Tags:
  1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Does this fall where I think it does?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, May 3, 2011.

Okay, I find myself in a weird position with this story because I usually hate sci-fi western, and yet I'm making a story in this particular subgenre. I don't know what's called even, but I know this.

There are two main characters who hate each other, a lot. They're both protagonists however, as both drive the plot forwards not traditionally associated with the antagonist-protagonist scheme, although perhaps this is still such a relation which if it is I don't know which is which. Why do they hate each other so heavily? Well, a number of reasons, which include everything from them ruining each others relationships with family, friends, and lovers, to massive jealousy of each other and the immense damage each has done to the other.
    They've been trying to kill each other since they were both 14, and our story is at the point where both are 23. That's 9 years, and in that time they've both become classified as violent criminals with 20 million dollars on each of their heads from property damage in worth of millions of dollars, 12 known cases of 2nd degree murder, 3 known cases of first degree murder, hundreds of cases of assault, 16 known cases of armed robbery, 7 known cases of hijacking, one for performing an illegal medical surgery, and the other for 20 known cases of drug dealing. I keep saying known because of the state of law enforcement on the planet, there are many illegal actions that never get reported. As for each other, one has lost an arm to the other, and the other has lost all of his siblings to the violence of the other, which he used to have four of.
    The setting is a desert planet which has little law enforcement because of the wild nature of the planet, and because of rampant corruption. The former is that the desert has made it economically only useful for people who want to escape trouble basically. If you get charged with something there, it's because you attacked a public official, or attacked something to do with them. The exception is the illegal medical surgery, which is installing a weapon into someone's body, and drug dealing because both of these can cause interest to peak from other planets. The ,"authorities," of the planet don't want that to happen, so try to keep that part under control.
    Okay, the reason I wonder whether this is a space western is for this reason. A. It takes place on a wild planet that has the theme of the old West with the desert and lawelessness.
    I mentioned all the other stuff because I'm wondering those appear in Space Western often or not, and also if there are any stories with this central theme of two characters hating each other. I emphasize that neither is particularly good or bad compared to the other, they have both committed numerous crimes, but also have both done numerous good things for people before. For examples of the latter, both have constantly saved lives through combat and free stuff, have exposed corrupt officials in ways that got them arrested from off planet authorities, and finally, one has saved a person's life with their medical skills for free while the other has before done great things in public office as a mayor. They also are both protagonists not just because we see both of their perspectives, but also because both are morally the same and because neither is particularly justified in wanting to kill the other by comparison.
    Any help with the concept of all of this would also be appreciated.

2. Bran

Bran New Member

sorry i toke so long, im busy with my stuff at the moment

it sounds really good, but you (as a person) like to get really logical and specific, which is perfectly okay. but one piece of advice for you is to relax and loosen up :) as for advice, what exactly are you looking for?

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Well, whether you've seen this concept before for one thing. I try to be very unique to say the least, since I think creativity is one of my stronger points. Besides that, I'm wondering whether anything about this tale says it belongs in the Space Western genre. Otherwise, just over all thoughts on it.

4. Bran

Bran New Member

it sounds similar to western plots. but with a space twist. i myself have never heard of this plot elsehwere, but it probably is out there. just give it a good twist (which it seems you have, with the depth of the characters). i like it. go for it

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Good. I certainly will once I can post the first chapter here, mainly because it needs some good chiseling through criticism, and then I think I'll be off to a good start. However, I still got another 12 days before that, so that could be awhile. Thanks for the help though. Hope to see more from you soon.

6. Bran

Bran New Member

im glad to be of service. i hope to help you more in the future with critiques and such :)

7. Robert.M

Robert.M Member

I am not sure if this would help you but you should watch the "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The two main characters might help you with your main characters and the setting too.

8. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Oh, thanks. That's a good point, I'll remember that.