1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Research' started by cutecat22, Nov 8, 2014.

Hi guys!

Bit of a question regarding security systems.

Could you conceivably have a security system of multiple cameras, mag locks on doors and buzzer entry systems that could go down if the electricity was shut off but have only one main camera with a battery backup?

Situation is in a building where only the main entrance is on a mag-lock which (I'm assuming) when the power goes down the mag lock disengages to allow easy exit in the event of a fire/emergency.

But would it be possible that only one camera - lets say the one by the main entrance - also has a stand-alone battery backup.

I could say that the system was being renewed section by section which is why only one camera is on a battery backup??

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't know if it's real, but it feels real enough to me that I wouldn't question it as a reader.

cutecat22 likes this.
  3. B93

B93 Active Member

There may be doors that work the way you describe, but I am familiar with some that would stay locked from entry if it had no power, while permitting people to exit via the usual "panic bar."

The camera backup sounds ok to me, but then I'm not a security expert.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

There are networkable security cameras with dedicated battery backup (and without), so your scenario sounds OK to me.

Speaking of security cameras, if you have one that connects to the Web (including video baby monitors) be sure to change the default password: http://insecam.com/

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. cutecat22

Thanks guys. As far as I'm aware, none of the cameras are connected to the web as the building is used for the public and children.

6. cutecat22

Thanks @B93

The panic bar would be on designated fire exits and back/basement doors to stop people getting in but still allowing emergency exit but I've never seen them on a main entrance door.

7. Johncrawfordz

Johncrawfordz Member

I believe your scenario willnot be so applicable (unless its poor design).

Most current designs involve electrical interface with UPS (uninterruptible power supply) systems for CCTV cameras. So it won't just be one camera with main backup battery. All cameras and the relevant monitoring equipment will remain operational. The UPS systems is designed based on the setup and how long you want it to be (The common should be 1 hour duration of operation).

Doors would probably not be under UPS as per emergency scenarios as you mentioned. (I don't have enough experience yet though in that area so take my words here with a grain of salt)

What I would suggest is someone tampering with the electrical inputs at the main breakers to force a safety shutoff. Then the power will be turned on section by section as it is performed manually.

My two cents

Regards
    John crawfordz

8. cutecat22

As far as the power outage, this is caused by a storm that fells a tree next to the building. When it falls, it takes out the power. The story has to have a storm at this point as it intertwines with what happens with one of the characters beforehand, and a different one afterwards so that can't be changed. I didn't want lightning to strike the building as that would result (most probably) in a fire and I can't have a fire in this building.

I need the power to be knocked out for a minimum of ten minutes until a backup generator kicks in. Because the building is working off a generator, it's obviously old and is still running what you might call an outdated security system. The mag locks were an added extra that were put in as that's all the owners of the business could afford to do at the time. Now they have started to update the whole system but are doing it section by section so they don't have to close down during the week.

9. Johncrawfordz

Johncrawfordz Member

Well on the power side, a backup generator is plausible but my question is how big is this place? I would assume one big generator as its common for the entire building to have one supply source. If its big enough though then you can have multiple generators like you need. If that is the case, maybe they can be separated buildings and then be renovated into a single main complex at a later time.

Regards,
    John Crawfordz

10. stevesh

I've never seen or heard of a backup generator that took ten minutes to start up, though. Ten seconds is more likely, unless you make the backup generator manual-start and it takes the person who has to start it ten minutes to get there.

Lightning strikes don't always start fires.

11. cutecat22

The building is a two story, old building with at least thirty rooms set over two floors plus main kitchen, four sets of toilets and some offices.

I may have to private message you more info as it would give away a major plot point to put it on here. Ten seconds is actually a long time ... What needs to happen, could potentially happen in ten seconds.

12. stevesh

Go ahead with the PM. None of my current WIP plots include any sort of building power failures, so ...

I'm no expert, but I might be able to suggest something.

cutecat22 likes this.
  13. cutecat22

thanks @stevesh have pm'd you

14. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

Here

15. cutecat22

Thanks. The main doors are fail safe and remain unlocked during a power outage to ensure emergency services can access the building if needed. Obviously, other doors would be fail secure with push bars for emergency exiting

16. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

A good opportunity for questions to be asked about who made those decisions and for which doors .. :write:

17. cutecat22

I think it would be standard practice for a main entrance mag lock to be fail safe because if there's a fire in the building which stops anyone in there from releasing the mag lock, how else would the fire department get in? Apart from the obvious smash a window and then smash in the door to allow for paramedics etc to get in and take bodies/people out.

18. stevesh

It may seem counter-intuitive, but all the code descriptions I can find require unfettered egress (exit) upon the activation of a fire alarm, but none address unlocking the doors to provide entry. I guess the assumption is that the firefighters will use those big axes to find their way in.

Also, you're talking about a power failure and not a fire in your story, which wouldn't ordinarily be considered an emergency requiring the sending of first responders.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    cutecat22 likes this.
  19. cutecat22

Very true but would the system be able to tell the difference between a power outage because of an electrical fault or a power outage because of a fire?

As yet, we are still dealing with a system that's being upgraded bit by bit, although that's set to change when I go back to the beginning of this section and re-edit after a bit more research.