1. akexodia

akexodia Member

'Not my thing' kind of a feeling??

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by akexodia, Feb 4, 2012.

Ever thought of a very good story plot (plot at depth...with almost everything defined, from characters to skeletal storyline) with a great potential to keep the readers hooked. And whtn when ye sat down to write it down, you realised that you wouldnt be able to write it?

Recently, I thought of this sci-fi-ish, mystery plot at depth. But then, when i started to prepare the first draft, i began to believe that this story would suck if I wrote it. I basically am a mystery/suspense guy. Writing sci-fi is not really my thing. But then my conscience would kill me if i let such a plot go down the drain. Any suggestions?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Yes. Write it. Calmly tell that doubting corner of your mind to shut up.

Writing in a different genre isn't easy - you may find that the plot line doesn't flow as easily as you expected, because the kinds of characters and the details you include are different from what you are used to. But it is a great way to grow as a writer. And you'll have some fun in the process.

Now, go. Write. No more excuses.

And best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. sqzee

sqzee New Member

So do it! It seems like you've thought everything through. How are you going to grow and learn if you don't try new things? If its not your thing then make it your thing.

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I've come across this sort of stuff before. The one plot that comes to mind is one that needs visuals, so I'm going to write it as a screenplay instead of a novel. It means I don't need to worry about having fancy prose, I just have to describe the scenes exactly as I visualise them, which I'm more than capable of doing.

If you realise you can't write something as a novel, don't sweat it. Other ideas will come along, and they'll be as good if not better. If you really can't let the idea go (like I can't with mine), it's even simpler: find the right medium to express the idea. Then express it.

1 person likes this.
  5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I think that these kinds of stories are most worthy of our efforts to write them. If you like the story, and feel you can stick with it for a while, definitely give it a go.
    Good luck!

6. IrishLantern

IrishLantern New Member

Ignore the part of your mind telling you not to do it, thats just you trying to get out of doing it. If you spent so much time thinking about how it will work it means it's alive somewhere in your head. You just need to put yourself in the world.

7. akexodia

akexodia Member

Merci. Gracias, people for ye words. I guess i'll give it another shot. Do a lil research again.

8. akexodia

akexodia Member

Reminds me of my mother. :p

9. juniorfletcher

juniorfletcher New Member

same thing
    i'm dealing with atm....my plot is about a kidnapping of a child and not having any kids i'm struggling to think like a parent. The issues my MC has to deal with i.e. amber alert, the sense of loss at home etc. are issues i don't think about.....i'm struggling with it and my daily word count isn't always what i'd like but i keep pushing because i want to grow. it's my 2nd book and a much bigger project. keep pushing yourself. the growth will be worth it.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you could also jot it all down as notes, to use at some future time... and meanwhile, start reading the best sci-fi, to get a better feel for the genre... then, when you come back to your notes, it should start to flow more easily...

11. Domino

Domino Active Member

Is there no way you can incorporate the mystery aspect of the plot and the characters into a non-sci-fi story? (Non-sci-fi?! lol, that's a word.)
    If not and the sci-fi part is integral to the mystery part, try not to dwell too much on the fact you're writing sci-fi. Just write as you normally would, only with different rules for your new version of reality, and you'll make it all the more believable. Good luck with it.

12. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I've had this feeling, just recently actually. I came up with this interesting plot but it worked out to be not my kind of story. It was more dark and depressing than the usual stuff I write and I couldn't bring myself to write it. When I tried everything came out really boring and I decided that if even I was bored by it what would the reader be? Maybe there would be people interested in reading that kind of stuff, but It's not what I want to write and how will I be able to finish it if I keep having all these doubts? plus there was not enough plot to cover a full lenght novel i think, so for now I have abandoned it.

13. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Um,

I'll agree with the others but add one thing. You've not only come up with the plot, you've also described it as great. It may be out of your comfort zone, but obviously a part of you wants to write it anyway.A part of you thinks it'd be good. So go do it.

Cheers, Greg.