1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

official/technical/essay writing

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Daniel, Sep 3, 2007.

What are some tips, tricks, and things not to do when writing technical writing or essays?

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Here are some suggestions:
    Do not ramble, keep things clear and to the point. Do not say the same thing in 5 different ways. Do not write something withoutbacking it up with facts and reasons. Do not fabricate to make your writing more interesting. Do not copy others work.(duh)
    Essays need to have a introduction with three mainpoints, then the next three paragraphs should derive from each point made. Then a closing paragraph summing everything up. I am not sure what technical writing means, but I am guessing it means something you would write for a paper? If thats the case then make sure you write word for word when using other peoples quotes.
    I am not sure if any of this helps. It is very jumbled around, but I wrote what came to me, so I hope you get something out of it.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    You don't need to have only three paragraphs of points. Just make sure every paragraph is tightly connected to one of the points you are trying to make. In university if you only have three paragraphs of points, unless they are very long and well written you wouldn't get a good mark. In high school its no problem though.
    Pretty much everything else Word said is gold.
    Why do you ask, if I know the circumstances, I can probably be more precise.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Three to five main points is ideal. It corresponds to the number of key items most people can grasp and remember in a single session. Threes are particularly strong, so much so that they have their owmn name - a triad.

Another recommendation is to follow your arguments in favor of your position with an acknowledgment and refutation of the strongest opposing argument, before summarizing your argument in the conclusion.

The conclusion should bring the reader's attention back to your 3-5 main points, and should not introduce any new arguments. It's purpose is to refresh the main points, so that is what your readers have in their mind when they have completed reading. For that same reason, don't remind them of the opposing position in the conclusion.

jannert likes this.
  5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Dooviye, even in a University paper, you will probably still have three to five main points. But each point will have its own section, with 3-5 subpoints supporting each one. In the conclusion, it is the 3-5 principal points that you summarize with.

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Thats what I meant, which is why I said paragraphs, not points. But I did say it poorly. Thanks for saying it a lot better then I did.

7. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

1.0 - Preamble

1.1 - In this essay I shall discuss the need to repeat each of your main points three times.

2.0 - The importance of repetition

2.1 - Repeating your points helps busy or stupid readers to understand them. All readers are busy or stupid and most are both. Therefore, repeat everything that you have to say three times: once in the preamble or foreword, once in the body text, and once in the conclusion.

3.0 - Conclusions

3.1 - From the arguments presented in this essay, you will see that your main points should be repeated three times.

1 person likes this.
  8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

If it helps at all, I'm thinking specifically of writing essays for college-entrance.

9. dwightallen

dwightallen New Member

Writing an essay is not difficult if the writer follows a formula. Essays might be composed in numerous structures which incorporate division and grouping; story and engaging; examination; contentious; influential; circumstances and end results; and correlation and contrast. Whichever structure the writer picks, the article might as well take after a particular form. A week ago, I had composed straightforward essay paper on short essay about family. It is exceptionally simple to compose straightforward paper.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If you're gonna quote anyone, make sure you include the original author in your footnotes and bibliography. Every solid essay should have a solid bibliography.

11. idle

idle Active Member

You realize this thread is six years old, right?

12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You're right, it is. However, somebody picked up on it, meaning it's still a relevant issue. Many of the threads on this forum can be picked up and added to later on, even if the original poster has already graduated with honours ...hi Daniel!