1. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

Old Mans War by John Scalzi

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ENJOY, Mar 23, 2012.

Just recently read this book and instantly fell in love with it. I not sure what you would call the genre humorus science fiction I suppose. So I was wondering whether any had read this book or if they know of any books like it.

This is literally the first science fiction I have read so suggest anything. Please!

2. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" series is typically classified as military science fiction. There are sequels the to the origianl but IMHO they're not as good as the first. If you enjoyed it, you might also enjoy the "Aldenata" series by John Ringo, the first one is A Hymn Before Battle. In a nutshell, rampaging aliens are coming, an alien race enlists humans to do what it seems we do best: make war. They provide technology, we provide bodies. Good mix of action, humor, tech.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Scalzi's books is sort of an homage to a type of classic science fiction novel, such as Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. If you liked Old Man's War, my recommendation would be that you look at The Forever War next.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Langadune, metioned John Ringo's Posleen War series. I've read the first 4 novels in the series and enjoyed them, more than Old Man's War, but it's just a matter of taste. Scalzi's novel is very good.

You might also enjoy Armor by John Steakley.

5. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

I got Old Man's War sitting on my shelf next to Armor, ready to read them both.

Just read The Forever War. Simply incredible.