1. Tamarack

Tamarack New Member

If not now, when?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tamarack, Nov 19, 2013.

You know all those writers who gripe about people who say they want to write, read all the books about writing, but never actually ass-in-chair write. Well, that's me. I've wanted to write since I was a kid. I've read all the books, listen to interviews with writers, read the magazines. I was even a professional editor for a few years. But I'm turning 50 in two months and I've never written anything over 200 words that wasn't for marks.

A friend of ours just retired this year and we found out he's writing a book. He's published "hundreds" of articles over the years and now he writes every day.

It just so happens I've been temporarily layed off from my job so I thought: if not now, when? So I'm working on a story that's been rattling around in my head for years(?). I'm two weeks into the plot development and it's going...OK.

Wish me luck!

TessaT likes this.
  2. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Okay, good luck!

3. ThePfeifleFiles

ThePfeifleFiles New Member

Good luck to you! Would love to hear how the development continues, as I'm sure others would as well!

4. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Picasso states in one biography that "You don't learn to paint by not painting."

For some the ability to sit and write comes natural. Painting, chemistry, electronics, then math and medicine, came easy for me from the get go, but writing and even reading a bit, came more begrudgingly. Sounds like you are writing and that is the beginnings of learning to write.

Thought I'd see who else was standing in the "join" line. Good luck and hope to see you with progress.

5. Tamarack

Tamarack New Member

Thanks!

6. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Good luck to you, mate, and bloody good for you to finally do what you wanted to do all these years.

TessaT likes this.
  7. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

Hell yeah!! Get to it, and we're here for help, punishment, encouragement, and procrastination if needed (and when not needed!). :p

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have to admit to having had a Tracy Chapman moment there when I read the title. :)

Find people who encourage you. Like... us! And in your real life as well. If they don't exist in your natural habitat, seek them out where they are. Create some expectation for yourself by sharing it with others.

P.S. I just noticed this was in the New Member Intro. With that said...

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please have a look through the Forum Rules, and the FAQ as a start.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

9. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Alright! You get after it, now. :cool: Never give up. Never give in. Just keep pushing and make it happen.