1. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Old Story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Killer300, Jul 13, 2011.

You ever write something, leave it alone for awhile, and then when you come back, it looks horrible? I have this story called, "To Learn to Empathize," and it's like that. I wrote way back when I had only been seriously writing for a couple months at that point. My writing has improved immensely stylistically since then, however the plot itself is great. It alternates between dark humor and dark drama. But... it would be so hard to salvage in its current stage. Thoughts on all of this? Your own experiences? Very curious.

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Yes, I have something of the likes. A certain manuscript of mines is up to its tenth revision. This manuscript is the first one I ever wrote and is constantly being changed as I improve. It is sort of like a record of how far I have come. When I compare my current works to the old ones, I can clearly see how bad I was at writing. Naturally, my penmanship and style drastically improved over the years. Going back to see how things were after a long time always bring a smile to me.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

Actually, I'm quite the opposite. I feel kind of guilty most of the time because I don't feel that I write enough prose; at least not enough that I complete. I look back at the pieces that I've finished with pride, because I realise how much I accomplished with them.
    The prose in them is far more stunning than I feel I can currently write, the emotions are conveyed in a simpler, more beautiful way.

In truth, I feel as though I'm devolving, even though I know I'm not.

I do have a plotline that I wrote (back in February, I think?) that I really want to begin writing, but I don't seem to be able to find the write way to write it. I don't know whether I'd rather do it all from one character's point of view, or switch, or do it in any particular order of scenes. The problem is that I've got more knowledge of it than I need for the story, and I don't usually have this problem.
    It doesn't look horrible to me, though. It's just bewildering, a little bit.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Absolutely. A lot of the time my writing's improved so much I don't recognize my past stuff.

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I really don't have any old stories on file, until I found one in the Writing Workshop from November. The writing looks terrible. And it has no plot line to it either. I even forgot what the novel is about. Unfortunately, I don't write it anymore, neither do I even write novels anymore. I still enjoy writing though. :cool:

6. thatguy

thatguy Member

I used to hate everything I put to the page. A few years back I got drunk and smashed my computer to pieces, killing hundreds of thousands of words... I can't remember half of those stories. Now what am I going to learn from them?

Shity stories are good lessons, brother.

7. Killer300

Killer300 Active Member

Yeah, and what's so interesting about this one is it was the beginning of my current style.

8. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

I think what you descibe right here is why it is advised to let things sit for a while before you edit.

9. VTitus

VTitus New Member

I can relate completely. i have been working on a fantasy novel for several years and have restarted it 4 times. i occasionally skim over the older versions and its funny how quirky and dull they are. the first version being a rude rip off a late 90s video game and lord of the rings. i was probably 11 at the time though so im not totally ashamed. six years later some major scenes still occur and its exciting to compare them. im writing on a phone right now because my computer has no internet. i dont know how to get capital letters since the shift key shuts the phone apparently...

10. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

As long as the story was good, I consider it good. The writing can always be improved on. If it's just my writing, I am horrified by stuff I wrote less than a year ago, and I've been writing almost everyday for thirteen years now. You'd think I had improved enough to go longer without it changing THAT much.

The first stories I ever wrote do make me cringe a little though. They were all about ME and my sick little childhood fantasies.

11. katica

katica Senior Member

First drafts (if that is what it was) are always trashed and completely re-written by me.

12. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

For me it works both ways. Sometimes I realize it is crap and leave it with a feeling of frustration, only to come back to it later and reconsider it. and then there are early things I wrote that make me think "how could I write something like this?" with a sense of shame. but it is also a little funny (the last option) because it makes me aware of how much I have grown since then, and THAT is always a pleasant thought. :)