1. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

Character profile suggestions?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mathieu, Mar 18, 2013.

Here is my personal example:

Name: Rohtua T. Dog (Alias: Tommy Atkins)
    Nationality: British Citizen
    Sex: Male
    Date of birth: 01-01-2001
    Place of birth: Accra, Ghana
    Agency/Department: Joint Intelligence Committee
    Marital status: Single
    Number of children: 0

(Since I'm German, it is very hard for me to make it as formal and correctly as possible. The occupation is fictional of course, but I still need help with British Arms and their formal ways to identify themselves. This ID-card must be fictional as well since the story is somewhat of the sci-fi and supernatural genre.)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Suggestion: Save character profiles for Role Playing Games and for driver's licenses, not for writing. Once you start thinking of a character as a collection of attributes and statistics, your characters lose dimension.

3. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

Yeah, I wrote a character profile today, it went:
    Langley: Brave, Cocky, Inquisitive, Friendly.

Think about whether those details really tell you anything about a character.
    I have a friend who does massive character profiles that include star signs, blood types and all sorts of stuff.
    She's written more profile than story.

4. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I mean if you really like structure, I would suggest making a timeline for the life of your character. (Event A) happened at age 5. (Event B) happened at age 12. (Event C) happened at age 25.. and so on...

These experiences alone will help you understand your character more deeply. Not only that, it would give you a basis for a plotline.

5. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Even if you decide to go down this route, your example is far from logical:
    A government ID card in your setting would likely be restricted to initials and surname, staff number, date of birth, perhaps height, and a photograph. Don't forget, it's an ID card, not a CV for a job interview.

6. writing_fandom_nerd

writing_fandom_nerd New Member

You say this a lot....

Sometimes, profiles help people. That might be true for you, but not others. They help me remember what I need to remember, and I put them on my laptop, so that I can edit easily, and neatly. It's more of a character info sheet. My brain doesn't work the way normal people's brains do, and I forget everything. This helps me remember what I need to know about my characters.

7. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Profiles are fun to make, after you've created you character. Doing it before limits your character design to a rigid structure of ABCD and your characters would have no other defining qualities other than your parameters

8. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

Let me clarify that I am NOT writing profiles in my stories! This is just part of my own personal overview, people. Besides, the story I write is based on an RPG I plan!

9. Mathieu

Mathieu New Member

@SwampGod;

There is no duplication. "Sex" is your biological term, "Gender" the social term.
    And yes, I start them young. There is a huge meaning behind it.
    Thank you for the other suggestions, this will help me a lot.

10. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

considering what this is for, it works, but if it was for any other genre, it would be a little over the top, generally i never mention dates (with maybe the exception of a flashback or something of the kind) but age is something i do mention... i will be honest, 12 does seem a little young, but thats my opinion, and im sure you have reasons for choosing that age and also the date