1. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Old stories, new songs.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Kenn, Aug 1, 2012.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing to do. I have been writing songs for quite some time now and I recently just discovered my passion to write stories. But I find myself "stealing" sentences from these stories to write a song. Although the story has nothing to do with the songs lyrics. What are your thoughts on this and can you relate?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If the stories are yours, you can re-use them any way you want. You are the copyright owner, and can safely grant yourself free use of tghe material without fear of litigation. Although I suppose you COULD try to file suit against yourself...

This is not a critiquing question, so I am moving it to General Writing.

3. EldritchDwarf

EldritchDwarf New Member

I do not see any reason that you should not be able to borrow stuff from your songs. I have read Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which takes the best parts from two of his unpublished novels, so go ahead. ;)

4. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Cognito,

Not necessarily depending on certain issues. John Fogerty wrote the words for every Creedance song out there yet when he went solo, Fantasy records sued him for plagiarism! The song is question was "Old Man Down the Road" and the CCR song "Run Through the Jungle." He won when he played the intro's in court on guitar...but he was getting sued for plagiarizing himself... *shakes head*

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

[​IMG]

;)

6. Kenn

Kenn New Member

I apologize Cognito for posting in the wrong spot. After reading all your comments I won't have that thought in the back of my mind.

Thanks captain kate for the piece of history.