Obsessed, ruining my social life

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laciemn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs New Member

Some of what you have said: tunnel vision with regards to writing and not thinking/doing anything else, finding it hard to stop yourself writing, anxiety when you do stop etc. follows the pattern of addictive behaviour. I am not saying you are an addict, or that you aren't. But it may be informative for you to research addictive personality - I have one myself and I find it's better managed with self-awareness.

I suffer from much of what you have shared and I try to use it as a positive as much as possible. It certainly makes me a better creative but probably a worse person to be around and less of all the other things I am meant to be - mother, daughter, sister, friend...

I also get high from writing, I don't always eat or get enough sleep when deep into writing, and I get snappy with people who interupt my writing. For me those issues, as well as some others, are related to my bi-polar.

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I think that's a little extreme. I've sold three short stories and written many film reviews for the websites I volunteer for (free dvds!) and I've never had to abandon my social life. I still manage to get all my school work done, spend lots of time with my boyfriend and go out with my mates. I also spend time with my housemates and go home to see family. I manage all of this whilst still having loads of time to just sit around and write if I choose to.

It is a solitary occupation, but not 100% of the time. I guess it's solitary, in my case, up until the first draft is finished. What's that? A couple hours? A few hours a day, if it's a novel? I don't believe that anybody with a natural aptitude for writing will have to make major sacrafices in order to improve. You just have to be dedicated and consistant with the amount of time you are able to use up.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, it depends on someone's character really.

I can think of many writers who most definitely didn't only spent their lives writing, going by their escapades. ;)

At times if there's a deadline or something, it may have to take precedence, but if it's a 'job' as it were, I know of many who keep a writing schedule, much as if it were a working day in the office. Then there's time calculated in for social life etc.

4. Ashleigh

A lot of proffessionals work this way, but then that's because time is money, in their case. I guess if you're being paid, then you'd have to time it as you would a job to get maximum potential out of yourself each day.

Even still, one must always make time for play. All work makes Jack a dull boy...and he starts scrawling REDRUM all over the house and searching around for an axe. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

That's what I mean, there's the 'day at the office' and then there's social life.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Exactly.

Shakespear Was a husband, a father, an actor (strolling player) and goodness knows what else? yet he still managed to churn out large amounts of the greatest lit. ever.
    Robbie Burns had a wife, children, a number of mistresses, a full time job farmer/ excise-man and I think he liked to pay a visit to the local. Yet he also managed to produce great works.
    And both these great men didn't have the benefit of a computer - they did it with a quill and ink.

The thing is finding the right balance - between work and play.
    Like someone as already said 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' and I would imagine that a dull boy would produce dull work.

7. Ashleigh

I think a dull boy would certainly produce dull work. I guess that's why you get so many extremists behind every form of art.

Stephen King would be another example; the man churns out 10 novels a day, and still managed a wife and kids. Sure he churned out some trunk novels, but the point is he got the work done. I believe he gives himself "office hours" because he's paid to, but I think he specified in "On writing" that he loves to go on walks when he needs to clear his head. Wasn't so great when the accident occurred I guess, but still...:p

Until you're at the level where you are paid to work, I wouldn't even suggest you spent every day writing. Quality over quantity, after all; you just gotta be consistant, persistant, and willing to evolve and try new things. No need to sacrafice anything.