1. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes New Member

Waves to the gang

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scribbledhopes, May 2, 2008.

Hello all,
    I have been lurking a bit before I registered to find out if I was a bit out of my league but I have found you warm and welcoming so I thought I would get my toes wet.

I like many others write for the love of it, not because I want to become rich or see my name somewhere, but because I really can't stop and stay sane. I am an artist down to my bones, ink and Paint have been my canvas and I admit I do very well with them, but deep inside my true craft is writing, when I fall into that world I lose myself to it.

You may find my choice wierd as I suffer from Dyslexia and Bipolar condition, which as you can imagine would hamper my ability at even attempting to become even a simple writter. Lousy english grades because of the dyslexia and no colledge left me feeling unsure and inferior.

I am tired of wearing that coat.

So I have jumped in both feet into my novel, sixteen chapters in now and going strong, and I have many hopes for it. I have a little fan club of trusted friends and family who have been testing out a few of the first chapters, and a close friend who proof reads for other fiction novels who has been helping me with flow and is addicted to the story and encourages me all the time. That helps with the confidence.

But I am no fool, I know because of the lack of colledge I am missing many tools others have, I also know I will have to read and learn from the good people here. I will ask your forgiveness in advanced if I say something silly or foolish that seems common knowledge, Or if in a reply i invert a word or some other nonesense, I will do my best to screen this.

I am looking forward to becoming friends..To laugh and learn and hopefully encourage each other..

My son, once found me at the keyboard on my first computer whacking at the keys lost in one of my short stories.

He asked me If I was a writter,

I told him No,

I was a story teller.

I am an odd duck, :)

Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much. Be safe.

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

:) That was cute. Welcome

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hehe, welcome to the forums. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Hopes, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

As far as anyone ridiculing you for saying something "silly or foolish", our cardinal rule here is respect for other members. Any writer who thinks he or she is above learning has the most of all to learn.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

5. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome to the forums.

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Oh, how intriguing you are..Welcome to you...I think you will enjoy this place and the members nicely!!

7. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to WF.org. I hope that you find your time here both pleasant and enjoyable.
    Take your time to look around and get to know the rules and the way the forum works. Also don't forget to check out the poetry and short story competitions. We currently have two running, along with the major short story contest where there is a cash prize.
    On behalf of the reviewers, I would just like to let you know that if you would like a review of your work and have not received one, or you would like further reviews, just send one of us a PM and we would be more than happy to take a look as soon as we have the time.
    There are lots of areas to get involved in, joint writing ventures, discussions all over the place and our community lounge where we can chat about anything in life, within reason.
    Any questions, there are plenty of us around to ask. Our moderator base are very friendly and extremely helpful and always there if they are needed.
    So all that out the way, have fun and see you around the boards.
    Torana

9. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

hye and welcome, I've often seen dyslexic people being treated unfairly. Nice to know you have support. Recently watched a movie on dyslexia. Would've advised you to too, only it's in Hindi. My sis had dyslexia too, but we helped her out, and she's going pretty strong now.

As for college, it does not define person. Cos at the end of the day, people see your work, not your degrees. And college can be taken up anytime if you want to pursue further studies..

Nice having you here...look to see you around.

10. InPieces

InPieces New Member

Welcome :) I'm very pleased that you deemed this forum to be warm and welcoming, I would never want it to come off any other way. If you decide to post some work, I'd be happy to read, as I am in the middle of my first novel as well (18 chapters).

See ya around :)

~ InPieces

11. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Welcome to WF! I envy your drive to get 16 chapters down, dyslexia or not! :D My dad's bipolar, not much fun but I'm glad you can work through it. And don't worry, even the non-dyslexic have typos and horrible spelling (I'm guilty of both, thus the 'Mumbling' in my moniker). And how much education you have isn't always as important as how you use it.

Glad to meet you.

12. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hi there, welcome to the forums :)