1. Reximus

Reximus New Member

Odd question - Bible Quotes

Discussion in 'Research' started by Reximus, Jan 23, 2010.

This question I admit is kind of odd and would be difficult to answer.

I have a half-demon character named Korin who accepted religion to cope with a tragic past.

Kind of like Alexander Anderson in Hellsing, but not so twisted I want him to quote the bible in a cool manner right before entering into a fight.

An example would be, "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil." As his demon arm morphs into a demonic blade and charges into battle.

However with a decent sized novel there will be many fights involving Korin.

So I need a source of quotes that would sound cool right before a fight. I think the bible would have too many quotes that aren't relevant so it would be a vague and hard to use source of quotes. I looked over many sites that have bible quotes but came up blank. :(

I know this may be too hard to answer but does anyone know of a way to find a large amount of cool-sounding quotes from the bible or any other old scripture?

Thanks and I appreciate any advice given.

2. Nackl of Gilmed

Nackl of Gilmed New Member

Found a repository of war-specific Bible quotes for you. There's a lot of ones referring to specific tribes and events that wouldn't work so well for what you intend, but there's some good ones mixed in there too.
    http://www.bible.ubr.com/american-standard-bible/bible-quotes/war-quotes/old-testament.aspx

A couple that stood out for me:
    "Come, let us deal wisely with them, lest they multiply."
    "How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!"
    "He teacheth my hands to war, so that mine arms do bend a bow of brass."

3. John Bender

John Bender Banned

I guess to scan the bible would still be one of the most straightforward ways to get what you want.

Especially as I assume the quote will have to match the particular fighting situation...

Not very helpful I guess, but meant to encourage you to still face up to the tome...

4. fandango

fandango New Member

If you really want to get into Korin's head, then I'd agree that you really should be doing this the hard way. Now you don't have to read through the whole bible, but perhaps Korin has a favourite book from where all his quotes come from. Do a bit of research on which book/s might reflect and shape your MC.

5. Cacaw

Cacaw New Member

Is that about the Leviathans?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm sure if you google creatively, you'll find bible-based sites where you can do a quote search by theme/keyword...

7. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

I kind of agree with Fandango and John Bender as much as I hate to say, sometimes writing a story requires some studying. I had to do nearly 2 days of studying about Romania, Hungry, Elizabeth Bathory, Vlad the Impaler, along with history times from 1400 all the way through to 1800's. It's a lot of work and not fun at all, but if you really want to get into his head and know what he means, i would suggest maybe going to bible studies or reading through it for the quotes.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

While you're googling, try mixing the word concordance in with bible.

9. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Or just go to BibleGateway, which has lots of translations (the King James version seems to be the default for those who want to use the Bible for literary rather than religious purposes) which has good concordancing. But that still doesn't make it easy to find a quote when you don't already know what the quote is.

10. Nackl of Gilmed

Nackl of Gilmed New Member

No, it was in reference to some nearby tribe that had to be extinguished in the name of the Lord's eternal glory.

11. Reximus

Reximus New Member

I did a lot of searching and thought about it realistically. To get so many quotes that fit so well with the situation in a seemingly cool manner I decided against it. I instead am trying to come up with my own fictional biblical phrases by teaching myself early-modern English. Like in the same manner as the bible and in the Shakespearean play. Thanks for the effort though guys I appreciate it :-D.