1. Eric Bickernicks

Eric Bickernicks New Member

Obligatory introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eric Bickernicks, Jun 19, 2016.

Was hanging out a kboards.com for a while and just got tired of all the pleading for emotional support and just general sheep-like behavior. Hopefully I can graze with you guys for a while. ;-)

I'm basically a failed filmmaker who sank $35,000 and 3 years of his life into my big fat indie project back in 2000 and had it sink into obscurity. Still got plenty of ideas, now I like the idea of failing after only 6 months of effort with a novel. :)

I'm finding some interesting things about novel writing vs screenplay writing. Time seems to go slower on the written page of a novel where a screenplay is constantly condensing time. I DO like how I can cast wonderful actors in my mind who are perfect for every part in my novel. Their acting is always flawless, with a screenplay it's a crap shoot.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well it is true that it gives you all the autonomy and your actors aren't crap. Road blocks do happen, but at least you don't have to rely on anyone else.

Welcome to the club of keyboard abusers.
    Good luck and C-ya around.
    bang-head-on-keyboard.gif~c200.gif

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Eric and welcome to WF! I hope you will stick around. :)

Good to hear your creativity didn't disappear. You win some, you lose some, I guess that's life. You will never know if you don't try. :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Ohh we`ve got a filmmaker now. I love how we have people with all sorts of experiences. Welcome to the forum, might be interesting to see more of you're observations about screenplay writing vs novel format later. Hope to see you around, and don`t give up keep creating and something will stick at some point. Or at least that`s the hope most of us live on.

5. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I can already tell you've got plenty of creativity and some experience to bring to the table. That'll fit in well here. :) Have fun and read the lovely New Member Guide!

GuardianWynn likes this.
  6. Eric Bickernicks

Eric Bickernicks New Member

Ohh we`ve got a filmmaker now. I love how we have people with all sorts of experiences. Welcome to the forum, might be interesting to see more of you're observations about screenplay writing vs novel format later. Hope to see you around, and don`t give up keep creating and something will stick at some point. Or at least that`s the hope most of us live on.
    I just finished my first novel - using screen writing techniques. My whole thing is PACING PACING PACING. A screenplay should be no more than 120 pages. I'm getting flack from my early readers who complain that I didn't give a back story to each and every character.

Who the hell does that in a movie?

My argument is giving backstory to characters that aren't important will SLOW THE STORY DOWN. In a film, you tent to create just enough world to convince the viewers it looks real. Sets are basically cardboard sheets painted to look like a castle. It seems tons of writers 'build the world first', then try to come up with a story that happens inside of it. I do the story first, and build enough world around it to give the illusion that it's real.