1. Master of Shadows

Master of Shadows New Member

OK I'll try this...

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Master of Shadows, Jan 4, 2008.

Well, like some people have recommended, I have come to the reviewing threads to try and review some peoples' work. Since I'm not that experienced, it would be nice if you gave me stories and not poems for now. PM me if you want me to review something.

2. Klee

Klee New Member

It would be better if you browsed around for stories you'd like to review yourself instead of asking us to bring them to you.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hi, Master of Shadows.

This particular forum contains discussions of how to review peoples writings. Take a look through if you're stumped on how to get started - it can be quite a challenge!

The actual reviewing process takes place in the Review Room forums, which are divided into subforums by category.

Reviewing isn't really a separate skill from writing. A good writer needs to be able to look critically at his or her own work to find flaws, or places where the writing could be even more effective. That is why this site places such an emphasis upon it.

Have fun! Once you get into it, it's a marvellous exercise for creativity.

4. Master of Shadows

Well I hope that I'll be any good at it, but first I have to find someone who wants me to review their work.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Master, the reviewing forum is at the bottom of the page. Take a look around it and just review any peice that is there. If someone has posted in the reviewing section, then they want a review, so don't worry about it. :)
    Heather

6. Master of Shadows

Ok thanks. Yeah, I'm kind of in the mindset that my opinion doesn't matter, so...yeah. It's almost like I can't have an opinion because for some reason I tend to take offense from critizism.

7. Klee

Klee New Member

That's not true at all! Any opinion is valuable, even if it's not deep and constructive criticism about the grammar or style, even a few words of encouragement and your personal thoughts are enough for some, specially those who are not confident if their work.

This is a pretty nice forum with some very nice people in it, so I'm sure no-one would offend you on purpose. Good luck~

8. Master of Shadows

Well I would like to voice my opinion and I know that nobody here would offend me purposely, but it seems like my pride comes out just as bad when I want my opinion to. Which results in offense taken from your very nice critizism....But I will respect your words and see if I can voice my opinion and just calm myself down before I feel offended.

9. Myopic Chihuahua

Myopic Chihuahua Banned

Just try to look at other's criticism towards your work as if you are an outsider looking in... almost like you are pretending that it wasn't you that wrote it. That helps me a lot. Also, I try to always remember that I want to be the very best writer that I can be and if that means listening to a lot of criticism about my work, then I am happy to do that. Thinking like that really helps me to have a positive attitude when my stuff is critiqued. And you know, you won't agree with everyone but you don't have to defend the stuff you don't agree with. I usually agree with about 90%... the other 10% I just ignore all together.

10. Master of Shadows

Well, thanks, that's really helpful! I'll give it a shot.