Tags:
  1. Jessicalove08

Jessicalove08 New Member

Novice Novelist

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jessicalove08, Aug 7, 2008.

Hello, my pen name is Jessica and that's all you need to know about my 'identity'. I'm a writer. I wrote a novel titled Amanda's Lament. I'm not sure if I should post it or not. I'm thinking of posting a few things. But I'm not sure if this is the right place for them. I'm not really that interesting. I have to admit that some of my stuff is sad. The novels I'm working on are 'The Story of How I Died' and 'Amanda's Lament.

The premise of Amanda's Lament is that a young girl Amanda falls for the new student, but is confused about it. She doesn't want her friends to know this about her, cause to her it's taboo. She tells herself that she can't be in love and that this isn't true. She doesn't know what to do, follow her heart or follow logic and ignore her heart. She also torned by the fact that the new student is a girl named Mia.

The Story of How I Died is different than Amanda's Lament. The Story of How I Died follows a young woman named Emily who doesn't seem to care about others as much as she cares about her job. She doesn't seem to notice or even bother that her relationships are going down the drain. She meets up with another girl named Anna who is the opposite of everything Emily is. At first the two don't get along, but they slowly become friends and Emily realizes she's something is missing from her life and that is a friend.

My life is somewhat similiar to these two girls. But anyway, I'd like to talk about me. Here's the thing my dislikes are hip-hop, gansta rap, Qwen Sefani, The Jonas Brothers and anyone who thinks they can make a good spoof (I'm talking to Date Movie/Disaster Movie directors). My likes are punk rock, indie rock and all sorts of music (except hip hop), to watch movies, reading, writing, playing with lego and watching TV. My favorite actress are Morena Baccarin, Allison Scagliotti, Amy Jo Johnson and Anne Hathaway. Anyway, that's enough about me for a while, so peace out.

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome to the forums Jessica.

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jessica, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I would like to begin by commending you on the second review you posted upon joining. It was clear and concise, and sufficiently specific to tell the writer what he might want to focus on to improve the writing. I only wish all new joiners took the reviewing requirements as seriously and put as much thought into it.

Generally speaking, posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Anthony James Barnett

Anthony James Barnett New Member

A belated welcome aboard.

Anthony

5. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]