1. Keith Trimm

Keith Trimm Banned

Is a plot needed?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Keith Trimm, Jan 16, 2013.

The last book I wrote, Morinda's Desire: A Vampire Story had no plot to start. It began as a simple scene that grew and grew and I let the story evolve as it went along. In the end, I put in a plot to satisfy those who like neat tidy endings, but I think the story itself was fine as it was. Not every story has a beginning, conflict, resolution and end. Some stories are interesting just because of who's in it and how they interact.

Cut the red wire or the blue wire? Who gives a crap? I want to know about the person cutting the wire.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

There is a current discussion on this exact topic. There has to be *some* plot, even if it's thin. The degree to which plot is the focus of the story is the subject of much disagreement, and opinions vary significantly. Some writers eschew plot, preferring to keep what actually happens to a minimum, while focusing on the characters' development and internal struggles and ruminations. Others require something very action filled, making the reader turn the page constantly to find out what happens next. For more discussion, look for the other current thread, called To What Extent Must a Plot be Present.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Depends on what else you have. You don't always need meat to make a meal.