1. drayelya

drayelya Member

NPH (Needing Plot Help)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by drayelya, May 1, 2011.

OK so here is what I've got so far. I know that my main character (The one the story mainly follows) is the main villain of the tale. He is out to destroy the world because of a past that wont seem to leave him alone and the he believes that no one should have what he cannot, Love. The problem is he isn't in a position to destroy the world because he is almost powerless after his "Curse" became active some years ago. That is when he meets a girl with a special ability that permanently increases the power of others by thousands of times more than what it is currently. So as my main character tries to get into contact with her he is intercepted by a group of people trying to keep the girl safe and away from anyone trying to make use of her ability.

This is about where I get stuck, I'm not quite sure how to follow my main character after this point because he is by himself. Later on he does meet a group of people trying to catch the girl so they can rule the world but he opposes them, because he wants to destroy the world. So in the mean time should I have him doing things like destroying power plants, research facilities or things considered relevant to the world's continued survival or something?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Perhaps as he is trying to get to the heavily protected girl, he tries to distract those guarding her by creating emergencies they have to deal with.

3. drayelya

drayelya Member

So cause some chaos to the side first? What could be a big enough chaos, in your opinion, to attract the attention of a secret organization?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I cannot answer that. It is your story. You know your world and your secret organization as no one else does.

5. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

So, just wondering.... You have a villain opposing a group of villains, but they're still all villains?

Should your villain eventually, although dark and brooding, be capable of moving past his issues while in the process of trying to capture this girl? It could be a beauty and the beast kind of moment...

Just wondering.

Oh, yes, and to answer your question, as a villain he might be interested in getting some personal revenge issues out of the way before tackling an organization. If he begins destroying certain things, it should be connected somehow to the personal issues. Although I agree that eventually, once he knows of the organization's intentions, he could begin destroying things intentionally in order to distract them.

6. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

I find it helpful to skip a few steps ahead when I get stuck. Brainstorm as many possible future scenes and plot points as you can without worrying about making them logically consistent with the material you already have, then play around with stringing them together. Plowing forward in the hope that the story will just happen tends to perpetuate ideas that have already gone stale.

7. drayelya

drayelya Member

OK I guess I should have explained that a little better then huh? There are technically two groups. The first group (the one keeping the girl safe from anyone trying to make use of her ability) is my Hero group more or less. Their kind of like world defenders in a sense. They are called "The Empyreals". Where as the second group my MC is supposed to meet later on are the villains. Their group is called "Fate". Unlike the Empyreals who want to keep the world safe from harm Fate wants to awaken a powerful demon to throw the world into a state of chaos. They plan to then step up and defeat the demon (making it look convincing of course) so that the world will turn to them as saviors and follow them as the new world order.

As for my MC, he is an alien so to speak. He isn't from the world this story is taking place on, so he isn't anywhere near the people or place his 'issues' occurred. Could I adjust his behavior to that of an angry child who breaks toys when they get angry because they can't actually do anything about whatever happened to them?

8. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Interesting, the main character is the villain? Does the main character win in the end? Most villains use the good guys weakness against them. They will do things like capture relatives or friends to black mail the good guy. Some villains use strategy where the good guy would have to sacrifice someone or something good for the better good. Some villains are con artists who study their victims habits and use them against them.

Not sure if this is helping but you could some how con the girl to come out on her own.

9. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Okay, first off, you should flesh out the villain. The jealousy thing does help, but there should be more to him. As for the girl... that sounds like a really weird fetch quest in an RPG, no offense. Get the girl, you get POWER! Also, if heroes are guarding her, shouldn't they be empowered? Speaking of which, perhaps those heroes should be evil too. Turn things on the reader's head, make them really question the standard fantasy archetype. Maybe these fantasy heroes are actually abusive and are far too prideful. I say all this because I think the reason you may be hitting that is you've gotten to where you want to go, but you didn't really plan beyond that. Adding in details like the ones above can sprout plot ideas for later scenes.

10. wicked_poppies

wicked_poppies New Member

Ok, so I still have a few questions….. So he has issues with love, and therefore wants to destroy the world…. But his reasons that he has issues occurred on another planet….. So my first question is why is he trying to destroy earth, when the reason for his issues happened elsewhere? Also, I’m not sure that someone breaking his heart or whatever is a realistic enough motivation to want to destroy a planet. Also, you said he wants to destroy the world, but you said the people he eventually teams up with just want to take over the world……So dose he change his mind? Also, is this girl neutral, and she just helps whoever has her in their possession, or is she good naturally? If she’s good, even if you’re bad guy gets her, why would she help him? Also, if I understand correctly, your main guy is an alien with magic powers, but someone took them from him….. So how would this girl help him if all she can do is amplify existing powers? What powers did he have, and who took them, how did they take them, and why? What happened to make him so bitter, and why does he think destroying the world will help?

11. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I had an issue with the love hate thing too. Did someone human break his heart and thus he hates all humans? Does this mean he could change his mind if he finds another love? Is this where the girl comes in? She gets captured by him and she changes his heart. Personally I never believed in the "If I love him enough he will change." stuff.

12. drayelya

drayelya Member

OK, so I've still got questions to be answered then. It looks like I have work to do then. I guess I'll work on them and then post the answers once I get it all done with...