Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

old vs young

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by 123456789, Oct 30, 2014.

2. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

To be fair, that age group did have to walk uphill both to and from school in 4 feet of snow while planning their route near bomb shelters in case those freedom-hating commies decided to nuke the US.

Adenosine Triphosphate and Okon like this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

The US endured quite the ice age, I must say. ;) :p

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

Yes, but that's nothing compared to my Great-Aunt...Constitution Hill was actually steeper when she was young.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You forgot barefoot...

But is it the very young or the very old who are most likely to walk into a lamp pole because they are completely absorbed interacting with a tiny slab o' tech? Is it the very old or the very young who fell in love with the selfie? Is it the very old or the very young who embraced the idea that the whole world waits with bated breath for the next answer to "What are you doing right now?"

In truth, there is no age requirement to the Self-Fascination Club. Nor do they need a membership drive.

6. 123456789

Their excuse is theyre young. Old people should know better than to only care about things that namely help them, mainly so that they can spend more time holding up the check out line with their check books.

7. Cogito

Seriously? And you're giving a pass on the very young because they're young and stupid? Wow!

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

So I'm walking to work, crowded street. This young guy comes running in the opposite direction, holding hands with a girl. I stop. He runs into me. He calls me an idiot. Because he ran into a stationary object.

9. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Part of the problem with many of the 65+ that take part in these polls, is they live on fixed incomes and at this stage in life, that isn't going to change. So for them, when it comes down to whether more jobs get created, or if they are going to get a bump in their fixed income, you can only guess what kind of things they are going to find more important. After all who takes care of the elderly anymore these days compared to the number of 20 and 30 somethings that are still living with their parents and grandparents?

10. Cogito

You took up space in his trajectory. How selfish of you!

11. 123456789

I was joking about the checkbooks .
    But look, let's say you're 70 years old. Your best years are long behind you and your days left are numbered. And, according to this poll, you most likely don't want the government to spend money on education, eg . the future. That's pretty much as selfish as you can get.

12. Lewdog

No, it's about survival and knowing there is only so much water in the bucket. Should we just ignore old people and hope they just disappear? Well they can't afford to live if they are on a fixed income and everything goes up but their checks don't. Education reforms can be made without constantly just throwing more money at the problem. The same can't be said for inflation.

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's rather selective of you. The bar graph (because I don't care to read the article, sorry) shows all age groups predictably favoring the things that one would expect favors the respective age groups.

14. 123456789

Here's the link I should have put it up.
    http://www.utenergypoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/UT-Energy-Poll1.pdf

It's not just about education.

" Fifty-six percent of younger consumers say they are willing to pay much higher prices to
    protect the environment, compared with only 20 percent of respondents age 65 and older.
     Sixty-eight percent of survey respondents under age 35 say they would be more likely to
    vote for candidates who support steps to reduce carbon emissions, compared with 50
    percent of those age 65 and older.
     Support for renewable sources of energy is considerably stronger among younger
    consumers, with nearly 2 out of 3 (65 percent) favoring an expansion of financial incentives
    for companies engaged in renewable technologies. Less than half of older respondents (48
    percent) say they would support candidates who endorse such incentives. Likewise, 62
    percent of younger respondents favor requiring utilities to obtain a percentage of their
    electricity from renewable sources, versus 48 percent of older voters.
     Younger consumers also strongly support subsidies for renewable energy, with 72 percent
    saying they back federal government support, compared with 58 percent among Americans
    age 65 and older.
     Fifty-two percent of respondents 65 and older say they are familiar with hydraulic
    fracturing for fossil fuel extraction, compared with 39 percent of younger Americans.
    Among those familiar with the term, only 37 percent of younger survey respondents
    support its use, compared with more than half (52 percent) of Americans age 65 and older."

15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I don't think spending money on Social Security or the military is any more or less selfish then job creation or education. They're all useful.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  16. 123456789

Well, you can see here in most cases (of the categories list there) it's three age groups vs one, which would suggest otherwise.

17. 123456789

Also, I'm going to go ahead and argue that education should be a primary goal. More educated people means most likely better research. Better research means better technology. Technology solves problems.

18. Cogito

Education solves problems, not technology. Ignorance causes problems. Ignorance plus technology compounds problems.

19. 123456789

Either way you have it, education is good!

20. Lewdog

They are all good to have, but money isn't unlimited and you can't spend away all your problems.

21. 123456789

Here Cogito, this article is for you.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/20/baby_boomers_ruined_america_why_blaming_millennials_is_misguided_and_annoying/

An excerpt "
    The millennials may take lots of selfies and tweet about the mundane, but it is those same people who are facing unprecedented challenges now and will continue to face them in the future. Is it this generation that will be burdened with achieving environmental sustainability in balance with a growing economy and energy demands, making sure Social Security and Medicare are still funded at appropriate levels when we’re seniors, preserving and defining social liberties in the age of technology, and beating back resurgent and bellicose global antagonists.

So, Mr. and Mrs. Baby Boomer, next time you get annoyed with your seemingly lazy or self-obsessed millennial, just remember that your parents thought the same thing about your hippie generation, with only one major difference: millennials lack the solid economic, political and social bedrock that was provided to you by your hardworking parents."

Look, I'm not politically or historically savvy enough to make any big claims myself. I can tell you that there are quite a few intelligent, factual based articles on the internet that blame the boomers, and I, ever ignorant and ever curious, have been waiting to hear the other side...so far nothing nearly as substantial as those articles.
    Yes, defense is important. Yes, social security is important. But when you read about how the boomer generation specifically is benefiting from the social security, and you read all these other things about them (see below), and then you see this chart that shows they place little value on education or environment or job creation, yeah, I got to think selfish.

Here is what I think is a pretty damned good article debating the two sides. It's an argument between a 30 something year old man and his father, so it's a little more mature and even minded than you might expect from some of us slightly younger folks

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/who-destroyed-the-economy-the-case-against-the-baby-boomers/263291/

another good one that's shorter: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/12/13/baby-boomers-worst-generation/

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.