1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Off-site linking to member writing

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Wreybies, Oct 28, 2014.

A reminder to all that off-site linking to one's writing that is posted in other locations is prohibited. Threads or posts created in this manner should be reported when seen, not discussed, which only promotes the continued occurrence of off-site linking.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Is this separate from a link to Amazon? Which reminds me to remind new folks we have an Amazon site you can have a link to your book posted on: https://www.writingforums.org/bookstore/

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

We do have the Bookstore, which is the appropriate venue for display of one's published works. Thank you for mentioning it by the way. :) Every once in a while a member mentions having "just noticed" my signature, and I keep waiting for the flood of members' works available through Amazon. :-D So many members talk about "their book" on Amazon, I thought the wave of requests to include them was going to knock me ass over tea kettle, but I'm still standing, right side up. :whistle:

I'm talking about:
    • Posting in the Writing Workshop with a link to an outside location for a member's work. There are many reasons a member may do this, often answering to some flavor of "I've got it under lock and key over there, and it's the only way I feel safe to...." The Workshop is called what it's called for a reason. It's not called the Display Case, and it's not called My Secret Writing Place. It's a Workshop where new members should be able to intuitively see that this is a place to improve their skills. If this falls outside the member's personal need for armed guards and security, then that's what it is. We're not allowing links in the Workshop. Never have, never will.
    • Posting the aforementioned kinds of links in non-Workshop threads. This is almost never anything but a way to get around the Writing Workshop requirements and get critiques and opinions outside the guidelines. Poor form, and explicitly addressed in the Forum Rules.