

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Rei, Sep 4, 2008.

Anyone have any suggestions for non-fiction outlines? I've just finished my book about college and am ready to send it to publishers. I just have two things I need to do: 1 make sure it's all formated correctly, which is easy because I can copy something off a website, and 2 write an outline because that is all the publishers I'm looking at ask for.

Anyone have any ideas on how to summarise 200 pages into 1-2 pages?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

for non-fiction, especially, most publishers will want a 'chapter outline'... that's a very brief bit for each chapter... doesn't have to be in full sentences, just give the gist of what the chapter contains...

that said, most publishers also want other info in what is a fairly standard non-fiction book proposal... restricting yourself to a single publisher is really limiting your book's chances to be picked up, so i don't know why you'd do that... but i'll be glad to send you some tips on book proposals and their contents, if you email me... or have i sent it all to you already?

love and hugs, maia

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I sent it out already. And I'm not intentionally limiting myself to only a few publishers. The thing is, the content is Canadian and because of the type of book it is, it's not the easiest thing to present to Americans in a way that will say "American kids will buy this!" (and I want to be published in Canada anyway). There are also very few Canadian publishers that do youth non-fiction.