1. odolmen

odolmen Member

Odolmen's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by odolmen, May 2, 2015.

Hi everyone!

I've been writing for... four years now? Sounds about right.
    Anyway, last november I went for the NaNoWriMo and it worked and I was super-stoked about the whole experience so I figured, I came this far, might as well continue!
    I've been having trouble writing on a daily basis so this journal thingy might work for me.
    I usually blog about big writing-and-other-artsy-shenanigans outbreaks, but that mostly happens in French soooo... Here. Migrating to the english-speaking world.

My story went under the title Sugar Red during the NaNoWriMo, 'cause they don't give much love to people who get writer's block one line off the top of the page.
    Anyway, I started rewriting the parts that I'd already written and now, it's called, ta-daa,

Jolly Carols for the Dead and Dying
    (although that may change again)
    I have this thing where I like my plots the same way I like my salads: made. Of. Everything.
    Fantasy setting, think Venice, built in Greece by Indians. With fingerpaint. Also, snow.
    Immortal, illiterate, sugar-worshipping, Christmas-spirited stuffed-animal people.
    Candy. Lots and lots of candy.
    Sugar-crazed kids roaming the streets at night.
    Christmas.
    Wartime experiments on live subjects.
    An awkward support group.
    And one single human, goes by the name "The Fixer", who's supposed to tend to the stuffed folk whenever they rip something.
    Which happens.

Also, I'm a die-hard planner. Got the whole thing planned. Almost. I usually start writing when I'm looking for ideas to pour into my plan, that's how bad it gets.

Anyway, for the first time since november, I started writing again! As in, real paragraphs, complete with grammar and all! So that's good.
    Out of the 99 pages I'd written for the WriMo, I'm not sure how many fit the plot. There's gonna be some trimming. And heartbreaks.

I'll update this thread when I finish today's writing session.
    Thank you for stopping by!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    peachalulu likes this.
  2. odolmen

odolmen Member

I wrote 2004 words today.
    It's gonna take some more time to make those awkward silences work on paper, but I mustn't dwell on editing right now. I need to get the story moving!
    Come to think of it, those 4 pages offered close to no plot development. Satisfying character moments, though!
    Shutting off for the night. Excited about tomorrow!

3. odolmen

odolmen Member

Jotted down 1000 words yesterday.
    Apparently, my antagonist is a die-hard animist. Makes sense coming from a stuffed animal, I guess.
    Also, smashing windows closed will chop off knuckles. But that's okay, he didn't seem hurt. Maybe he should have been.
    I now have a much clearer view of what the story-setting event is (will be going back to the first chapter to fix it), plus it helps me introduce a very important character who used to just dangle around the beginning of my first draft.
    Stuff is coming along!

The opening of the story is gonna be a bit lengthy though. Ah well.

4. odolmen

odolmen Member

Can't believe I actually spent a whole 20 days without writing.
    Returning to it with fresh new ideas!
    One character who used to be part of the support cast has now been promoted to third main character!
    I now have this super-interesting triumvirate to work with:
    The Fixer, Mr. Sugarsmith(aforementioned animist antagonist), Roanie (for lack of a better name so far). She's female and is going to have a special relationship with the Fixer.
    I just have to find a way to tie her with the Sugarsmith (yup, Sugarsmith is both a name and a title) to balance the plot.

Oh and also, when the stuffed folk catch on fire (which also happens), they're moved to a village in the mountains.
    A whole village populated with living torches. Because they're dying, these people are the most lively of all, which is gonna be lots of fun writing about.
    (Approximative science behind the phenomenon would be that their insides are so rich that they can burn for years and years)
    Why didn't I think of that earlier? It'll be like... S'more city! I'm so excited!

Have I ever told you guys I felt like modern fantasy wasn't whimsical enough?

5. odolmen

odolmen Member

970 words later, I've got a dialogue all blocked-in!
    It's going to need some refining and some additional description - I don't have much of an idea where they are, which makes me sad because I like using settings as narrative tools.
    All I know is, there are archways, stucco and ants.