1. BrummieJay

BrummieJay New Member

novel or screenplay??

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by BrummieJay, Jan 13, 2011.

hi, i am currently in two minds wether to turn my idea into a screenplay or a book. in my opinion it works well as either but as i have never written a script or a book in my life, i really am lost, any help appreciated :) and which do you think is easier to complete

2. Belgoran

Belgoran New Member

Ultimately depends on what you'd like to do with it :).

Film / publishing are two very different industries, and the question is, do you want to fight to get your movie made, or fight to get your book published?

If you've read a lot of novels and are more comfortable with the format, why not get the story down on paper and think about adapting it after?

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I was going to suggest the same - you can always do both with the same story.

4. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Which are you better at?

If you have an outstanding, polished A, then you can sell it much more easily and take that interest and get a co/ghost-writer to help you turn it into a B.

If you start with a mediocre B, then you won't even get your foot in the door.

-Frank

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

frank's right...

and if you can't do either well enough for it to be marketable, then you'll need to work on your writing skills till you can...

neither one is easy... and whichever you choose, it will take a very long time and lots of study, hard work and perseverance to get good enough at it to be able to turn out something good enough to submit... so you have to decide which one you want to start with most...