1. Sir Ender

Sir Ender Senior Member

Oh, stupid writer's block.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sir Ender, Jan 29, 2008.

Ah writer's block, how it mocks me so.

In this case, it's not so much of a case of laziness, more a case of no will to write no matter how much I want to I guess is how I'll describe it.

I have a story. I have a plot. I've just had no inspiration to write. At all. My characters feel empty. I've tried giving them depth, which in turn made them cliché. My story line is going no where at the moment, although I know where I want it to end up.

How do you guys deal with writer's block?

Any tips with making a story enjoyable to write?

2. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I'm having the same problem right now with a new story. The first few chapters were great. After that--it was almost like the excitment and good plot development deflated. I'm going to take a break from that story. Maybe you should do the same with yours. Come back to it later. And maybe pick up a book that seems to be written in the same style and pay very close attention to how it's written. That's always helped me.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I usually bang my head against the block until one of us breaks. Keep trying. Do writing exercises, try to remove any and all stress from your life. Put signs all over your room saying "Why aren't you writing?" Keep plugging away.
    And if that doesn't work, take a vacation. Spend a week or two and don't think about writing at all. It may refresh you.

4. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributing Member Contributor

I've always found the longer you put it off the lesser the chance you'll ever return to it. Two weeks would be the maximum to put it off. That's all I'm giving myself right now, because I'm absolutely stuck at 10,000 words, yet I know how to continue, and want to, but am just too lazy.

5. SMTM

SMTM Member

best way to get past writers block, I think is probably remembering why you write anything in the first place

6. Stinger

Stinger Senior Member

I have never experienced such thing.

7. evizaer

evizaer Contributing Member

Write something. Anything. And keep writing until something good comes out. Remember: Even if you write 900 words of crap for every 100 words of good stuff, you'll still be 100 words of good stuff better than you were! And you may later find some good stuff in the crap.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

All I can suggest is to ride it out mate. Writers block comes and goes all the time, just get used to using the time well when you are inspired to write. Even if you wake up at three in the morning with an idea, get it wrote down as it might help. Try practicing whenever you get the urge, even if it is crap.

One thing I would say is do not try and force yourself to write. Start doing this and it becomes a chore, keep doing it and you go off writing alltogether. Just sit it out. :)

Heather

9. DavidHG

DavidHG New Member

Here's what I do: stop writing. If I'm having trouble with a manuscript, I let it breathe and give myself space.

10. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

Pretty much what everyone else said: take a break from it, but certainly don't neglect it. If you get even a tiny draft of inspiration, use it. A draft can swiftly turn into a gale.

As for me personally, I may write short little stories about the characters that are in the story I'm currently focusing on. A day in the life of Jade, a tale of heroism by Wolf, one of Krista's elaborate traps laid for her friends... It helps my interest to return a lot more quickly.

11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

Two things you can do. One, you try to get rid of this "writer's block." Two, you deal with it. I would encourage you to at least attempt to write (even if it's a different story than the one you intend to work on). In my experience the best way to overcome writer's block is to write. ;)

12. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Lpsider,

I agree with you. Creative block is a luxury. Stop giving yourself permission to not write. Stop telling yourself that you can't write, and just write. If it's crap, toss it in the wastebasket and write something else. It's appallingly easy to lose the habit of writing every single day. The longer you stay away from it, the harder it is to get back to it.

Start another writing project. Write a short story about a twelve-foot tall, purple-skinned, 17-armed race of people who live on a lost island. Write essays on the South American blister beetle and how it affects your existential angst. Write limericks, dirty or otherwise. Write letters to your congressman. But write something.

Change your process. If you normally write longhand, try composing directly on the keyboard. If you are usually a keyboard composer, try writing with pen and paper. Dictate into a recorder.

Change the locations you write. Instead of your desk, find a picnic table at the park, or a table at the library, or a city bus.

Oops, I rambled. *stepping off the soapbox*
    Just my tuppence,
    RR

13. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

Whenever I come across writer's block, I'll either take a break from writing it for awhile, or I'll go back and do some editing on the piece. Doing so could help give you some reminders on the story (as well as give you some editing experience), and also give you a chance to think over what you're writing about. Right now I go back to other manuscripts I've "finished" for some polishing.

Reading good books while taking a break from writing can also help.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

I don't think there is such thing as a "writer's block". Just always give yourself something to do with writing and it'll all come naturally. Never slack off in something you enjoy doing and/or pursue to one day make a career out of. You'll never get anywheres.

15. AWR

AWR Member

Take a walk - in a good way

Ah, writers block.

If it relates to a particular story I normally ask myself a question, or ask one of the characters a question, and then go for a long walk. Then I don't try to think about it. I'll plan my shopping list, figure out what to have for dinner, wonder what that tree is and then, if all goes well, an idea will insinuate itself amongst the general ramblings of my thoughts.

If its writers block in general there's nothing I can really do except relax, read books and newspapers, talk to people and wait for that first germ of an idea that beckons to me.

16. (Mark)

(Mark) Contributing Member

Lately when I've suffered from it, I go and stand on my third floor balcony and watch the cars drive back and forth on the road out front. It seems to do the trick. Then again, I don't think about what I'm writing at all while I'm out there.

17. Calypso

Calypso Member

What I do is I try roleplaying for a bit, just to get words out and ideas down so that you don't lose touch with your writer's side. If you wait the writer's block out for too long, you'll find yourself not wanting to write for months. And that can be even harder on the mind that's used to writing.

18. sawa1600

sawa1600 New Member

I think you're right. That's the best way to get past writers block.

19. Klee

Klee Contributing Member

When I get that I just talk the story over with a friend, explaining the characters and the plot to someone else really helps me get going.

20. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Contributing Member Contributor

Write a story about writer's block called "Writer's Block".

21. Milady

Milady Contributing Member

My new tactic is to do what I would never do if I were truly sane-- give up on concocting a novel for the moment and just write a short story.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do to beat my own writer's block... maybe my point here is to think outside the box or try a new angle. I am the teensiest bit more motivated... :)