1. Clawing insanity

Clawing insanity New Member

Brainstorming idea for a story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Clawing insanity, Aug 6, 2011.

I am brainstorming ideas for a new book plot and would like your opinion on the structure of it and if it's not a cleche plot.
    Time: Space tech / magic era
    Place: Jimson (named after the plants that causes delerium/insanity when ingested)
    Geography: decaying land with remainents of poisonous gas previously used when a major war scorched the land. This gas has been known to cause delerium and insanity making their inhabinants rather unstable but unable migrate (without a guide(I'll explain later what they are)) due to their physiological diseases. The terrain is mostly burnt with pools of the gas (that liquified). Has animals however they were also affected by the gas making them very aggressive and often confused, which is why cannibalism Is a normal sight in this place.
    Inhabitants: variety of races live their but the man ones are; necromancers, guides(may changes name, they are humans with gas masks that had created a hierarchy since the gas will not penetrate their air filters, this often leads the natives to be mistreated or taken advantage of). The necromancers main colony I here because of their infatuation with death , insanity, and the dark arts. They have a higher tolerance to the gas more than others however they still slowly lose their minds. Although they slowly lose their minds, they utilize this handicap as a crutch to increase the blood lust and faith to their god (a god that is also insane don't know details yet)
    Main characters: a 24 old necromancer who's mind is starting to dwindle away but meets a counter part to help keep his sanity
    Bloodnymph: a humanoid creature that's life is completely dependent on an ample amount of blood (which is why their population is almost null in the continent). She meets the necromancer whom has an affinity for blood meaning he creates an unlimited supply of blood in which he utilizes for rituals and is also used as a walking blood source for the nymph. (rest of details in progress)
    Plot: (simplified) starts with the necromancer trying to find a cure for his dwindling mental capacity rather than become a savage. He eventually meets the nymph who , by herself, taken residence at a guide slave farm (she is able to live by draining the blood of all the slaves declared incapable of performing take deemed by the guides). When they meet they start to form a bond and begin to kill guides and befriending criminal syndicates to find a way out of jimson.
    I know it was somewhat wordy and a little over the place but that's why it's called a brainstorm I just need help to orginize my thoughts into a viable story. Thankyou for reading and any help is appreciated.

2. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Up front, I'd advise you to include a space between paragraphs as it can get hard to read a lot of text on the screen in one sitting. Having a space between paragraphs helps us find our place when we need to give our eyes a break.

This doesn't tell me much. "Space Tech" could be a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away. A "magic" era could be in the Dune future.

Is this a planet, island, country? Is it another dimension. Does it take place on Earth, or an alternate Earth, or is it like Middle Earth where it's basically Europe with elves and dwarves?

I can tell you straight out that none of this actually makes me interested in reading a book. The story itself might intrigue me but it really has to grab my attention in the opening paragraphs.

If a story, and yes even published stories do this, gives me too much info in the opening pages I'll get bored waiting for action. And if it moves to fast I'll wonder what the heck is going on.

You'll have plenty of time in the story to introduce me to your world and to the ins and outs of it. Focus on your plot.

The plot piques interest somewhat. But I would much rather actually read a sampling of the story as opposed to hearing about it.

The danger of posting an idea like this is one of time and effort. A year from now, someone reading this plot might develop their own idea and without knowing it, derive that idea from what you've given them. And before you know it, blam, you're telling friends who you came up with the idea and someone else just made millions off it.

So, make sure you've done reviewed other people's work in the writing sections and when you have a reasonable excerpt that's ready to be posted, feel free to show us what you've got.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are going to be a writer, you must learn to do your own story development. Trust yourself to make the right choices. Own the story, and don't lean on others for ideas.

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Firstly use spaces between the lines.

Secondly, where is Jimson? and what. Is the terrain just burnt? Could do with a better description.

While I slightly agree with Cogito that you should come up with your own ideas its fine to bounce them off other writers.

5. Clawing insanity

Clawing insanity New Member

If I posst chapter one on here could you critique it?

6. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Certainly :) .

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

By "here", you mean on the site, correct? Because you won't be able to post it "here", meaning in this thread.

I strongly suggest posting in New Member Introductions and learning how the site operates before you even consider posting excerpts.