Noobie Packets!

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by adamant, Aug 5, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

The question is, what don't I do, lol. I am network administrator. But I do it all, except for extensive programming (because I hate looking at code).

Mostly, I fix computer hardware and software, manage some servers, manage switches and routers, do some IP addressing and networking, run mail, dns, dhcp, www, and domain services and a host of other things that I could sit here and describe but it would probably turn into a long boring book, lol.

Oh and I do site migrations and site builds for network and data infrastructures.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

What's your education background? Is the pay any good?

3. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I finished up an Associates a year ago or so. I got a late start thought.

The pay is decent. It keeps food on the table. It's not so much the pay as it is the opportunity. You can basically get a job ANYWHERE because everyone needs a good it guy. :)

4. adamant

Well ... I was also thinking of something with business/economics, and since money is everywhere too, there are a lot of opportunities in that field as well ... then again, I could be hybrid.

5. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Yeah, you can make good money as an accountant or something like that but I am not a mathmatician so I generally tend to stick with something I understand better, lol.

I'm kind of an ADD type personality so I have to have something that is pretty fast paced and will keep me challenged or I get bored and lose interest.

The opportunities in the IT industries are endless. Breaking into it is the hardest part.

6. adamant

Eh... that sounds like fun. How did you get jobs and all of that? Did work for local people to get some reputation?

I don't really like a whole lot of math, it's just some of the things don't seem that bad... and the pay doesn't either. I just want something that won't bore me and will get me mucho dinero!

7. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

One of my professors recommended me to a friend of his that was looking for someone. I kind of lucked into it.

I'm actually looking into an IT Director position right now. I have a second interview coming up. All things are looking good. That will bring me considerably more greenbacks.

I have a buddy that is making six figures right now to do the same job I am doing, only for a fortune 500 corporation.

8. adamant

What jobs in the computer field would you say pay the most? Also, what should I expect for an entry-level position?

9. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Net Admins pay pretty decent, Server Admins or DBA's, or Programmer.

Entry level depends on your locale and the company you start out with.

In my area, 10.00 -15.00 an hour is about the norm for entry level.

10. adamant

I decided this thread was desperately in need of an update. Check out the first post to see the changes.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why not post the latest version at the end of the thread? Then let me know and I'll lock it to keep it as the last post.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Also adamant, can you add the sticky in the poetry thread to the newbie packet about posting etiquette.

Thanks

Torana
    Supporter/Reviewer

13. adamant

You will find the Rules to the site here: Writing Forums - Forum Rules
    Frequently Asked Questions are answered here: Writing Forums - FAQs

Additionally, look for important links on the right side of the main page of the forum. They are highlighted in a light blue.

Forum Leaders:
    If should need their services: the names' of all Super Moderators appear as a cyan color; our Site Administrator, Daniel, is somewhat of a brick red; and those deemed Reviewers are of a lime green complexion. You'll find the names of those members here: Writing Forums - Show Groups

Equal-Opportunity Reviewing:
    When you post a thread, you have to reformat your paragraphs. Also, before posting in 'The Review Room' section, you need at least 2 credits. This equates to reviewing two works (more people get reviews, less people just coming and going). If you'd like to know why we enforce this rule in-depth, visit the following: Purpose of Reviewing

More information on becoming a helpful reviewer: Posting Etiquette, Basic Critique Guide

Altering Your WritingForums Profile:
    Also, to gain access to altering your profile, go to the very top of any page, and under our little logo of someone writing is a link entitled "UserCP". This will allow you to change your signature (which is featured on every one of your posts), your avatar, as well as many other things like your instant messaging contacts and biography.

Another great way to alter your profile is to donate and gain Supporter status, click here for more information.

Around the Forum:
    On a weekly basis, a few of our moderators hold contests in the realms of stories and poetry. These contests are purely for sport and the love of writing. However, if you happen to be a big game hunter, you're in luck. The site administrator, Daniel, announces a short story contest four times a year that has a prize generally ranging from $25-$50. The reward is given through PayPal (or gift cards). Make sure to keep your eyes open for the next competition.

To help keep things lively, many of our members have created Role-Playing Games (RPGs), in which anyone can participate. Don't worry if you have little or no experience, our friendly community will guide you along and you'll soon become addicted to the intricate stories you help weave.

Additional Information:
    Because most people don't find out about these until later... to the bottom left of every one of your posts is a green light, a balance, and a sign that resembles 'yield'. The first icon just means you're logged on the site. The second is used to give people reputation points (the more posts, the more effective it is -- junior members can't affect anyone). The third reports a post to the admins/moderators. Use the final to prevent problems in the forum.

Continuing with information that may be harder to discover, these are all of the alterations you can perform on your text: code list. These changes include making bold or italic words, color, highlighting, and the infamous...
    spoiler tag.

Helpful Writing Links: In the 'General Writing' section, we have provided resources to help you with the craft we all treasure.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.