Oasis Productions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Oasis Writer, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Ask the GM.

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

There are two very effective ways to splice stories with other players. One is to ask the Gamemaster, like Darkthought said, and the other is to communicate with the player you want to join up with. Both, in perspective, should happen to make an effective story that doesn't have plot holes, or just 'magically happens.'

Communication. :)

3. Milady

Milady Active Member

In other words, you're given an ultimatum, and you work something up out of necessity. Happened to me. Worked pretty good, I thought...

But, yes, try to keep in touch with the GM and with any other writers you want to work with. And make sure whatever sort of situation you have is plausible within your given universe.

4. Oasis Writer

I'm gonna work on an FAQ that I have been asked. :)

5. Maxie Boi

Maxie Boi New Member

Wouldn't that be a AQ since the questions have only been asked once and not Frequently? =D

Anywho, how do you write a decent length post when all you have to work off of is a person's question and you have already described the scenery? It would get redundant to do so again, as well as write about a common twitch over and over right?

6. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

Man, I have one question to you, how do I get people interested, excited and joining up? I mean your a pretty big name on the site already so just slapping you name on any old RP will at least raise a few eyebrows, and since you put thought and effort into it that gets them to stay, but for me, long time reader first time active on this site, my RP is dying out and I care about it, definitely, if it would get off the ground I'd be more active than necessary, but I can't seem to get anyone interested, I thought maybe with stealth contact ending I might catch a few of them, but nothing, any suggestions about how to advertise my RP properly, get people curious, interested, excited, and (hopefully) joining?

7. Oasis Writer

I get asked the same question several times, surprisingly :) That question, I get a lot too.

A lot of the time, if the person before you doesn't give you much to work with, it often means the story is going to start running into a lot of one liner responses. The best way to counter this is to progress the story beyond the question. Instead of re-describing the scenery, just progress the storyline. Talk with the person, via MSN, Yahoo, AIM, chat, VM, or PM and have a back-and-forth between you two, so you can get more of the story-line's dialogue written. If you know where the story is going, write the next part. If you don't, talk with the gamemaster.

8. Oasis Writer

A lot of the time, many members will be attracted to a few different things. Some members will join anything with a certain name on the thread. That comes down to the very active, or popular names. Often enough, in Raven's RPG's, people that aren't roleplayers will spur over to join, because of prior RPG's, and their friendships. Sometimes, members will join just because it's a new RPG. Most of the time, they join because of the genre, the plot, storyline, characters needed, and who is running the RPG.

The best way to really get your RPG running is to be active in other people's games. Since you are new, and a long time reader, not many people will know how you write. They won't know what to expect, and a lot of people, including myself, are timid to join if they don't know if the story will last. It becomes difficult to want to put so much work into something, and not know if it will put out in the end.

It's not necessarily the best thing to say, but it happens a lot.

If you go out, and get people noticing who you are, and how you do things, often enough, people will start to see who you are as a writer, and how well you can keep storyline going.

I would recommend that you start the RPG. Get the ones that have joined rolling, so they don't feel like the story will never get going, and lose interest. Since you said you needed a set amount of people, I would recommend that you either avoid using those characters until later notice. Since in the beginning of the game, not all has to be said, you can get away with avoiding them. As people start to see the RPG grow, they may become interested, though I still recommend you go make some good friends around the forum, and maybe even send out a few PM's to some of the active roleplayers around the site. Ask them what it would take to make a good story, and make people join more. Since this is just one person's thoughts, much of the time, others may be able to lead you to more reasons why it may or may not of worked.

Activity is key, so be active. Have fun, and if the game doesn't kick up soon, that you can always restart the game at a later time. :)

9. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

This seems the best place to ask my questions.

I am new here and yesterday started looking at the RPG forum more closely. I have found an RPG I want to join but have some general questions first since I have never done this type of RPG before. The ones I have done before are like Dungeons and Dragons. The ones here seem similar but not the same.

Is the best way to ask to join one to simply go to the discussion thread for that RPG and ask if I can join and wait for the GM to reply?

What if I can't get on every day and write something, is that OK or does it depend on the GM?

I have more questions but they may be better asked of a GM once I join an RPG.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

First off this thread is for Oasis productions which are part of Oasis's game.

You can join any RPG that is advertising new players. if a game has started it may still take new players. you will have to contact the GM via PM or in the discussion thread for that game.

If a game is fast paced like the Cyberpunk games then you will need to post daily because the game is fast paced and your character will not be able to keep up otherwise which could lead to your character’s death. in other games you may not need to post daily but will need to keep the GM aware of that fact. In a fast paced game you'd certainly need to inform the GM if your unable to post for a day or so.

All games are very different and much of the time it's the GMS discretion. the GM is usually the person that has created the game although it can be a Mod. well Me and Oasis Writer.

Any question can be directed at either of us we'll be only too happy to help. ;)

11. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

Thank you for answering my questions! I'll go to the RPG's discussion forum and see if I can be included.