1. Justin Zaza

Justin Zaza New Member

Looking for publicity advice

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Justin Zaza, Nov 2, 2011.

I have gone the self-publishing route with my book "Why Can't I be Normal?" and have sold a few hundred copies at high schools and to people I meet on the street. I have had NO luck online and was wondering if anyone has advice on good web sites to post my short stories, legitimate contests that are preferably free, etc.

I don't want much, just to get more readers. Money isn't my aim right now.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Consider publishing it as an electronic book. Some self-published writers do quite well selling through Kindle, Nook, Smashwords, etc.

Have you tried to get your book read/reviewed by popular/respected blogs? That can be somewhat of a struggle at times, but not impossible.

Just a few thoughts.

Terry

3. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

There are several books out there that have great ideas. The brand called You (I think that's what it's called) is good and there is Guerrilla Marketing for Writers.

Of course if your book isn't e-published yet that would be the first big step to self-promotion, followed immediately by getting a bunch of people (friends, family) to review your book on Amazon and other similar sites. Make sure they gush with praise in their comments on the reviews.

Good luck with your book.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Is it a fiction or non-fiction book?

And I wouldn't look at short stories as just being about "publicity". If you want to write and publish short stories, then the best place to start out is www.duotrope.com, which has the best directory of fiction markets on the web.