Tags:
  1. Edan

Edan New Member

An Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Edan, Jun 15, 2014.

My name is Edan, as you can see, and I'm a new writer.

I've always had a lot of ideas for stories, and I've wanted to get them out in several ways. I've considered movies and comics, though ultimately I hope to get a career as a game designer, expressing my ideas through video games if I'm lucky enough. However, as of late, I've found myself writing. I've been using 4chan lately, and I asked the people of the /u/ board (yuri, for those unfamiliar) if they would like to see a fanfic based on a specific premise. They said yes, I wrote it, and not only did I find myself really enjoying the process of writing, they really liked what I wrote. I wanted to write more, but I don't actually like writing fanfiction all that much. So, I decided I wanted to write a book.

At around the same time, I had brought up a question to my friends: "What weapons would you use in a zombie apocalypse?" As I got answers from them, we started to get into scenarios where me and my three closest friends are a survivor group; what we would do to stay alive, and how we would fight. These conversations interested me enough that I started formulating ideas for a book wherein semi-fictionalized versions of my friends and I are survivors in the zombie apocalypse.

However, the zombie scenario is one that has, and pardon the pun here, been done to death. So I started to wonder what I could do differently.

That's where this forum comes in.

I was hoping I could use this website as a resource for writing and perhaps even publishing the book I am currently working on. Having not written much in general, I know I'm going to need some guidelines if I want to craft as best a story as possible. If anybody knows any particularly good threads for my particular needs, please point them out to me; help with writing gunfights, establishing characters, writing realism, writing socio-political commentary, and especially guidance on tackling the zombie genre.

I look forward to working with you all.