Novel vs Short Story

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Radix, Apr 13, 2011.

1. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

If there was only a report function... you know, where mods could decide if something is so offensive as to be seen as being against the rules (which, as pointed out, being personally offensive isn't at all in mammamaia's typical posting nature). I saw it as a creative and clever way to basically say don't think you know it all, handing down absolutes, when they're actually easily countered and a bit silly.

I didn't find it particularly offensive, unless someone was reading it ready to be offended or feeling as if they had to personally defend someone. Let's be honest, had someone not as liked said something silly that was stated as fact, and mammamaia responded in the same way, I'm pretty sure nobody would care.

And part of the problem isn't what was said, I don't believe, but that it quickly turns into a discussion on the 'tone' of the post and what someone 'really' meant and how (in a Shirley Temple voice) it's just not nice how people are questioning someone's advice, because opinions are never wrong, right?

So, I suppose I'll defend the people that need defending, whether I like them or not, and I wouldn't have found Mammamaia's comments insulting if said in response to someone I didn't like, or to myself, so why should I defend someone just because I like them personally? It didn't come across as a personal attack to me, and if it did, I would have USED THE REPORT FUNCTION instead of turning it into a public guilt trip and questioning the questioner's character.

2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Haha :D Touche. I do defend people whether I like them or not, but thanks for pointing that out. I said I agreed with most of what you said. I also am familiar with the report function. I thought Mallory phrased her question very diplomatically and kindly and there was no guilt trip involved at all in her post that I could see. She was asking a question in a thoughtful and respectful way. I was responding to you, and was not so diplomatic. I did not intend to guilt trip anyone, so I'll apologize for that if it came across that way, but I stand by what I said.

1 person likes this.
  3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Haha, all right. Everyone has posted some good points here. I've been overly busy with work and apologize for not confronting this thread sooner and letting this debate go on. So let me explain myself and hopefully get this thread back to its original purpose.

Yes, I agree. I jumped the gun. Giving out an absolute tone was not what I intended to do whatsoever. This is a very prolific forum and I for one should not express things in one determined stance. Especially with the fact that I am a novice as many others are here as well.

But as a few of the members here who have posted, I do believe my advice was sound - take out the absolute tone. I was deliberately trying to think back to my elementary years where things were a bit more simpified since Radix himself professed he wasn't a very experienced writer. Also, I was referring to short stories that ranged in the one to five thousand word range, not those that accumulate towards twenty-thousand where writers can find more freedom to insert more.

This is just my own opinion though, without the absolute tone.

And one thing I think could do with a good bit of thought is to be respectful. Instead of saying someone's advice isn't sound, give points why. That was the purpose of this thread in all respects.

2 people like this.