1. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Writing a "Weather Apocalyptic" story...need ideas!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DonnyCraft(JS), May 8, 2015.

Heyo! I've been thinking about it for a long time now, and I've decided that I want to write a weather apocalypse story. The main pitch is: "After years of being slave to human population, Mother Nature finally strikes worldwide with one big hurricane, exceeding Category 5."

"Mother Nature" will not be a character or supernatural being or anything. I want this story to be as realistic as possible.

I know that there will be multiple characters, each in different countries. I just need some plot ideas, or external information. I've already researched what causes hurricanes and other information that I need based on weather, so as of right now I'm researching locations and customs.
    Any ideas?

2. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I like the idea of a weather apocalypse but- one big hurricane? Suspension of belief I guess?

also- it's very reminiscent of Day After Tomorrow although that's more of multiple hurricane looking storms that bring forth an ice age.

3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

You could have pollution in the sea causing the deaths of microscopic life-forms and this, in tern, causing a change in the surface tension of the sea. A change in the surface tension would have an impact of the size of the waves, resulting in massive waves developing in the southern ocean (as these waves travel around the world with no land mass to stop them). The waves spread out from there, as well as there being over-sized waved on all coastlines.

I've no idea if there is any actual science to support this, but the reader wouldn't know either.

As for plot ideas, you could have family members separated and trying desperately to find each-other after a tsunami. Sailors trying desperately to prevent their boat sinking after being half filled with water.

4. Sammy King

Sammy King New Member

Perhaps mother nature could "attack" on many levels. So tsunamis across islands, earthquakes in places that haven't before, hurricanes in others, like a series of disasters rather than one big disaster. But not all at once, it happens consecutively..

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm not sure if the "one big hurricane" idea makes sense to me, either. Maybe it could be a series of hurricanes, or something? I just can't realistically see a hurricane reaching the middle of not just one continent, but ALL continents...

kfmiller and Sammy King like this.
  6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

I looove weather apocalypse stories. I'm not sure why. O_O
    I don't like the idea of a bunch of hurricanes. Maybe an ice age? Or pollution finally gets you. Or something happens to the moon (Don't copy "life as we know it" though.)
    DON'T GO FOR THE USUAL PLOTS: aka - trying to find each other, ship sinking, etc. Imagine if something happened to you RIGHT NOW AS YOU'RE READING THIS. What's the one thing that you'd worry about (minus the impending death)? How will your characters survive/die?

Oooh or you can do the whole thing with the saying that a butterflies wing can start a tornado across the world? Things like that!

Man. This thread makes me want to try to revisit my own apocalypse story again. D:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not necessarily. I saw an image of hurricane Sandy (can't seem to find it now) and it covered the entire Atlantic and it's reach stretched from Florida to Maine. There would be issues, like where would it form and how would it change when it got over land and/or colder water? But hey, it's fiction, and global warming is an unknown as far as large storms are concerned.